Article: Audi A2: the hatchback years ahead of its time

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
Article today (2nd September 2020) on the Retro Motor website: Audi A2: the hatchback years ahead of its time
by Richard Bremner

Pretty positive. One thing I didn't know, if it is true, is that the A2 has "intelligent alternators" whatever that means!

Did read about alternator thing before getting A2, so sometimes i had my eye at voltage reading. If i remember correctly (might not) then sometimes it did cut off charging. But it seems to mostly charge.
From intelligence perspective, if it cuts input voltage to alternator, there will be no output (load). Maybe it modulates input differently from other cars to set charge voltage sometimes higher sometimes lower. Disabling load when accelerating hard would help, during starting etc. Might use more battery power when not warmed up... Have not paid that much attention to that.
Alternator input wire goes to ecu at least.

Free wheeling pulley is there for mechanical reasons. To save belt, tensioner and other things. Should be on many small diesels because of their jerkiness.
Engine can decelerate faster too for upshifts, especially good on 1.2 with its long gearing and low friction engine.

Back