Breakdown cover

johnyfartbox

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
As in the title.
Been with the AA for around 5 years now, gold cover.
Just had the renewal letter, £325 per year, owch.
Any recommendations guys.

I'm covered via my bank Barclays monthly feee brakdown cover mobile phone insuance , airport lounge access (not alot of use at the mo) . Nationwide for £13 a month travel insuance car breakdown cover mobile phone insrance. Most of the banks offer similar packages. Ive had no issues with call outs . RAC have come to the house for a flat battery on a car in the garage no issues long waits good service.

As in the title.
Wow that’s exorbitant!
I’m with greenflag, it’s super cheap but on two occasions I’ve called them they’ve been subcontractors which were of questionable skill. So not sure if it’s a recommended haha

all the best

Another here with Nationwide flexplus account, used specifically for its breakdown cover and mobile phone insurance. I have 5 cars and needed cover for persons driving not the vehicles, so both me and the wife are covered whatever the vehicle we are in are for £13/month, plus all the iphones are insured too!

I've been with Nationwide Plus for a good few years now. Had to call on them twice, once quite recently for the A2 when the alternator went. They sent a local firm/subcontractors to pick it up, they recovered it to the garage I use, no fuss.

Risk is always who they send out, either their own people (who can be brilliant or rubbish) or a subcontractor (who can be brilliant or rubbish).

Travel and mobile insurance is handy too although obv the former is a bit unneeded at present :)

As in the title.
Afternoon John,

I had a similar renewal price from the AA a few years ago. I moved to the RAC who charge £19 a month for both A2s and the A6, home start, towed anywhere in the UK etcetera. Fully covered along with as a passenger in any other car (both the wife and I). Cannot complain.

I didn’t look any further at he time as I thought it is was a good deal compared to what the AA wanted.

My first and second RAC renewal wasn’t any cheaper, it went up by £2-£3 a month. Guess it pays to be a new customer and move around the various providers every year. They just doesn’t seem to be long serving customer loyalty anymore.

The 2 times I’ve called them out (when my Ebony Black A2 commuter died last February and when the A6 EGR Valve failed), it was always a RAC vehicle with a very knowledgeable driver. Very helpful and couldn’t fault the service provided.

Hope you get a decent priced cover sir.

Kind regards,

Tom

I too am with AA, but will seriously look to change at next renewal. We had an exorbitant quote couple of years ago, so rang and had a go. It was almost halved.
Beware, any chance n they'll pull your pants down! So much for loyalty.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

A word of caution Green Flag reluctant to cover vehicles over 10 years old. Also if using you bank for cover check the fine print on vehicle age covered.

As in the title.
I have been with AA gold membership for years now: each year they increase the cover "just because". I ring, I complain and the renewal goes down. Each year the same rigmarole. Worth haggling before going elsewhere.

Just dug out my bank details. They only cover vehicles less than 16 years old. So please check your banks details if you are relying on that. Would be nice if you posted what age your bank covers up to.

A word of caution Green Flag reluctant to cover vehicles over 10 years old. Also if using you bank for cover check the fine print on vehicle age covered.
I’m with Green Flag and absolutely no problem getting full cover for my Y plate 1.4.

@Bargepower Personal Cover states under 16 years old. What cover do you have from Green Flag.

Whatever you need, we’ve got you covered.

Vehicle cover
for one car

If your car breaks down, we’ll come to the rescue.

It doesn’t matter who’s driving or if you’re in the vehicle at the time, if your car breaks down, we’ll be there.

And we’ve got five levels of cover for you to choose from.

Vehicle cover
for two cars

If you have two cars, you can get them both covered quickly and easily.

And even with two cars, it still doesn’t matter who’s driving them, we’ve always got your cars covered.

Personal cover
for you

Whatever car you’re traveling in, we’ll come to the rescue if something goes wrong.

As long as it’s less than 16-years-old, privately registered in and being used in the UK, we’ll be there.

The vehicle on your Green Flag policy will also be covered for good measure.

Afternoon John,

I had a similar renewal price from the AA a few years ago. I moved to the RAC who charge £19 a month for both A2s and the A6, home start, towed anywhere in the UK etcetera. Fully covered along with as a passenger in any other car (both the wife and I). Cannot complain.

I didn’t look any further at he time as I thought it is was a good deal compared to what the AA wanted.

My first and second RAC renewal wasn’t any cheaper, it went up by £2-£3 a month. Guess it pays to be a new customer and move around the various providers every year. They just doesn’t seem to be long serving customer loyalty anymore.

The 2 times I’ve called them out (when my Ebony Black A2 commuter died last February and when the A6 EGR Valve failed), it was always a RAC vehicle with a very knowledgeable driver. Very helpful and couldn’t fault the service provided.

Hope you get a decent priced cover sir.

Kind regards,

Tom
You have to play the game. I am also with the RAC and their second year renewal was significantly higher (can't remember exact figures), I complained and basically said put it back to were it was or I'm off. "See what we can do then" and lo and behold more or less back to year one price, with 'free' home start added.

Year three renewal price just arrived, £121 for one A2 and cover in any other car as a passenger.

Andy

I’m with Barclays details of coverage. Barclays aren’t taking new applications .
51B09043-5BB0-4BCC-9007-0B1F131A4A0C.jpeg
86F77E91-B349-48B3-9CD6-869949DB2DE1.jpeg

Our A2 and TT are with Green Flag. As they are both over 15 years, they are insured individually (one policy), and not one specific vehicle, and any other you drive, as that any other you drive has age limit.
Cost is £135 for 20/21. That's the total for both cars. Recovery Plus cover.
Mac.

Last edited:
Back