Boot carpet wet - including under rear seats

Cliveski

I have some water getting into the car. The boot carpet is slightly damp and this extends to underneath the rear passenger seat on one side (drivers side).
Under the boot compartment where the battery and so on are is also slightly damp – more like condensation than pools of water collecting.

Do these symptoms point to the problem with the vents behind the rear bumper or would I be seeing obvious pools of water in the battery compartment area if that was the case?

Where else / What else should I check before changing the vents behind the rear bumper (as I read that is a fiddly time consuming job)

Thank you, Clive

If the damp doesn't extend higher than the boot carpet, then it's unlikely that the source of the leak is anything other than the vents you mention.

The drains from the roof for instance are known to let water in if blocked, but in this case, I'd expect wetness to extend to the roof.

To replace your leaking vents, it's a bumper off job, which means both back wheels off and arch liners removed.

It's not the smallest of jobs, but it is do-able by a competent home spanner-man.

Cheers

Mike

... in 2 hours with a couple of torx drivers. Don't miss the strange bolts tucked up in the wheelarch extensions. Those 2 hours were on a four-post lift and involved at least 0.5 hours of problems.

Bret

Thanks for the info - I have seen the relevant threads with the picture showing where the water travels and get's in, plus the exploded diagram of the rear bumper showing where various bolts are located but assume (hope) they don't all need to be removed? If I can I will take some pictures as I go along and post a "how to" . . . not sure when I will be takling this though!

Unfortunately Clive, all the screws do need to be removed to get the bumper off!

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Mike

All. And don't end up with 7 over, like I have... I need to get the bumper back off again, probably next week when I have some time, and return them to where they should be.

Bret

If it's the 7 that I think you're talking about then it's not a full bumper off job Bretti - just take off the matt black trim strip to get access.

Cheers,

Mike

they're all in place, unfortunately. It was a rush job - closing time approaching and problems getting them out due to a) missing the ones right at the back of the arch and b) one of them having jumped the spring steel making its thread... so I forgot some of them and I don't know where they go. I need to take it off again anyway at some point so I'll sort it out as and when.

Now I know where I can do it - heated hall with a four post lift and tools for €16 / hour - then it's much easier to live with for a short time :D

Bret

Well today I managed to do this job in a little over three and a half hours from start to finish with only a short break for a cup of tea and cheese on toast :)
The two parts cost me £27.71 inc vat (in total) from Peterborough Audi.

Didn't have my camera to produce a 'how to' but did make a note of the number of screws removed from each part/section of the job. For me it went a little bit like this . . .

Firstly I removed the off-side wheel arch liner.
This consisted of 11 torx screws (one of which was slightly longer than the others) and three poppers.

Next I opened the rear door and prised of a bit of trim between the door aperture and sill at the bottom (just at the end where it met the bottom of the wheel arch). I did this to gain access to a countersunk type torx screw underneath which screws into a white piece of plastic.

In the same area is a small section of sill / bottom of wheel arch. I undid a countersunk type screw underneath at the bottom. I was then able to slide this small section of sill / bottom of wheel arch out of the way.

Next I undid the screws holding the wheel arch in place - starting with 2 domed-head type screws which I had revealed when removing the small section of sill / bottom of wheel arch. Then there were 12 torx screws. Finally 2 slighlty longer torx srews which were at the back of the arch and 'deeper' more 'hidden' than the others.
I was then able to pull the wheel arch off the body - manipulating the arch around a screw hole type thing bottom right.

Then I tackled the other side (near-side) arch liner. There were only 9 torx screws, 2 of which were slightly longer than the others. 3 Poppers again.

Repeated process for near-side small section of sill / bottom of wheel arch. And again for the Wheel arch itself.

Then onto the screws underneath the rear bumper - 2 underneath on offside then 2 (smaller torx) each side of centre. Don't recall their being a screw or more underneath on the nearside?

Lastly I prised off the rubber seal along the bottom of the boot opening then prised off the small section of black trim along the top of the bumper. This revealed the final 6 torx screws holdiing the rear bumper in place. Once removed I was able to pull the rear bumper off.

During this process I could tell the previous owner had been aware of the leak and knew what area it was coming from as someone had attempted to seal around the piece of black trim on the top of the bumper in the far right corner.

Anyhow the actual plastic vent type things looked in good shape - no distortion to the thin rubber flaps. Perhaps the rubber seal around the outside was not as good as it should have been? They were the original ones from over 10 years ago as I could see the clock type date mark on them.

When removed the rear right vent did appear to have a small wet patch where water may have been trickling through to the back side behind the vents and down into the body of the car.

I was hoping to see an obvious failure somewhere but couldn't :(

Anyhow, fitted the new ones and made sure they clicked into place and put everything back together.

Didn't have any screws left over so that was good - got it all to line up neatly so looks good - it helped I hadn't washed the car for a while so could see where the clean/exposed parts were and dirty/hidden bits were.

Going to wash the car tomorrow and see what happens, and again when it's raining. Fingers crossed!

water in boot

Had a lot of water under rear seats, along offside rear wheel arch and into battery box. Ended up taking bumper off, and found foul air vent hanging out, clipped it back in and glued it . Now no water and no mouldy smells. Roy.

A month on and after snow, ice and rain it's remained dry so hopefully that is that. I did take some general pictures on my phone when I did mine so maybe I should add those above when I have time.

Also have moisture in the rear battery compertment will attempt this when I fit my rearv parking sensors, so I can do the 2 jobs at the same time, any tips appreciated. Should I try to repair the flap or should it be replaced, I am quiet happy to seal it with sealant if it does the job? Any suggestions?

Back