Brake pad oddity

AudA2Numpty

A2OC Donor
Hello all,

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought brake pads were a flat shape which was parallel to the brake disc?

The ones that appear to be on my car are a wedge shape and do not appear to be flat against the brake disc.
Is this correct?

I had my car serviced and MOT’d last year (June 2017), just before moving to France. Included in the work were brake disks and brake pads replacements.
The A2 has not done many miles since being in France (1275) as we have mostly used our electric car.
When we did use our A2 in France there always seem to be a squeal coming from the brakes, like Stones kept getting caught in the brake pads, it also seem to happen quite regularly, which I thought was odd. Though having experienced this before I put it down to the gravel road we constantly had to drive up to get to our house. This is when I originally noticed the wedge shaped brake pads (July 2017)
Admittedly I have not done anything about it as the car has been working OK and stopping and we barely drove it anyway. As I had paid a princely sum for the work, I had assumed that the garage that did it fitted the correct parts and did the work correctly.
I just assumed I was just going mad. Typically, while in France the suspension struts and bearings started playing up.
As I needed to return to the UK I thought I'd take the A2 with me and fix the suspension and take another look at the break pads.
What do you guys think, is this wedge shape correct?
From other cars I've looked at, it does not seem correct.

Attachments

• 4591CB51-F052-49F5-9AA0-D02F5329784D.jpeg
    4591CB51-F052-49F5-9AA0-D02F5329784D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 219
  • 055D6C5E-BD22-4612-B5FF-82CFF366FC4D.jpeg
    055D6C5E-BD22-4612-B5FF-82CFF366FC4D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Just to echo what Spike has already said they look normal to me and the wedge / chamfer edge is correct.

The brake squeal is likely to be related to either new pads settling in or lack of copper grease. Most pads I have recently replaced don't need copper grease as such as they had a plastic plate where metal meets metal between the calliper and piston alike. It is also key to ensure where pads slide on the calliper it is cleaned really well. I usually put a small amount of copper grease here too making sure zero contamination to the pad surface.

In your case this noise may disappear in time. Keep an eye on disc wear (looks uniform and no scoring).

Cheers guys. The squeal was consistent with stones getting trapped between the brake pad and disc. Seems an odd design to me.
But at least I can consentrate on the suspension now.

Back