Cars for sale thread

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Would it be a viable option to have a section where people just have to post the link to cars that are for sale?

I know that the "Spotted" section is for that, but on other forums the "Spotted" section is for the "I saw an A2 in Tesco's" type of Spotted.

A simple section where we can post all of the links we come across might be an idea. or am I just misunderstanding the use of the Spotted section on here (entirely possible)

It is just that when I was looking for an A2 on here I seemed to have to look at several threads/sections to see what was on the market.

But it is probably best to just leave it as it is, on the basis that "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"

Steve B

Yes, should this be the preferred option.

I can't recall how the spotted section evolved to where it is, but it's most likely my design as I suggested it in the first place to capture stuff which just got lost in the general forum. From 2008-2010, I was much more prolific in adding cars to the spotted forum ( but there were more on sale then) and it was my idea to separate them into the model variants and I continue to move threads to these places.

If there was a desire to just post everything to a single thread entitled 'cars for sale' I can change this.

Yes, should this be the preferred option.

I can't recall how the spotted section evolved to where it is, but it's most likely my design as I suggested it in the first place to capture stuff which just got lost in the general forum. From 2008-2010, I was much more prolific in adding cars to the spotted forum ( but there were more on sale then) and it was my idea to separate them into the model variants and I continue to move threads to these places.

If there was a desire to just post everything to a single thread entitled 'cars for sale' I can change this.

We can see what everyone thinks, but we need to clarify what the suggestion is.

I was thinking of just a section headed A2s for sale, people can post a for sale advert on there whether it is their own sale (with the usual conditions) or one they have spotted.
The titles would hopefully include whether it was a tdi or not?
Like me, nice and simple!!

Steve B

I think the section "spotted" being in the marketplace section it speaks for itself as to what its for. We already have a "was it you" in a separate section for the people that spot an a2 out and about. Just my 2p's worth mike

My basic point was that if someone wants to buy an A2 it would be useful if they just had to look at one section?

At the moment they have to look at the cars for sale and the spotted sections, but surely they are both sections that show cars for sale?

I may be wrong but don't we have a combined cars and parts section as the for sale section?

It is not important, it is just that new members (especially those that don't yet have an A2) might find it easier to locate their A2 to buy if they only look in one place?

I am more than happy with things as they are, so please just see this more as a question rather than a suggestion.

If others think that it is easy to find the list of cars for sale then lets not change anything.

Steve B

Last edited:
As someone new to the forum and searching for an A2, perhaps I can offer an alternative opinion.

My experience of other car forums mirrors that of Steve's, in that their equivalent "was it you" section is called the "spotted" forum. However, as sumo points out the fact that the "spotted" section here is in the marketplace was an easy clue for me as to its real purpose (plus of course the "A2s spotted in the classifieds" section description).

I actually like the fact that the Spotted forum is separated into the different model types (provided things are posted in the right place) as it makes searching for particular models easy to do, on the assumption that other people are like me and at any one time are looking for a certain type if they've taken the time to visit A2OC over an Autotrader or eBay search. That being said, I can see that the system is error prone where an example fits into multiple categories (e.g. colour.storm + TDi), so maybe some thought is needed as to what threads should exist or ensure that any overlap is covered by cross-posting (generally discouraged and not easy to maintain).
One strong benefit of having different threads for each model is that one can subscribe to receive notifications of thread updates based on the model of interest.

I'm also in favour of keeping Selling and Spotted separate as it's not difficult to check both and it makes the distinction between cars affiliated with A2OC members and those not.

As stated at the beginning, just an alternative opinion...

Back