Bio Diesel

don't do it, you'll break your fuel pump sooner or later. The rubbers used are not suitable for the more aggressive behaviour of the biofuels, so they will fail. Add age to the mix and you'll have some real fun.

Bret

Not recommended for the PD engine in the A2. If you do this, you're best off with a TDI which predates the PD and CR engines. It'll eventually gum up the engine so using an older car is best anyway, since its cheap to scrap & replace it (If you notice, the older cars are rated for a higher percentage of biodiesel than the newer ones). Do also keep an eye on the oil level - if it rises, stop using veg oil immediately. The veg oil can sneak past the piston rings into the sump, and that's a really bad thing for a couple of reasons.

I've run a VW Vento with 75% veg oil, it was smoky as anything at the higher percentages but did 40K miles OK. You can buy the filtered oil from a place near Abingdon (at least you could a few years ago). Just don't ever put it into an A2, get a scrapper instead.

Last edited:
I don't think he means putting un-reacted veggie oil straight in the tank, but of turning oil into diesel? I know Tourangang used to make his own and ran several VAG Diesels on it - he had a reactor and had access to the chemicals (sodium hydroxide and methanol) that you need to turn waste oil into useable diesel.

I tried this about 3 years ago with only half a tank mix with me breaking down after only 20 miles after putting it in. Bloked the fuel filter and it took about 2 months for my car to get back to a normal running, will never put this back in, just to remember that if you do put it in check you breakdown cover that it will cover you as mine didn't as i knowingly put it in they wouldn't do anything or charge me a stupid amount to get me home, so i drove the 40 miles home at 30 mph and having to stop every 20 mins or so when it started to run out of power, i found if i waited for about 15 mins it would run for a bit then stop so i did this. Got it home drained the fuel out, swapped the filter and it still ran very poorly for a bit then every so often it would splutter, then after a few months realised it had stopped and was running normal. At the moment had no issuses from this but would recomend not doing this

Phil

Heres the thread i posted with my experience

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?7557-Biodiesel&highlight=

Last edited:
I ran my first a2 and my Touran on Biodiesal for years with no probs my A2 ran better on it than regular diesel, be very careful buying bio though, there is a lot of crap out there!

Mind you be careful if you start making your own - I'm convinced it was that sparked off my illness

John

If you will plainly use a biodiesel with your engine, you might want to check the other specs out before doing so as there are different requirements with each type of fuel.

What might work well with diesel might work horribly with ethanol or something similar.

And at the end of the day, you just have to make sure first that what you are using is something well within its range.

Back