Broken top of center console

her66

Hello all,
Accidentally the top of my center console has been damaged similarly to another forum members post (https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...d-like-glass-in-the-middle.26387/#post-209294).
audi_a2_center_console.jpg

Since all the links from that old post don't seem to work any more and the OP has not posted if and how he fixed the damage, I thought I'll ask the forum members for help on how I could fix the damage. Do I need to find just the center console or do I need a whole dashboard?

Let me know if I need to provide more info or pictures.

Thank you very much in advance

Whole new dash that.

Single Din (thin radio) dash should be easy enough to pickup for a few quid, should take an afternoon to swap round if you got the tools and the ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy!! That's not very charitable! It doesn't sound like you!
@her66 , a whole new dash is needed. Let us know if you can find one in Greece. There is one on eBay Germany but it is far too expensive.
Good luck in your search and let us know your progress.
Welcome to the club.

It is possible to cut out the centre section and put in another one. Sometimes people sell them, but normally from double-DIN cars - it's a way to do that upgrade without taking the whole dash out. You might be lucky enough to find one but you'd need a Symphony radio and new climate controls. Or you could chop up another single-DIN dash and refit the centre section to yours.

Sorry, not really clear enough there @Captain059 ;) I meant he's not likely to be able to buy one from the UK forum :) I noticed OP is in Greece, so not really viable to ship one out there from UK anyway.

Didn't mean to upset you Jeremy ;)
I found an undertray for my FSI on eBay from Latvia, delivery is £10.
So you never know, @her66 may find a LHD dashboard on eBay or somewhere in Greece. I think the fixing is probably very similar, and I am sure people on here can help. Maybe @bretti_kivi

Yeah, we can definitely help (you didn't upset me, to be honest I was horrified I might have inadvertently upset someone else ;) ) I was just pointing out that we probably couldn't help where parts (LHD dashboard anyone apart from 1.2tdi owners) were required. :)

Hello all,
Accidentally the top of my center console has been damaged similarly to another forum members post (https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...d-like-glass-in-the-middle.26387/#post-209294).
View attachment 45394

Since all the links from that old post don't seem to work any more and the OP has not posted if and how he fixed the damage, I thought I'll ask the forum members for help on how I could fix the damage. Do I need to find just the center console or do I need a whole dashboard?

Let me know if I need to provide more info or pictures.

Thank you very much in advance

Wow, that's some damage! How did you do that ????? Anyway, I'd consider this to be a great chance to re-design that top area! I'd use alloy plate to make a frame and hinged lid. I've done this twice and it's on the Forum. However, I've kept to the overall size of the rectangle that you see on the top of the dash. With that massive damaged area, a really special hinged opening could be designed and its size could be maximised! I've also perfected the way to modify those ducts so as to allow a reasonable depth to the tray/box that ultimately resides under the top hinged lid. Anyway, if you do replace that dash, I wouldn't mind it so that I could experiment on it! However, Greece IS a little bit TOO far for collection! LOL!

David

Hey all! Wow! Thanks to all, that's really a great welcome to a new forum member!

Captain059: I couldn't spot the one from the German eBay. How would that be named in Geman? Mittelkonsole? If you have a link would be nice.

sciroccorrado and Captain059: Yes, I am from Greece, so indeed long and expensive to sent out from the UK. By the way, by looking at various pictures from LHD and RHD I get the feeling that the centre console should be perfectly symetrical so it should fit in both types. Do you or any other member have an idea about this? I wouldn't want to find a RHD centre console to realize later that it will not fit into my LHD, wouldn't I?

DJ 190: The damage was caused by a friend of my to whom I lent the car for a couple of days. He is really amazing in destroying things! If you guys could just see his car or his house. There is not a single thing unbroken or working properly, be it a door, a light button or the water tap! He said that his spectacles fell on the floor and he leaned on the top to reach them and bow! Anyway, I searched your posts and found the one with the title "What's this on the dash?" Are you referring to this one? That's really cool! But I don't think I have the skills and the tools to do it my self. Do you think I could just get the tray you used in your project (Dash Storage Tray Trim. VW P/No 6Q0858719), and just fit this one without doing the additional hassle to create the lid as well? The tray is relatively cheap to find on eBay. By the way, if I end up replacing the centre console, I wouldn't mind sending it to you for experimentation. After browsing a bit through your posts you seem to be a mod magician!

The Central section can be replaced on its own. A Complete dash from Germany will *not* be cheap.

I would use a UK one if you can, though it will be a complex repair.

- Bret

Hi,

With Bret's information the way to go is pick up the central section from one of the recyclers on here. It should fit in a largish box for posting okay.

Alternativly here are three alternative dashboards, the first very much cheaper than the previous suggestion. Try Google translate!

https://www.onderdelenlijn.nl/auto-...l/a2/onderdeel/dashboard/onderdeelid/7941733/

Andy

Edit. Sorry the link to all three does not want to work, but if you go back a page by clicking overzich you will see them but no detail, at least not in English!

Last edited:
Thank you all for the valuable info. Indeed its way too expensive from Germany. The Dutch one's are reasonable though. Thanks for this Andrew.

OK, I will go discuss it with my mechanic on Monday to see which option I should go for. I will keep you posted on progress ...

Well ... after a long time I've managed to fix my broken dash. None of the modification/repair options suggested worked as I couldn't do it on my own and all the experts on car internals or plastic repairs/rebuilds wouldn't undertake such a task.

Thus, the only option that remained was to get me a new dash. I found one from Germany (approx. 100€). Because shipping was way too expensive, I had it delivered to me with the help of a friend who lives in Germany through multiple destinations. Replacement was done by my car electrician who took me another 150€. So, end of story, I have a brand new dash with less than 300€.

The only problem now is that my friend who broke it ... is coming again next month!!!

what about wrapping that centre top section in lets say, zebra skin fur fabric? or some other fabric? perhaps leather? You would just need to put some foam or some other kind of filler or board in the hole area so it looked reasonably smooth then some foam over that and then your leather or zebra fabric?

I also thought about it but a couple of guys I asked who do car tapestries said that it would look ugly and didn't want to undertake the job. Never mind, I am all set now.

Back