Boot Illumination Constantly On

2work

A2OC Donor
Afternoon all,

Can anyone help.

I noticed that the boot illumination is constantly on. I cannot get it to turn off.

VCDS finds no fault so confused as to what could be wrong.

When the boot is closed it doesn’t show as open on the DIS so shouldn’t be the microswitch. If I lock the car the alarm chirps so I know everything is registered as closed.

The boot light will not go off. It stays on when the car is locked and also when driving.

Any thoughts people.

Kind regards,

Tom

audifan

A2OC Donor
Short in the wiring somewhere to give permanent live to the bulb. You will need to trace the wiring from the switch all the way back to the tailgate latch. Has it always been like that, possibly bodged wiring. To save your battery going flat disconnect the light from the loom, just tie some string around the loom so you can retrieve it later.

spike

Could be a failed microswitch within the tailgate lock. The lid does not register it's closed so the light stays on.

Cheers Spike

Rusty911

A2OC Donor
Out of interest, it's not got a towbar has it?

This often seems to give license to the worst sort of loom bodgery. You might get some pretty weird things happening if someone had picked up on boot light feed as a supply to a now failing towing relay for instance.

Last edited:

2work

A2OC Donor
Short in the wiring somewhere to give permanent live to the bulb. You will need to trace the wiring from the switch all the way back to the tailgate latch. Has it always been like that, possibly bodged wiring. To save your battery going flat disconnect the light from the loom, just tie some string around the loom so you can retrieve it later.
Thank you for your thoughts. I’ll see what I can trace today if the weather holds off. Yes bulbs already removed to ensure I don’t drain the battery. Im pretty certain I t’s not always been like that (new A2 to me).

I’m starting to wander if I’ve done something whilst removing the pins from the boot light to solder additional wires in for a twin boot illumination installation.

I’ll investigate further.

Kind regards,

Tom

2work

A2OC Donor
Could be a failed microswitch within the tailgate lock. The lid does not register it's closed so the light stays on.

Cheers Spike
Morning Spike,

I’ll rescan it as if there is a possible failed microswitch VCDS should pick it up. It’s always worth another scan.

The car does lock correctly and the DIS does not show the boot as open, I’ll see if BCDS finds anything.

Kind regards,

Tom

2work

A2OC Donor
Out of interest, it's not got a towbar has it?

This often seems to give license to the worst sort of loom bodgery. You might get some pretty weird things happening if someone had picked up on boot light feed as a supply to a now failing towing relay for instance.
Morning,

Thank you for your thoughts on possible cause. I don’t have a tow bar fitted but understand exactly what you mean.

I have noticed a scotch lock in the RH rear light fitting where someone has converted it into a twin rear fog.

Further investigation required here.

Kind regards,

Tom

spike

I had a boot lock microswitch failure but looking back, it failed in the 'boot closed' mode so the light never came on. Don't recall VCDS logging any fault codes and would have never checked the DIS to see if cycled through the open / closed warning when operating the tailgate.

Apologies, I should have read your post more thoroughly as you covered your initial troubleshooting in some detail

Cheers Spike

2work

A2OC Donor
I had a boot lock microswitch failure but looking back, it failed in the 'boot closed' mode so the light never came on. Don't recall VCDS logging any fault codes and would have never checked the DIS to see if cycled through the open / closed warning when operating the tailgate.

Apologies, I should have read your post more thoroughly as you covered your initial troubleshooting in some detail

Cheers Spike
Spike,

Thank you for your input as I may well be a failed microswitch. I’ll keep you all updated as I get to the bottom of this fault as it might just help someone out in the future.

Kind regards,

Tom

audifan

A2OC Donor
Possible that the second lamp caused too much current draw through the microswitch and welded the contacts. Did just disconnecting one light make any difference although I doubt it very much. Curious why you wanted a second boot light anyway?

2work

A2OC Donor
Possible that the second lamp caused too much current draw through the microswitch and welded the contacts. Did just disconnecting one light make any difference although I doubt it very much. Curious why you wanted a second boot light anyway?
Disconnecting one side didn’t make a difference unfortunately.

I am using the same LED lights I’ve had in my dead A2 for a few years, they certainly brightened up the dark carpeted boot but probably not needed in my Twist interior as it’s bright enough with just one.

I’ll get to the microswitch to see what Ive managed to do.

Kind regards,

Tom