20w Mono Solar Panel Battery Charging Kit,

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
UPDATE: changed from "Any good?: Maypole 7423A Battery Charger Auto Electronic 4A 12V" as in the end I bought a "20w Mono Solar Panel Battery Charging Kit,"

Just saw a video recommending the Maypole 7423A Battery Charger Auto Electronic 4A 12V. This is a so called maintenance charger, meant to be left in for long periods. It's on Amazon at £20.45 with 82% 5 stars and 10% 4 stars. A search on eBay shows 16 new and 15 used for sale suggesting not many happy with it. Maybe they don't realise that it fails to work if the battery is depleted (under 7.5v).

Anyone tried this product?

Due to limited mileage in my A2 and the battery being 5 years old, in the winter I regularly leave it for a few days on a dumb charger on the low setting (circa 1amp). I've permanently connected up an extension lead with a 2 pin socket from the battery to save routing in the lower boot (a pain if one has a space saver tyre). I run the lead out of the corner of the tailgate and into the garage where the charger is. Thinking about doing it via a waterproof trailer socket on the A2 and then into a waterproof socket on the wall of the house.

Last edited:
I have 3 Different CTEK chargers and is really satisfied with them. The oldest is 10 years old and by accident I performed a durability test on it. I had it connected to my BMW 750 with the battery in the trunk. The day after I drove off with the CTEK charger dragging behind the car. I got some strange reactions from other drivers without taking any notice. That charger is still working flawlessly.

This is the best solution: https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...ry-charger-suitable-for-a2.11986/#post-391124
No mains connection required. You need at least 20w because 60% is lost from the windscreen.
RAB

I can see the benefits of a non mains solution but is there enough sunlight in the winter?

A quick google found this

but it's quite big: 405mm x 345mm and might attract vandals to smash a window to nick it!

Thanks guys. I see the link RAB gave also recommends the CTek (back in the thread), so I will look into it.

I can see the benefits of a non mains solution but is there enough sunlight in the winter?

Tried and tested! I wouldn't go lower than 20w though, 30w probably better.

A quick google found this

but it's quite big: 405mm x 345mm and might attract vandals to smash a window to nick it!

I suppose it depends where you park the car but a 30w panel will only cost about £45. If they're likely to mess with an internal solar panel, what are they likely to do with an external mains lead?

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
CTek MXS7 user here. It's really rather good. And the connection options are awesome. I have the M6 rings directly on the battery with the quick connect in the boot. Works well.

- Bret

Maypole or Ctek or other work the same way and have very similar programs. At the end they swithes to float (maintain) tharging and are safe to leave for a longer time.

Price depends on brand, power output (more power is faster charging), warranty and quality of the components. But all they work and work similar. Better brand and higher price gives you longer warranty, more power and less chance of failure.

I bought charger from Lidl for 17 Eur because i am using it few times in winter so dont want to spend money on Ctek.

Update: almost bought a Ctek but decided that I didn't want the high initial charge of 8A as I'm usually in no hurry to charge and I do have a normal charger that I run on the low setting of 1A. So I took RAB suggestion and bought this PV panel with charge control to provide a trickle charger:

This one has a digital display that should aid state of play. It's designed by a UK company so the instructions should be intelligible ;)

I intend to mount on the back parcel shelf as the tailgate window is almost horizontal. Will make some brackets to wrap round the parcel shelf cassette and take some of the weight and keep secure from flying forward under strong breaking. Will update when fitted but suspect the acid test will be in the winter months.

You might find that the rear of the car is sub-optimal for the panel, mainly because of the aerofoil. The glass alone will lead to something like a 60% loss of the 20w. In the A2, I usually place the panel over the dash and obviously remove it when driving. Also when you connect the panel, make sure that the panel is shaded, otherwise you might blow the 10A fuse if you're connecting via the 12v socket.

RAB

You might find that the rear of the car is sub-optimal for the panel, mainly because of the aerofoil. The glass alone will lead to something like a 60% loss of the 20w. In the A2, I usually place the panel over the dash and obviously remove it when driving. Also when you connect the panel, make sure that the panel is shaded, otherwise you might blow the 10A fuse if you're connecting via the 12v socket.
RAB

Thanks RAB for your thoughts. I will try the rear first to see how it goes - will put a meter on it (or maybe the display will tell me the output).

A 20W panel at 12V is less than 2A so I fail to see how that will blow a 10A fuse even if the sufe is 5A continuous / 10A blow, even less so if it is 10A / 20A.

If it works OK in the rear then I will connect it to the battery via an inline fuse.

No, in theory it shouldn't blow a 10A fuse but it does. I've done it more than once! Something to do with a surge when you connect or the controller not preventing reverse flow initially, I suspect.

Given that the shortest day is 8-9 hours in winter and the CCU drain is something like 45mA, you'll likely require an average during daylight of somewhere around 100mA to maintain the battery. Your controller claims to show the charge rate.

RAB

I tried two 10w panels in the rear of the A2 yesterday, resting both on the cover over the luggage compartment. Around 500mA with the hatch open in weak sunlight but with the hatch closed, only about 30mA. The aerofoil shades the entire width of the panels, resulting in voltage drop. So if you intend using your panel in the rear, it has to be mounted above or at the level of the aerofoil.

RAB

I tried two 10w panels in the rear of the A2 yesterday, resting both on the cover over the luggage compartment. Around 500mA with the hatch open in weak sunlight but with the hatch closed, only about 30mA. The aerofoil shades the entire width of the panels, resulting in voltage drop. So if you intend using your panel in the rear, it has to be mounted above or at the level of the aerofoil.

RAB
Interesting. What’s the output when under the front windscreen / on the dash?

Back