Angry Bee

Edwrai

I have recently bought a not bad condition yellow colour storm 1.6fsi the engine runs but I know there are a lot of problems and I really don’t want to chase after a 1.6fsi problems. So I have purchased a 1.6 lupo gti engine with 6 speed box. The lupo Gti engine is lovely with plenty of power for the weight and the most important bit for me it’s a light block so no heavy front end!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may be more sensible than my thoughts of a polo g40 conversion.

The g40 is an old engine also the supercharger is a nightmare. A avy lump is a good engine with power in the right places and keeps the a2 lightness!

So if they both cast iron, how will you a lighter front end, as you claimed?

RAB

I didn’t say it would be lighter I said it will stay light. As it will weigh about the same as the 1.6fsi but has more power and better power band.

So if they both cast iron, how will you a lighter front end, as you claimed?

RAB

Also the reason for this language is that most engine swaps I have seen done add a lot of front end weight

The g40 is an old engine also the supercharger is a nightmare. A avy lump is a good engine with power in the right places and keeps the a2 lightness!

You may be confusing your superchargers here, the G40 is a solid little supercharger, and very rarely breaks. Power of 125 - 140bhp is easily obtainable from a good G40 engine, and the block is reliable as well...

The G60 however (from Corrados and Golfs) has a reputation similar to the FSIs, although personally I think its ill deserved as I had two of them in Corrados and never had and issue with the superchargers doing probably 100k+ miles. The problems occurred (similar to FSI) when people didn't have them serviced properly. Unfortunately VW didn't actually service them themselves, it had to be somebody like BR Motorsport or Stealth to check the seals.

So what would be the best swap, if/when my 1.4 's engine dies? (touching wood)
1.6 BCB golf motor, BBZ skoda cams, BBZ/Polo gti inlet manifold and throttle body..........will run on 1.4i ecu without too many issues (bearing in mind most manufactures build in variables to allow for small differences in manufacture) 200cc will make a difference you'll notice...........you could run the BBZ ecu if you want to go to the trouble of coding immob etc............I'm in the middle of a similar conversion on my 1.6 FSI but with the additional need to rewire the engine loom and splice it into the central body loom.............. Hoping to see about 125bhp with a few tweeks........

After a long night, it’s in! Mounted on the FSI mounts and happy! Now the hard work begins!

Back