Bug is home!

Jaijai82

Hi everyone
Just bought my first a2. Bug is 1.4tdi 90. I’m glad there’s a forum like this I’ve found out tons already! Sure I’ll have lots more stupid questions.

Bug deceived me I thought he was better then he was! Pulling to left , lumpy on start and a growling clutch! Drive home was fun! ?

Got him home and had a good look over him and discovered 3 bald tires and massively kerbed alloys. Anyway I’ve put 3 new tyres on him and done the wheel alignment. Seems to have solved it and the run home from Birmingham and trip to north York’s seems to have cleared up the lumpiness. Teach me to buy a car blind!

Bought him for the missus and to tow our trailer tent (check them out, campstar air. Perfect for a2 weigh about 160kg) if I ever find a tow bar!! ? seems like everyone and their auntie is after one!

Anyone got any experience of roof racks and surf boards on their a2?

All the best Ryan

Attachments

• EBE570D6-DDEC-4658-8492-377DAF02D02C.jpeg
    EBE570D6-DDEC-4658-8492-377DAF02D02C.jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 293
Reactions: sco
This is the trailer tent. 1m wide 1.6m long

Attachments

• FB1BA7B0-89A0-4C59-952B-B3B9CE883791.jpeg
    FB1BA7B0-89A0-4C59-952B-B3B9CE883791.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 288
Congratulations on the purchase. Trailer tent looks interesting, I'm just getting organised to tow our Conway Cruiser (folding camper). I have roof bars, used for ladders, kayaks, bikes and 16' canoe(soon as the weather warms). I prefer Thule wingbars (pretty quiet) comprising of 961 bars (£80), 754 footpack (£80) and fitting kit 1195 (£36ish-unique to A2).
Is there much space inside the trailer for luggage? How is it for reversing, I had to fit a flag/pole to my small trailer so I could see what it was up to while reversing (also handy to confirm it was still following us too). ;)

Those wheels are prone to buckling, had ours refurbished and every wheel was buckled, it runs very true and smooth now though. Stick with it and it will reward.

Hi everyone
Just bought my first a2. Bug is 1.4tdi 90. I’m glad there’s a forum like this I’ve found out tons already! Sure I’ll have lots more stupid questions.

Bug deceived me I thought he was better then he was! Pulling to left , lumpy on start and a growling clutch! Drive home was fun! ?

Got him home and had a good look over him and discovered 3 bald tires and massively kerbed alloys. Anyway I’ve put 3 new tyres on him and done the wheel alignment. Seems to have solved it and the run home from Birmingham and trip to north York’s seems to have cleared up the lumpiness. Teach me to buy a car blind!

Bought him for the missus and to tow our trailer tent (check them out, campstar air. Perfect for a2 weigh about 160kg) if I ever find a tow bar!! ? seems like everyone and their auntie is after one!

Anyone got any experience of roof racks and surf boards on their a2?

All the best Ryan

Not sure if have read a post I made a week or two ago about a know company who sells towbars has a offer on, a good one in fact. A few members have fitted this exact towbar.

A32037FC-7457-49CA-843F-4D4C6750DD5B.png
1CFB2B5A-2DC1-43A8-93E0-0F50A164B77C.png

Hi everyone thanks for your replies.
Sourced a roof rack for 80 notes which isn’t too bad considering it’s nearly brand new. Not sure I fancy strapping my long board to it though because there’s too much flex in it with the relatively short spacing between the racks!
Tow bar wise thanks for the info, I did see that offer. What’s the difference between that and the genuine one? Any of you guys who fitted one had any issues?

Loving the car! Returning 48mpg which is a bit off manufacturers stats but I’m quite happy with that.
Still got these lumpy knocks on start up that stop once been driven for a while! Also discovered the buttons for fuel filler cap and alarm on the door shut are cream crackered!

Anyone recommend someone I could get it checked over and serviced in the northwest? Preferably close to Manchester/warrington as possible?

Many thanks

Hi and welcome to tdi90 ownership. It has it's moments, good and bad.
A nice looking example you have there.
I too experienced knocks on start-up and shut down. They eventually went away - I don't know if they were due to the car not being used too much. Prior to my ownership it generally only covered 4-6k miles a year.
Make sure you get the clutch checked out - and DMF! You'll find much info on this on the forum.
Regards
Steve M

Back