Bose stereo

Rodrick69

Hi is 6 disc stereo with bose speakers same as standard 6 disc stereo. Can any one recommend adapter that will let me use sub and blue tooth thanks

Physically the same stereo, yes (Symphony II). Yours will have been coded for Bose output but the connections on the back will be the same. I understand it has the pins wired to support an external CD changer also, so Aux-in solutions are available. My only experience is with a 3.5mm adapter but I believe there are USB and Bluetooth solutions from Connects2 and Xcarlink.

Physically the same stereo, yes (Symphony II). Yours will have been coded for Bose output but the connections on the back will be the same. I understand it has the pins wired to support an external CD changer also, so Aux-in solutions are available. My only experience is with a 3.5mm adapter but I believe there are USB and Bluetooth solutions from Connects2 and Xcarlink.
So standard symphony 2 would not work sub speaker

No, if you were to swap out your current Symphony for another one not coded for BOSE, I don't think it would work.

I know the Symphony has to be coded for BOSE, I *think* with BOSE all the connections for the speakers come out of the BOSE amp under the drivers floor, the Symphony just feeds the input from the radio, tape or CD to it. If I'm right about that then I guess the coding is to make the Symphony feed the right level/quality of input to the BOSE amp instead of to the speakers that it would normally power itself.

What you're looking to do is just to add another input for the Symphony to feed to BOSE, that it does have the capablilty to handle. So I don't see any need no need to change the Symphony, just find a USB/Bluetooth adapter that will plug into the external CD changer socket.

The man we need to answer all of this in absolute certainty is @timmus ... you out there, Tom?

Options in the head unit are selectable by changing the configuration via a diagnostics cable, e.g. VCDS

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_Radio_Generation_II

The BOSE amplifier connects to the 4 line outs on the head unit (front and rear left and right). It produces the sub woofer signal from this to drive 5 channels. The head unit needs to be told that it is connected to the BOSE amplifier as otherwise it applies a sound equalisation profile that matches the car acoustics for directly driving the speakers / rear amplifier. This isn't required for BOSE as the amplifier does this itself so it would sound wrong. You also need to turn on the word "BOSE" so it appears at switch on!

You need a "CD Changer emulator" such as the Connects 2 or Xcarlink mentioned above for line in. These come in different types supporting USB, memory card and bluetooth streaming. Don't buy one of the cheap cables that is just a 3.5mm jack plug with the radio connector at the other end of a piece of wire, this won't work.

Options in the head unit are selectable by changing the configuration via a diagnostics cable, e.g. VCDS

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_Radio_Generation_II

The BOSE amplifier connects to the 4 line outs on the head unit (front and rear left and right). It produces the sub woofer signal from this to drive 5 channels. The head unit needs to be told that it is connected to the BOSE amplifier as otherwise it applies a sound equalisation profile that matches the car acoustics for directly driving the speakers / rear amplifier. This isn't required for BOSE as the amplifier does this itself so it would sound wrong. You also need to turn on the word "BOSE" so it appears at switch on!

You need a "CD Changer emulator" such as the Connects 2 or Xcarlink mentioned above for line in. These come in different types supporting USB, memory card and bluetooth streaming. Don't buy one of the cheap cables that is just a 3.5mm jack plug with the radio connector at the other end of a piece of wire, this won't work.

Thanks any advantage with either. Rather than have to reprogram a unit it may be easier to change buttons or front panel.

coding the head unit is a 2 min job with vagcom, even the £5 Chinese cables sold on Ebay will do this

Back