Better late than never...

JTG510

United-Kingdom
Hi All,

I've been a A2OC member for coming up to three years this month, and I really can't believe it's been this long. I've read reams of content on here, I love watching people's projects develop, and a number of you have been kind enough to reply to some DMs with support and advice. I don't tend to engage with social media or online communities, but, having completed a fair amount of work on my A2 recently using this forum as a guide, and after almost three years as a member, it really was just rude that I hadn't yet introduced myself or my A2.

I've got a 2004 90TDI in silver LY7W with 140,000 on the clock. I've had the car since 2015 when I was at university, and whilst my work has rarely needed me to have a regular daily commute, the car has done a lot of regular big milage trips to get home at weekends (weekly 500+ mile round trips). In recent years due to Covid and work the regular long distances have been a lot less, but I still love the car for its ability to do long distance journeys in relative comfort and return over 60mpg. Thinking about the engineering and thought that went into these cars always makes me smile - even when it makes maintenance a bit tricky - especially when someone asks me why I drive an A2 and if I don't fancy buying something newer. My usual response is along the lines of "find me another car with better MPG and less rust that I can actually afford". I've recently made the decision to treat the car (and myself!) to a mid-life refit, with the view to try to run it for another 100,000+ miles.

The car has a number of mods already. It has an all alloy intercooler, retrofitted DIS, and cruise control courtesy of Timmus. This forum is full of praise for Tom and his work, and in my opinion it is all thoroughly deserved. It's also had a remap to 105bhp. In order to not break forum rules, let's just says it's from a predictable source. I've recently added Brembo slotted discs and matching pads to the front. I like the look of these (drilled discs would be a bit much for my car in my opinion) and whilst the standard parts are great, I just wanted something a bit different. It's now running on five spoke Speedline TT wheels, a recent addition after having Seat Ibiza rims on since I've had it. The Seat rims ran very close to the callipers, which I didn't like. This seemed to make the discs corrode quite quickly due to weather, and two of the rims had got to the stage where they wouldn't hold pressure in the tyres despite being cleaned up twice.

I've started to do a fair amount of maintenance myself, learning from the forum and YouTube and building up confidence. I recently changed a wheel bearing myself (a bit scary for me!) added a new ball joint, ARB links, ABS sensor, discs and pads all round. I couldn't solve a brake imbalance on the rear which needed a garage to fix before they'd pass it at MOT. I have a sneaking suspicion the garage were running the heater on full for a prolonged period whilst working on it in recent cold temps, because now I appear to have a stuck heater flap. Looks like this might be an annoying job, but I've not had chance to diagnose it yet. At least its passed MOT though.

For the future:

I'm hoping to do a 6 speed conversion. Suggestions for an appropriate box for a TDI90 with a bit of extra horsepower very much welcomed. Currently thinking PPW? I'll get the oil pump chain done at the same time.

Also looking at a suspension rebuild. I'd LOVE a set of Bilstein B6s, but it will probably have to be B4s due to cost. Again, any thoughts or suggestions welcomed. The current suspension is a bit knackered, so I'm sure anything will be an improvement. Thinking of replacing the current pressed arms with more of the same. I understand the limitation of these with rust etc, but it looks like the current ones are original and I like the idea of being able to change the ball joints without doing the whole arm. If the current ones have lasted 140,000 miles, I don't know that the car will outlast a new set.

I'm looking at an OSRAM DRL/Fog retrofit as the car doesn't have fogs at the moment. Heated washer jets and mirrors would also be good additions. On the cosmetic side, I fancy an FSI spoiler, so looking out for an FSI tailgate in silver to swap over. I also like the idea of a colour-coded service flap, but I'll need to acquire some painting skills before tackling that.

If you've made it to the bottom of this post, thanks for your patience! It's a very long-winded way of saying hello.

Cheers,
Josh
IMG_9116.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Josh

I would imagine your remap has taken it a bit higher than 105hp with it being a 90, you should be seeing just over 110 😊👍

Nice choice on the alloys, still lightweight and wider than the factory 16’s with a lower offset so they fill the arches a bit better. Looks a good car.

Quite right Steve, 110 is correct. Evidently I’m not firing on all cylinders today, but then it is new years day. 😂

I’m very happy with the new alloys. They looks great. It may just be my imagination, but the car feels a bit more planted on them too. Looking forward to having a drive in some better weather than we’ve had recently.

Hi Josh
Looks really nice, I like the copper coloured front callipers, got to do my front suspension this year and was thinking I might do the front brakes whilst I am at it

Justin

Cheers Justin,

The callipers were that colour from a previous owner. Same as the side decals. The callipers are a bit tatty close up, but I do like the splash of colour from a distance.

Think I’ll have to get someone to do the suspension for me, probably beyond my skill level.

I did the rear suspension last year which was ok but you are right the front is more involved so I might end up getting it done by someone who really knows what they are doing!! 😂

Nice! I hadn't thought about just giving the rear a go because it's a bit simpler, so might give that a shot. Otherwise, I have a mechanic in mind who I trust, who has worked on the car before, based close to my parents house. Unfortunately, I now live a couple of hundred miles away from them! đŸ€” Let me know if you do end up tackling the front yourself, I'd be interested to know how you find it.

Nice intro!

The gearbox upgrade you’re thinking of is a PTW, I have one on my remapped 90 and there’s a (very) long thread on this topic.

My opinions based on experience: the PTW is preferable to the other gearbox codes proven to work (NTG, PTW, MYP) as it has longer ratios in the lower gears that better suit the engine’s torque delivery by keeping engine revs low for example in speed restricted areas (e.g. 1700rpm in 3rd with the PTW corresponds to 30mph road speed as opposed to 2000rpm with the other six speed boxes, which is a little “busy” to my ears). I have owned another mapped TDi90 with a MYP so am in a position to compare.

Either way, the six speed box is the one feature that does the most to transform the car’s usability and refinement the most on long journeys, it really does beg the question as to why the additional gear wasn’t part of the original specification when new!

Back to the PTW specifically: You do have to retrain yourself on how to drive the car through the gears, as the ratios are all so tall and you really wouldn’t want them to be any longer. It’s not a drawback, just an observation.

I particularly enjoy the fact that there is a gear for any road situation that keeps engine revs low but within boost (1600- 2000rpm) and the torque on tap means the car will just pull hard when you want to accelerate without the need to change gear excessively. Only thing to watch is keeping the engine spinning enough to avoid risking DMF wear (I don’t accelerate from below these engine speeds and in fact rarely let the car drop below 14-1500rpm unless slowing down / engine braking down hills etc.)

One surprising aspect is that the car isn’t more economical with this conversion: The benefits are better drivability and refinement only.

You will need the starter motor from a CAYC engine car for this conversion and at your mileage I would replace the dual mass flywheel and clutch while you’re in there.

Last edited:
Nice intro!

The gearbox upgrade you’re thinking of is a PTW, I have one on my remapped 90 and there’s a (very) long thread on this topic.

My opinions based on experience: the PTW is preferable to the other gearbox codes proven to work (NTG, PTW, MYP) as it has longer ratios in the lower gears that better suit the engine’s torque delivery by keeping engine revs low for example in speed restricted areas (e.g. 1700rpm in 3rd with the PTW corresponds to 30mph road speed as opposed to 2000rpm with the other six speed boxes, which is a little “busy” to my ears). I have owned another mapped TDi90 with a MYP so am in a position to compare.

Either way, the six speed box is the one feature that does the most to transform the car’s usability and refinement the most on long journeys, it really does beg the question as to why the additional gear wasn’t part of the original specification when new!

Back to the PTW specifically: You do have to retrain yourself on how to drive the car through the gears, as the ratios are all so tall and you really wouldn’t want them to be any longer. It’s not a drawback, just an observation.

I particularly enjoy the fact that there is a gear for any road situation that keeps engine revs low but within boost (1600- 2000rpm) and the car’s torque will just pull hard when you want to accelerate without the need to change gear excessively. Only thing to watch is keeping the engine spinning enough to avoid risking DMF wear (I don’t accelerate from below these engine speeds and in fact rarely let the car drop below 14-1500rpm unless slowing down / engine braking down hills etc.)

One surprising aspect is that the car isn’t more economical with this conversion: The benefits are better drivability and refinement only.

You will need the starter motor from a CAYC engine car for this conversion and at your mileage I would replace the dual mass flywheel and clutch while you’re in there.
I was indeed thinking of PTW, thanks.

I've read a number of other threads discussing 6th gear conversions/new boxes. I hadn't quite understood the points being made about the PTW's gearing ratios from them, but your explanation here makes sense to me. I guess the PTW is an improvement on the OEM gearing ratios because they aren't set up for a car that now has more power than an original unmapped 90. Although, I also take the point about having to adjust driving styles due to the new ratios. I suppose this could be why the original ratios are what they are, improving drivability for the average person.

It is really surprising to me that the car isn't more economical with a 6th gear (I'm far from being an expert though!). Luckily, it's not the reason I'm looking at the conversion, so that's ok. Really it's about running less revs through everything and making long-distance motorway cruising more comfortable. This seems to correspond to what I've read elsewhere about adding a 6th gear.

I'd missed the bit in other threads about needing a new starter motor. Is this also true of the MYP? Just considering costs, and whilst the MYP may not be the "gold standard" it may be a good enough improvement that's worth it for me if it is cheaper than the PTW. Certainly agree that clutch and DMF should be changed at the same time along with the oil pump chain (I think I have that right?). Lots of work, but better to get it all done in one. Did you do yours yourself? I think I'd be looking at somewhere like WOM to do mine, but I've not made contact with them yet to discuss.

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge on this. Great to have someone who has tried both the MYP and PTW, and the PTW certainly does seem like the way I'd like to go in a perfect world.

No worries.

The gearboxes are for all practical purposes the same other than for the ratios inside; hence yes you need the starter from a vehicle fitted with this family of gearboxes no matter what. They are cheap enough secondhand.

The gearboxes themselves vary wildly in price regardless of what code they are, so most members simply fit what comes up that’s cheap-ish and low mileage. I was lucky in that I found a PTW in a breaker who could prove the donor vehicle’s low mileage going for a knock-down price during lockdown.

The garage who did my conversion was DS Motorsport in Bedworth near Coventry. They also did my oil pump chain and sprockets plus of course cam belt and water pump while the car was in bits. Highly recommended.

Back