Buzzy Bee Noise!

Cenick

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Noticed a noise from the back passenger side of the car this evening, even without hearing aids ;) Like a rather large bee, actually like a thousand bees!

Pressing the brakes made no difference and it also carried on for a while once coming to a halt, however swerving side to side made if go for a short period.

I had the car jacked up to swap over wheels yesterday but nothing was else done at the rear, I can only guess that it is an ally heat shield plate that's been dislodged and is now rattling, maybe its an exhaust shield?

Anyone have other ideas on what to look out for?

Its going to be really annoying for a week!

One of the exhaust heat shields or the fuel filter heatshield. Could even be internals of the silencer come loose. Other possibilities are the rear seats not correctly locked into the floor, the upper dust shield for the shock absorber has dropped down and is vibrating against the shock or even the rear crash beam is loose or its bolts worn oval causing that to rattle. Had all of these on various cars.
First two to check are the fuel heatshield and the shock absorber.

One of the exhaust heat shields or the fuel filter heatshield. Could even be internals of the silencer come loose. Other possibilities are the rear seats not correctly locked into the floor, the upper dust shield for the shock absorber has dropped down and is vibrating against the shock or even the rear crash beam is loose or its bolts worn oval causing that to rattle. Had all of these on various cars.
First two to check are the fuel heatshield and the shock absorber.

Thanks, I’m fairly sure that one your suggestions is the cause

Sent from the future

Remember sound travels so do not just look at the suspect area, could be anywhere from the front number plate to the rear number plate.

Shock cover would look like this...

index.php

and they really do make a racket when like this.

I had this and it was the heat sheild around the fuel filter, the fixing to the sill had crumbled. I used up tack and blue roll to wedge it, shhh don't tell anyone. Oh and I have the above issue on both rear shocks and it sounds like a marble in a plastic cup! Awful

I knew it was too early to put winter tyres on, not that we get any really bad weather here anyway

I’ll make sure I check both, I’m hedging my bets on heady shield as I think that’s the only think that could make this type of noise when not moving.

Will see what happens on the way to work in the morning.

Sent from the future

No but, I have a thought! (Oh dear)

I wonder if it’s the front brake shield vibrating as it was bent and I push back into the correct position.
Just to not it was ok for 9miles today before the noise occurred again.

I don’t have the time to look at until the weekend

Sent from the future

Would only expect the brake shield to make noise if it was touching something or if the mounting points are cracked.

Back