Brass inserts and other spare wheel related questions

HPmuirt

Hello folks,

Having bought a very nice spare wheel kit from Mr A2Z (many thanks for all your help sir), I came to fit it today only to find that my 2004 car was not supplied with the brass inserts for the OEM M8x12 hex bolts at the top of the bracket over the battery: -

Missing inserts.jpg

Whilst researching tool kits as I had a couple of missing parts, I noticed that other cars without the spare wheel bracket were also missing these inserts but I cannot find a part number for these on 7zap which I suspect means that they cannot be bought as spares and since I suspect that they are knurled and pressed in at the factory with a gazillion tonnes, I am also guessing that this is no way to extract them from a scrapped car?

Does this mean that I therefore have to get some specially machined or has anyone else solved this when retro-fitting a spare wheel? Any suggestions of a suitable source of inserts would be most appreciated - making you a demi-god in my eyes and earning you a liquid refreshment of your choice if we ever meet.

Other questions: -
When I placed the OEM hex bolts in the wheel plate (with the threads where the inserts should be) and closed the carpet lid, it fouled on the hex bolts and would not sit flush. Before I buy some flush fit bolts, how do other peoples OEM bolts sit? If this is a common problem I will buy a larger bag of M8x12 flush bolts and share them out at cost to anyone who needs them.

When the carpet lid is closed without the hex bolts in place, the lid still sits high due to the insert for the wheel clamping bolt (above the +ve terminal). I therefore assume that the hole in the carpet is large enough to accommodate the thread insert as well, not just the clamp bolt? Can anyone post a picture of the carpet lid with a factory fitted spare wheel please, otherwise I think rather than cutting my pristine carpet, getting a spare carpet would be better.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/constructive criticism/polite comments/good vibes
Simon

P.S. Does anyone have a drawer full of the 3 plastic covers (Part no. 8Z0 863 497) that hide the torx screws on the inside of the boot trim (under the hatch, behind the bumper) or are these always shipped with that trim panel/lost on removal?

Good Evening,

There is a fair bit around on here about these brass inserts, Google 'a2oc brass inserts', the threads thrown up alas have no part number (after a quick scan) but techniques to remove them (they screw out) and suggestions for similar inserts on eBay, just read them. The simplest solution is to put an ad in wanted and a breaker will come to your rescue.

Andy

Reactions: A2Z
Hello folks,

Having bought a very nice spare wheel kit from Mr A2Z (many thanks for all your help sir), I came to fit it today only to find that my 2004 car was not supplied with the brass inserts for the OEM M8x12 hex bolts at the top of the bracket over the battery: -

View attachment 80177

Whilst researching tool kits as I had a couple of missing parts, I noticed that other cars without the spare wheel bracket were also missing these inserts but I cannot find a part number for these on 7zap which I suspect means that they cannot be bought as spares and since I suspect that they are knurled and pressed in at the factory with a gazillion tonnes, I am also guessing that this is no way to extract them from a scrapped car?

Does this mean that I therefore have to get some specially machined or has anyone else solved this when retro-fitting a spare wheel? Any suggestions of a suitable source of inserts would be most appreciated - making you a demi-god in my eyes and earning you a liquid refreshment of your choice if we ever meet.

Other questions: -
When I placed the OEM hex bolts in the wheel plate (with the threads where the inserts should be) and closed the carpet lid, it fouled on the hex bolts and would not sit flush. Before I buy some flush fit bolts, how do other peoples OEM bolts sit? If this is a common problem I will buy a larger bag of M8x12 flush bolts and share them out at cost to anyone who needs them.

When the carpet lid is closed without the hex bolts in place, the lid still sits high due to the insert for the wheel clamping bolt (above the +ve terminal). I therefore assume that the hole in the carpet is large enough to accommodate the thread insert as well, not just the clamp bolt? Can anyone post a picture of the carpet lid with a factory fitted spare wheel please, otherwise I think rather than cutting my pristine carpet, getting a spare carpet would be better.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/constructive criticism/polite comments/good vibes
Simon

P.S. Does anyone have a drawer full of the 3 plastic covers (Part no. 8Z0 863 497) that hide the torx screws on the inside of the boot trim (under the hatch, behind the bumper) or are these always shipped with that trim panel/lost on removal?
Evening,

The threaded inserts you’re after can be removed from an older A2. I’m sure these are the sort of items that anyone who is currently breaking (pre 2003 53) could supply.

I removed these inserts from my old commuter for a member last year. I’m sure I only charged postage but could be wrong.

Kind regards,

Tom

Your carpet problem. While not having the spare wheel setup (from choice) I am sure Audi did not design the spare wheel arrangement that caused a carpet problem, neither have I seen your problem posted so something is wrong. The top of the brass inserts (if you had them) are recessed below the level of the main floor to avoid a problem, you can see this in your picture. Have you removed the slide in battery retainer wall? Is the battery sat on something that should not be there? Else I can only think your battery is too tall, original Varta battery was 190 mm tall apparently.

Andy

Edit. The pictures you asked for within an excellent 'How To' of installing the spare wheel.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies and suggestions chaps - plus the great installation guide.

I have posted a request in the wanted section for the brass inserts as it seems that they can be removed being screw in rather than press-fit, but I have not had any responses.

Being new to the forum, I haven't quite worked out who are the car breakers and who just have some spares for sale, so if someone could point me in the right direction as to who I should approach, it would be most appreciated.

Looking at the pictures, it is clear that Audi chose bolts that would sit proud so I have sourced some low profile M8x12 bolts and will have some spares if anyone else needs some.

Many thanks in advance
Simon

Thanks for your replies and suggestions chaps - plus the great installation guide.

I have posted a request in the wanted section for the brass inserts as it seems that they can be removed being screw in rather than press-fit, but I have not had any responses.

Being new to the forum, I haven't quite worked out who are the car breakers and who just have some spares for sale, so if someone could point me in the right direction as to who I should approach, it would be most appreciated.

Looking at the pictures, it is clear that Audi chose bolts that would sit proud so I have sourced some low profile M8x12 bolts and will have some spares if anyone else needs some.

Many thanks in advance
Simon
@A2Steve & @Clackers are the main men

I will have a look at my breaker later on for you,pretty sure I have some on it. Will report back when I getgome from work for you.
Cheers

Andy

Great, many thanks Andy

Can you tell me if your breaker has a working boot servo as mine sometimes opens and sometimes makes a noise but does not release - or doi you think it's a lubrication issue?

Cheers
Simon

I have a few of those in yes, it may be something as simple as a WD40 squirt, it could be a cheap fix for you, if not, let me know and I can sort you out no problems.
Andy

Brilliant, thank you both.

I will check the servo tomorrow and PM you Andy. The catch seems to move freely and is greased so I guess I need to take the back cover off which is a loathsome task!

For the thread inserts, are the ones at the base (battery clamp and spare mount) the same as the ones at the top (spare mount only)?

Thanks again
Simon

Brilliant, thank you both.

I will check the servo tomorrow and PM you Andy. The catch seems to move freely and is greased so I guess I need to take the back cover off which is a loathsome task!

For the thread inserts, are the ones at the base (battery clamp and spare mount) the same as the ones at the top (spare mount only)?

Thanks again
Simon
Hi Simon,
As far as I am aware yes they are the same, but someone may correct me on that one...
These are the base ones, atthe bottom of the battery, they seem to be less fitted to me, not threaded as you thought...hence they come with a section of boot flooring...a bit of dremmelling or filing and you'll have them free.
If you want to inbox me I'll exchange details on there and sort out the boot mechanisms etc.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Simon,
As far as I am aware yes they are the same, but someone may correct me on that one...
These are the base ones, atthe bottom of the battery, they seem to be less fitted to me, not threaded as you thought...hence they come with a section of boot flooring...a bit of dremmelling or filing and you'll have them free.
If you want to inbox me I'll exchange details on there and sort out the boot mechanisms etc.

Cheers

Andy
For reference apparently a bolt with a locking nut and these brass inserts unscrew.

Edit. Same for insertion, picture here.

Andy

Last edited:
For reference apparently a bolt with a locking nut and these brass inserts unscrew.

Edit. Same for insertion, picture here.

Andy
Guess what I'll be trying to do later on!

Suppose it will be easier now they are off the car anyway!!!

Andy#2

Back