Brake upgrade

AndyC

At some point in the near future it looks like I'll have to replace the disks on my 1.6 FSi Sport, anyone care to suggest some good upgrades that are on the market, with prices preferably.

Cheers folks

Andy

Like Spike's already said, i'm running brembo max discs on the front with some EBC greenstuff pads, great set up, there's soo much more bite for braking and you will wonder why you didn't change them over earlier on! I've had my set on for about 6months now and haven't faulted them at all. As for the wear on them, it's hardly anything and i've done at least 7,000 miles on them so far!

Hope this helps!

Mike

I'm intrigued - what do you think is wrong with the brakes? With rear drums, maybe upgrade to disks, but FSI has discs all round, so why upgrade? Its a light car so original brakes should do fine. Better to adjust your driving style and use the brakes less surely? I've always found the brakes fine, fade free and reasonable feel.

You can mount 312mm on the front (while using the original 16" rims) : http://forum.a2-freun.de/thread.php?threadid=16741
Bilder%20041.jpg

Bilder%20046.jpg

I would agree with Lyndonbuck - good quality OE discs and pads are fine for this car and if you don't fancy paying dealer prices buy the same thing from an independent like GSF and save some money.

Brembo Max are ok but they are just the entry level Brembo product and no better or worse than an OE disc.

So you can fit 312mm discs and big callipers - but why would you?? An A2 is not a Seat Leon Cupra 225 and neither is is chpped Fabia VRS that might be knocking out 190bhp.

I work in the performance braking business but I would not recommend spending money upgrading A2 brakes. When I got mine I just fitted Textar OE pads and discs and some new Textar shoes on the back. Even driven hard it will stop on the proverbial 'sixpence'.

Mike

I agree - as the driver of possibly the most powerful A2 in the UK, I can vouch for EBC pads and discs as a good aftermarket solution, without needing to go to larger discs and calipers (plus adapter brackets).

All these will do is increase the unsprung weight of the car, making turn-in characteristics more sloppy and generally making the steering less sharp, which is one of the more appealing features of the car!

The low weight of the A2 means that big discs just aren't needed - simple as!

Cheers,

Mike

Reactions: mtl
More of a vanity thing than for performance reasons!

Standard brakes seem to work well enough, seems the general opinion is to replace like for like.

Cheers all.

Well I used to run the Porsche kit on my TT behind a 17" alloy, so I guess there is no reason why a similar 320MM(?) kit wouldnt fit behind an A2 17" wheel, would look good with big disks and calipers :D

mjs4x4 said:
So you can fit 312mm discs and big callipers - but why would you?? An A2 is not a Seat Leon Cupra 225 and neither is is chpped Fabia VRS that might be knocking out 190bhp.

Mike
Hi. Have you seen the front spoiler in the red A2? This is unique! The only one in the worlt and it hase a german "TÜV" (allownis to use this). I don't know why, but some others does. I also know one person (A2 TDi, also in this forum) whohase one A2 only for driving on the "Nordschleife/Nürbungring" racing track...

So?

Erstens,

If you want to spend money transforming the braking system on your A2 - that's up to you.

If there is a guy who thrashes his A2 round the Nurburgring - that's up to him.

The point is that for the other 99.9% of A2 owners a big brake conversion is an expensive irrelevance.

For the other 0.1% of owners - I'd be happy to sell you some Pagid RS racing brake pads!!

Mike

But in Germany, we go at a 180km/h and so do often. So there is or could be a need for that. I dont need that, but I als been gone at 209km/h downhill with my 1.4 75bhp.
Here you see my speed in horizontal (195 on the instrument) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za63btCDUp8

This thread is called: break upgrade, isn't it? So.. I just been showing a break.

Years ago I found that my 1.4 TDi A2 in the dry, whilst attempting an emergency stop from 100mph - that the ABS never kicked in no matter how hard I pressed the pedal. That is to say that from that speed the OE setup/temperature in the pads/discs meant the wheels were unable to lock at all. I have never come across this on a road car before (I have driven a lot of them) so I upgraded to some EBC discs and green stuff and I have stuck with this ever since. With the EBC's from 100mph the ABS will kick in around 25mph on a dry surface and the car stops in much shorter distance than OE.

I can understand serious brake fade on a road setup after one emergency stop but not during the first one!

I am hard on brakes, at my first 30K service I complained about rumble to my Audi dealer (Derby) and they said the discs looked OK - after the service the brakes still felt bad to me so I removed the discs myself and the inside surface of the OE discs had delaminated! and the inside pads were knackered. It was at this point I switched to EBC and have never had the problem since (145,000 miles now).

The stock brakes are OK for driving about town, but not for an emergency stop from (relatively) high speed.

Years ago I found that my 1.4 TDi A2 in the dry, whilst attempting an emergency stop from 100mph - that the ABS never kicked in no matter how hard I pressed the pedal. That is to say that from that speed the OE setup/temperature in the pads/discs meant the wheels were unable to lock at all. I have never come across this on a road car before (I have driven a lot of them) so I upgraded to some EBC discs and green stuff and I have stuck with this ever since. With the EBC's from 100mph the ABS will kick in around 25mph on a dry surface and the car stops in much shorter distance than OE.

I can understand serious brake fade on a road setup after one emergency stop but not during the first one!

I am hard on brakes, at my first 30K service I complained about rumble to my Audi dealer (Derby) and they said the discs looked OK - after the service the brakes still felt bad to me so I removed the discs myself and the inside surface of the OE discs had delaminated! and the inside pads were knackered. It was at this point I switched to EBC and have never had the problem since (145,000 miles now).

The stock brakes are OK for driving about town, but not for an emergency stop from (relatively) high speed.
Hi Ricardo, did you buy standard EBC discs or perfomance?
Thanks

Hi Ricardo, did you buy standard EBC discs or perfomance?
Thanks
this thread might not get a reply given the 10 years since it was posted although Ricardo still appears to be active here. If you don't get any further with this query I am sure that you will be able to find assistance on the site with a bit of searching and asking the right people who appear in the searches - I recently added a 310mm front brake set to my BHC Tdi car and it does feel very strong although I don't have any figures to prove improvements of this over a conventional 256mm set up that I have on my other Tdi (or for that matter, any improvements over normal discs, normal pads). Best of luck though - these questions are always interesting when new replies are added.

this thread might not get a reply given the 10 years since it was posted although Ricardo still appears to be active here. If you don't get any further with this query I am sure that you will be able to find assistance on the site with a bit of searching and asking the right people who appear in the searches - I recently added a 310mm front brake set to my BHC Tdi car and it does feel very strong although I don't have any figures to prove improvements of this over a conventional 256mm set up that I have on my other Tdi (or for that matter, any improvements over normal discs, normal pads). Best of luck though - these questions are always interesting when new replies are added.
Thanks for the answer @Robin_Cox!
This forum is amazing.

I recently added a 310mm front brake set to my BHC Tdi car and it does feel very strong although I don't have any figures to prove improvements of this over a conventional 256mm set up that I have on my other Tdi (or for that matter, any improvements over normal discs, normal pads).
A question regarding replacing only the front discs with larger ones. What happens with the weight transfer when braking hard?
Because my colleague put RS3 front brakes on his Audi A3 2.0TDI and what happened then: when braking hard the car was digging the front of the car into the road, but rear was up in the air, very dangerous especially with spirited driving on the country roads. This happened because the braking balance was distorted. And he already had the car completelly lowered.
After that he upgraded also the rear brakes with RS7 rear brakes :) and that was completelly different thing. The whole car just squated and digged completelly into the road and stopped in crazy distances.
According to his experience I would upgrade all four disc, not only front. But it is true that the upgrade was really, really big, so maybe this contributed to the rear in the air.

Last edited:
Back