Another suspension question!

Richy

First post so hello fellow A2 owners.

I bought Boo last year as a cheap little run around that I was hoping would last me for a year before trading it in. Since then I’ve become quite attached to the little thing and want to hold on to her for a lot longer now, smitten!

I’ve got quite a few things needing done in the next couple of months, full service and timing chain/water pump next month before MOT due in July.

I’m pretty certain the rear shocks need replaced, rear passenger side for sure. Which leads me to my question! The front springs were replaced in January with standard springs as both had cracked. Now I’m thinking might as well change the rest of the suspension rather than doing it part by part as Boo will be in the family for a wee while yet.

I’ve read the ultimate suspension post so I’d imagine I need all the parts listed in that post then it’s choosing my rear springs, front and rear shocks and drop links?

What’s confused me about that post is all the suggested springs and shocks are for either sport or SE models. With Boo being a 1.4 petrol with new standard front springs can anyone suggest which shocks and rear springs I could purchase without any lowering etc or should I just keep everything standard?

Thanks in advance and apologies for posting another suspension query but I was bamboozled with all the options!

Thanks Howey. So if I get standard rear springs so they match up with the new front springs it’s only the shocks I need to think about. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Theres loads of standard springs so its a bit of a mine field but yes thats the theory!

Been from Yorkshire i went for KYB which in my experience are good quality at a very attractive price!

I fitted standard KYB in each corner, the back end does sit alittle lower than the front but that maybe how the A2 was designed?
If a ever change front springs a would like to lower it an inch but that said it handles fine as it is (refined driving only not into harsh driving burns too much diesel)

Thanks again, I’ll check them out. All in looking at around £500 for rear springs, shocks all round and all the parts listed in the ultimate suspension post I’d imagine before fitting! It’s going to be a costly few months!

Not a price i would entertain but each to their own and no doubt best for the longhaul!

Thanks again, I’ll check them out. All in looking at around £500 for rear springs, shocks all round and all the parts listed in the ultimate suspension post I’d imagine before fitting! It’s going to be a costly few months!
If you have tools the rears are very easy to do with 2 hours spare, tops. The fronts are harder, but still a diy job if you have a decent tool kit.

The springs are different if you have a panoramic roof, otherwise, have a look around ebay and I think your budget will be reduced considerably.

Ian

Yeah it’s all getting a little costly! £500 would be for the shocks, rear springs, drop links and all other related parts. Add labour and it will be close to £900 I’d imagine. Hmm, might need to think about a plan B as I’ve got £700 to pay for full service and timing belt/water pump to pay next month then MOT in July, yikes!

Compared to the depreciation of more modern cars I'm generally delighted with the servicing (and preventative maintenance) costs of our A2s. :D

Compared to the depreciation of more modern cars I'm generally delighted with the servicing (and preventative maintenance) costs of our A2s. :D
That's a good point. I regularly lose £5k per year in depreciation on my 'newer' cars. Plus, once the suspension is done you will have no other big ticket items to fail on the running gear for another decade!

As the fronts have recently been changed just replace the rear suspension and perhaps the front drop links this year before the MOT. KYB springs are fine and there is no need to go top of the range even as a keeper as that is down to financial ability. You are already having work done so have them replace the rear suspension at the same time unless you are willing to do it yourself.

A more important issue is that if you do not have two keys for the car get a second one A.S.A.P.

Thanks for all the advice. Audifan, yeah I have two keys for Boo. So I might be able to get away with just replacing the rear shocks and springs and front drop links? That would leave the original front shocks (coming up for 20 years old!) with everything else new. Hmm!

Thanks for all the advice. Audifan, yeah I have two keys for Boo. So I might be able to get away with just replacing the rear shocks and springs and front drop links? That would leave the original front shocks (coming up for 20 years old!) with everything else new. Hmm!
To change the front springs the whole strut has to be removed, so its a false economy to not change the shocks whilst they're out. The Bilstein shocks are cheap enough, I would be doing everything whilst the strut is out.

Do you have a open sky roof?

Ian

Hi Kleynie, the front springs were changed January this year as both the originals had cracked. Money was tight due to Covid so nothing in the kitty at that time for new front shocks. Now with the rears needing done was thinking about doing an overhaul all round (other than front springs).

Which Bilsteins are suitable for an A2 if you don’t mind me asking?

No Boo doesn’t have an open sky roof.

Oh, I see. Bilstein B4's are your friend for a cheaper good quality shock. I asked about the open sky roof as the rear springs will be different for open sky, but Bilstein B3's are available.
Here is a thread I did on the front overhaul, it will help you with the prices:

Ian

Last edited:
Yeah it’s all getting a little costly! £500 would be for the shocks, rear springs, drop links and all other related parts. Add labour and it will be close to £900 I’d imagine. Hmm, might need to think about a plan B as I’ve got £700 to pay for full service and timing belt/water pump to pay next month then MOT in July, yikes!
Crickey i really need to do more private work as full service with timing belt costs me around £120 in parts for the TDI

Oh, I see. Bilstein B4's are your friend for a cheaper good quality shock. I asked about the open sky roof as the rear springs will be different for open sky, but Bilstein B3's are available.
Here is a thread I did on the front overhaul, it will help you with the prices:

Ian

Thanks Ian. According to Demon Tweaks the B4 shocks don’t fit an A2?

My front shocks were 19years old when they were replaced. They were corroded and there ‘May’ have been misting but the garage wasn’t even sure. They certainly still worked fine as dampers.

I had them replaced along with a broken spring, my wishbone (with ball joint) and my top mount bearing which WERE failing. I did both sides of course anyway.

My rear shocks are the same age and appear fine. I’m going to replace the bump stops, the mounts and the springs (and the bolts too) but the shocks themselves don’t appear to need it.

Ageing gracefully seems to be the way of these little cars.

One clutch, two wishbones, four springs, some bearings and a few rubber bits in 245,000 miles is pretty okay with me and fingers crossed they all last another 19 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Kleynie, the front springs were changed January this year as both the originals had cracked. Money was tight due to Covid so nothing in the kitty at that time for new front shocks. Now with the rears needing done was thinking about doing an overhaul all round (other than front springs).

Which Bilsteins are suitable for an A2 if you don’t mind me asking?

No Boo doesn’t have an open sky roof.
So, front springs are new, so, shocks, top mounts and ARB bushes only there. If rear springs are not broken, just replace the shocks for now. See how you like the ride, then make an informed decision on changes after a few months typical driving.
Mac.

Back