Car dead after battery replacement

Wiry

Hi, i changed my battery today because the old one was dead. When I tried to start the car with the old one it didn't get enough power and just shut off and all of the lights got shut off as well. So i changed my battery and now it won't show any signs of life. No lamps, no sound, nothing...
Screenshot_20211202-211141.jpg
Screenshot_20211202-211130.jpg

I suppose the most likely thing is the new battery is at fault here. Are you able to test it to see if it has more than 12 V across it?

Also wondering is there any corrosion or anything that could be causing the cables not to make a connection to the battery?

On the positive connector side of the battery, lift the black flap, there is a large flat fuse...check that it hasn't blown...same happened on a car I bought years ago as a non runner.....£1 later...bingo!

• Wow
Reactions: Ami
On the positive connector side of the battery, lift the black flap, there is a large flat fuse...check that it hasn't blown...same happened on a car I bought years ago as a non runner.....£1 later...bingo!
Spot on advice, that would be my suggestion.

As above, check the fuse and tightness of the connectors. Not aware of any battery coding required on the 1.2 tdi after a replacement battery is fitted. Battery does look small though compared to my 1.4 tdi battery but all part of the built in weight saving.

As above, check the fuse and tightness of the connectors. Not aware of any battery coding required on the 1.2 tdi after a replacement battery is fitted. Battery does look small though compared to my 1.4 tdi battery but all part of the built in weight saving.
Probably a silly question, but how do we know this is a 1.2tdi? The G-suffix to the positive cable part number visible suggests it is a 1.4i as does the small battery to my mind.

Check the earth point behind/under the driver's side headlight.

RAB

Also check that the battery posts and connectors are clean. Petroleum jelly is sometimes used in the hope that it will prevent corrosion but it may also contaminate the connection surfaces.

RAB

Yes, the battery does look on the small side, but it's the rating that matters. My 1.2Tdi battery filled the battery compartment. 7zap is not very helpful on this.

RAB

Back