Bose subwoofer - active or passive/standalone?

Olerype

Is the Bose subwoofer active or passive? Can it be used as standalone without the rest of the Bose kit?

I.e powered from a thirdparty amp, or in case it is active be triggered ON by a thirdparty headunit?

The Bose subwoofer is a passive device. No, it cannot be fitted without the rest of the Bose kit because it requires driving by an external amplifier.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks; so it must be possible to power the subwoofer by a third-party amplifier then(?).

Can the subwoofer enclosure be opened?

Thanks; so it must be possible to power the subwoofer by a third-party amplifier then(?).

Can the subwoofer enclosure be opened?

I can't see a reason why you couldn't drive it with another amp.

I've never tried to open the Bose sub, but I imagine it's possible.

Wonder also if the sub has a passive crossover, or if the Bose kit includes a amp with active crossover that also cut low freq bass from the door speakers allowing you to play louder.

Anyway; as the door speaker plays well, and the Bose sub fits into the boot, battery in boot, it should be a easy to fit a third-party amp. Should also be easy to let the Bose sub play even better with a bigger amp.

Are you running from the standard head unit? If so I would be tempted to replace the Blaupunkt amp that feeds the rear speakers with a three channel amp to feed the rears and the sub, that way you already have the high level outputs to the amp’s position in place and it would just be a case of running a speaker cable to the boot. May need a higher capacity power cable though.

Today I have a Pioneer DAB+/Bluetooth headunit wired to the Blaupunkt amp below the righthand seat.

To make it simple for myself, I was just thinking of pulling the signal&trigger from the headunit to the boot, where I install a quality amplifier wired to the Bose sub (back the good old days I ran Phoenix Gold ZX and Boston Acoustics Pro)

Today I have a Pioneer DAB+/Bluetooth headunit wired to the Blaupunkt amp below the righthand seat.

To make it simple for myself, I was just thinking of pulling the signal&trigger from the headunit to the boot, where I install a quality amplifier wired to the Bose sub (back the good old days I ran Phoenix Gold ZX and Boston Acoustics Pro)
That sounds like a good solution. I have installed a 6 channel amp and Gladen custom speakers to my BM, I quite enjoy doing audio installs.

Back