Barometric Pressure Sensor (P1553 CODE) Air Intake leak (P1504)

Nicliu

Hi there

I've just put my Audi A2 1.4 petrol, 76,000 miles through it's MOT. Had a new timing belt fitted when I bought it.
There has been a recurring problem which was thought to be connected to the throttle body which we replaced, the car was running well but the lights came on again.

The car when travelling at slow speeds keeps switching on the alarm with the EPC + Engine warning light, these are the codes which keep coming up:

P1552 Barometric Pressure Sensor
P1504 Air intake leak intermittent and repeating

He's not 100% sure that by replacing the Barometric Pressure Sensor would resolve this issue, being a kind and honest guy he doesn't want to get the part and fit it and not have it fully sorted, i suggested that it might be best to put it to this forum to see if any of you might be able to suggest where this problem is coming from.

I'm not a mechanic but hope i'm relaying what i've been told sufficiently.

Many thanks in advance!

Nic

Welcome to the club,

I warmly recommend Gary at B&F Autos, West Hounslow. Not a lot he doesn't know about A2 and sensible bills to boot. It is, on the whole, best to go to them what know!

Best wishes

To be honest I've spent money with a garage in East London about £660 getting it through the MOT, having a new window wiper motor fitted, few other parts I can't remember off the top of my head and the throttle body fitted (which i had bought). The mechanic has held his hands up and said he really ain't sure what to do and doesn't want to start replacing more parts. But said if I could speak to someone on here that might know more about them based on the information above that he'd be willing to take some advice and try suggestions on here.

Otherwise going to a new garage will just add to the bill, not that I won't do that on your advice but just would like to try to get a solution from this pool of knowledge first.

Thanks again Nic!

To be honest I've spent money with a garage in East London about £660 getting it through the MOT, having a new window wiper motor fitted, few other parts I can't remember off the top of my head and the throttle body fitted (which i had bought). The mechanic has held his hands up and said he really ain't sure what to do and doesn't want to start replacing more parts. But said if I could speak to someone on here that might know more about them based on the information above that he'd be willing to take some advice and try suggestions on here.

Otherwise going to a new garage will just add to the bill, not that I won't do that on your advice but just would like to try to get a solution from this pool of knowledge first.

Thanks again Nic!
Hi Nicliu,
I would suggest a full scan with VCDS registered version as I believe the throttle body needs to have an adaption carried out before it will function correctly but others will confirm this or offer further advice.
Hope this helps
Keith.

Going to someone who really knows their onions will a: save you a fortune and b: solve the problem. These little aluminium people do not respond well to people that don't understand them fully.

Speaking, you understand, from hard won personal experience.

Kind regards,

Simon

Hi @Nicliu Take a look here, find a member who can scan your car for you. There's a very good chance a scan will point you, and your mechanic in the right direction.
Good luck.
Mac

Welcome to the club,

I warmly recommend Gary at B&F Autos, West Hounslow. Not a lot he doesn't know about A2 and sensible bills to boot. It is, on the whole, best to go to them what know!

Best wishes

Hello Simon,

and what has Gary fixed in your A2 exactly?

Many thanks!

The first thing he did for me was a full check and report on the car. A total in depth assessment of everything, Very useful for planning for things in order of urgency. Subsequently he fitted new cv outer boot, fitted new oil seperator sydtem, full oil change, cabin filter, air filter, track rod ends, and a full wheel alignment. Whilst there I met a lady who had a very lovely pine green/beige full leather diesel, owned from new!! Said she wouldn't take her car anywhere else. He is highly thought of on here for very serious work as well, including cylinder work etc. I am saving up to have my suspension sorted and a new clutch fitte

His bills are very sensible, there is no plate glass, canned music, just a proper old school garage. The last time I was there was February, the has run impeccably since. @timmus has sorted out my door locks and provided me with a new instrument cluster. Coded and provided a spare key. A2steve
has been a great help and great provider of spare parts and help from many others on this wonderful site.

The full story of my car is quite a long one, the short version: First owner for ten years full main dealer service record. Second owner for the next ten years, didn't service it once. My reasoning was that neglect was better than being bodged. Everything was wrong. Now the car is a delight.

Last edited:
Hi all

From what I can gather from the replies I have a few options:

1. Do a free VCDS scan through one of the kind members on this forum, diagnose what might be the problem and bring it back to my mechanic who i've already spent money with and who is willing to do the work needed under what i've already paid him.

2. Buy an OBDeleven scanner off Amazon, take the diagnostic to my mechanic.

3. I've found this by searching my code p1553 on this forum https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/8657-Error-code-P1553
I had a new cambelt fitted by the garage I bought it off when purchasing 3 months ago, maybe my problem could be the same as this one?

4. Go to Gary at B&F Autos in Hounslow, who has good knowledge of A2 cars and get it fixed, at extra cost.

Thanks for all your help so far

Cheers

Nic

Just download VCDS Lite and buy a KKL cable fromebay. you will need a laptop running anything from Windows XP upwards.

I just bought an OBDeleven and did this scan on the car.

Wondering if any of you can shine light on what might need to be done before I take the car to another mechanic, just to refresh my current mechanic is reluctant to replace any more parts on the car at the moment.

Had a new timing belt and brake pads fitted when I bought it in March
There has been a recurring problem which was thought to be connected to the throttle body which we replaced, the car was running well but the lights came on again, usually at slow speeds EPC + LAMP LIGHT.

Thanks!

Nic

---------------------------------------------------------------
Full scan
Control Units: 6
Fault count: 8
Control Units:
15 Airbag
System description: Airbag Front+Seite 5005
Software number: 8Z0959655E

Faults:
No trouble codes found

25 Immobilizer
System description: e 17 eingeben
Software number: Bitte Adress

Faults:
No trouble codes found

01 Engine
System description: MARELLI 4MV 4637
Software number: 036906034CA

Faults:
P155300 - Altitude sensor signal/intake manifold pressure
Implausible ratio
Intermittent

P150400 - Air intake system
Leak detected
Intermittent

03 Brakes

Faults:
01314 - Engine control module (ECM)
Intermittent

Intermittent

17 Dashboard
System description: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. VDO D04
Software number: 8Z0920950N

Faults:
01304 - Radio
static

Intermittent

46 Comfort System
System description: Komfortgerát TBD 1210
Software number: 8Z0959433AF

Faults:
01370 - Alarm triggered by interior monitoring
static

01369 - Alarm triggered by bonnet switch
static

Is there any evidence of oily residue around the oil cap on top of the rocker cover? If the seal here is aged, this can contribute to sporadic manifold pressure errors, as can other air leaks in the intake pipework and even (if I remember correctly), the fuel cap due to the closed fuel vapour system if this is not sealing correctly. On all three of our A2s I have replaced the fuel cap, coolant tank lid and the oil cap (on the 1.4i car) as in each case the seal rings were less flexible than ideal. These are very cheap to replace with Febi parts and can make an instant difference.

I also had a failed EGR, very dirty throttle body, new crank case breather tank, cleaned injectors, new spark plugs, new leads and a new coil to replace to get our car working properly, but then again it did only cost £346!

It sounds like another case of the above to be honest, though a smaller leak, it is a faff to find leaks as I found out very personally.

From what I've seen with a small/intermittent leak it does the above and is fairly weak at low rpm and when starting to move stalls easily, with a larger one it disables the throttle pedal and RPM goes up and down with ECU trying to make sense of it.

Hi all

We think we have got the problem and have stopped the festival of lights on the car.

Big thanks to Simon Martyn for recommending Gary at B+F motors. Gary with no hesitation at all offered his number to give to the mechanic in East London who had my car, he was able to call him up and pick his brains. This helped a lot!

What actually ended up happening was a little more complicated, my mechanic in East London basically told me to bring the car back to where I bought it because he thought that the fault was there when I bought the thing. The garage I bought it from were quite on the defensive but eventually got me to bring it back to them last week to their trusted guy who worked tirelessly for half a day to get to the bottom of the problem.

-First off he checked to make sure the timing belt which he'd fitted when I bought the car was on properly. The mechanic in East London said it was out, the guy at the place where i got it said it was fine, whoever was telling the truth there i'm not sure, nonetheless he admitted there was something wrong with the car and did his best to get to the bottom of it.
-Repaired the EGR valve by tightening it up and adding new bolts.
-Replaced the Barometric pressure sensor.
-ABS light was on so he also replaced the right bearing on the back left wheel.
-Took out the new throttle body i'd got from Europarts and put the old OEM one back in (the car was idling too high on the new one, and he didn't see anything wrong with the old one).

After all this there was still no joy, the lights would come back on at low revs, he was getting v frustrated and even had another mechanic come round to have a look. Eventually he looked at the Crankcase breather tank and bypassed it. This stopped all the lights and dodgy fluttering of the engine.

So now at this point i'm waiting on a new Crankcase breather tank to be delivered then fitted and fingers crossed after that it will be back to 100%

Anyway thought i'd share this puzzle with you all as it's been a bit of a stinker, hope this info can help others in the future.

Thanks to anyone who pitched in with advice!!!

Nic

Back