Break warning after pad/disc change

MacKWT

Hi All

I‘m a veritable novice for almost all things mechanical. The A2 is my test-bed!
Just changed front discs and pads, for the first time.

Brakes all seem to be working fine, but the screachy warning is coming on with the orange brake pad warning symbol.
Can the sensor be connected the wrong way round? Or is there any other issue I should be looking at?

All help appreciated.

Hi All

I‘m a veritable novice for almost all things mechanical. The A2 is my test-bed!
Just changed front discs and pads, for the first time.

Brakes all seem to be working fine, but the screachy warning is coming on with the orange brake pad warning symbol.
Can the sensor be connected the wrong way round? Or is there any other issue I should be looking at?

All help appreciated.
I believe that the connection to the pads or the wire from it can deteriorate causing the fault. I’ve just had a similar issue rectified- had to work from the brakes back up into the car to find wire in good condition then spiced onto that.

Hi and welcome to the world of these gremlins!

can’t connect the wrong way round due to connector but even if you could it would not matter. The sensor cable can often have corrosion on which does not create a good connection. Carefully clean any contacts and see if you can remove the corrosion. Worth perhaps getting some electric contact cleaner. Oil can cause problems.

Paul and Retto, huge thanks for your suggestions and help.
Managed to pull it apart, and sure enough the connector pins from the car were (and still are) very dodgy. One pin especially had retreated into the housing. Managed to bodge it together for now but rather suspect it won’t hold for too long. At least I’ll know what to look for! Thanks again. It really is a fantastic forum.

You should really get yourself a new connector and wiring - some MOT testers can fail the car for a warning light (even though they're wrong to do so without investigating), but it's not a tricky job if you can use a soldering iron. The plastic housing is subject to heat cycles and road crap and becomes very brittle very quickly.

Back