Celebrity Pine Green tdi rescue

CrispyEdd

United-Kingdom
I've been fairly active on the group, and I'm still working away at almost a complete restoration of Black Mambo in my other project thread.

My intentions are to finish that in next two months and enjoy my last year of long distance commuting in it. Its taken over a year and been frustrating and rewarding!
I recently also bought a donor petrol for parts, and then got that fixed up and through an mot and sold on.

I vowed this is the last one Because of then time and energy it takes away from an already busy life and most importantly time to ride my bikes and stay healthy!

Anyway this one came up for sale on here, down in Cornwall for a good price but with no mot and abs issues as listed. Here's the original photos.

IMG_20240130_120334.jpg
IMG_20240130_120729.jpg
IMG_20240130_120638.jpg
IMG_20240130_120620.jpg
IMG_20240130_120543.jpg
IMG_20240130_120644.jpg
IMG_20240130_120659.jpg
IMG_20240130_120557.jpg

I bought and fit a towbar and electrics by myself to my rescued skoda superb (300k miles 2.0 tdi mk2 if anyone cares)
Hired a local trailer and straps for first time and set off to Cornwall with @Chris Warrenrong for a day out and for safety!

Great gammon steaks at the Jamaica Inn if you're passing BTW..

@Clackers Let me know that this was once his car, and that a friend bought it for him, out of the blue, from a lady who had it left on her drive by an actor!
This is great, not only has it been in the club it has intersting history!
The rumour was he broke down and asked her if he could leave it there, then came back and said just keep it! Must have been paying well in tv, apparently someone in the "peak practice" show.

I've got the car back in Bristol now and going through in some paperwork with G Mavers on and then fallen behind the centre console a menage that confirmed the owner as Gary Mavers. I think his brother or cousin is Lee mavers of band "the laas" fame?

Here's the note..
20240411_144755.jpg

So I looked him up and yes he likes cars, and has a relatively new youtube channel about restoring classics. I managed him on there and he responded to confirm he had it from new!

Screenshot_20240412_071247_YouTube.jpg

He hasn't offered to buy it back so I'm going to crack on now, tidy it up, and get this one back on the road and I will then sell it on here.

This will then be my final A2 foray I think, as I'll be working within a Mile from home come Christmas and will barely drive anymore.

Reserved for photos of current condition

Click for little walk around of mould city...

Last edited:
Nice colour I’m biased though. Quite like this radio version sits nice and flush compared to mine wonder what differences between the two.

So having seemingly sorted the abs drama, here...
Thread 'P01423 g200 57-00 lateral acceleration' https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/p01423-g200-57-00-lateral-acceleration.55166/

I now have the following checklist to work through, starting with power steering..I did notice steering angle looked funny on vcds briefly while rushing around last night..

Faults
Vcds faults
01309 Power steering module J500 no communication - fixed with fuse 38
18062 check memory instrument cluster P1654 - don't really know this one!

Job list\repairs
Power steering not working light on - fixed fuse 38 replaced
Drivers mirror adjuster knob broken - sourced new switch
Passenger window switch not working - sourced new switch
Nsr arch paint chipped
Check engine mounts
Check gear linkage reset
Rear no plate screws - will stick on instead
Rear no plate light lenses\units - sourced new screw and lenses
Check Oil level sensor - fixed fuse 38!

Parts
Scuttle panel - sourced
Passenger speaker grills front back
Dipstick tip missing
Fuse panel cover clips
Audi chorus stereo screen - looking at ribbon solder
Driver check strap - sourced
2 x tyres 185 50 16 rear

Last edited:
Today I made some progress, the ac not working and power steering not working were indeed linked.

Fuse 38 was missing so an easy fix. Ac runs cold so an extra.bonus.

I drove it a bit further and there is rear brake judder and crunches, so that's next job to get drums off. Suspension soft and soke knocks a bit but that's for later.

I've also picked up the correct twist seats to remove the leathers and put them for sale to fund repairs.

So I've been busy investigating 🔎 😕 a weird sound quite harsh on moving, jacked the rear wheels up and they spin ok no grumbling and no play.

However when jacking up the nearside there were multiple comedy spring pings and plungs like a giant harp! 🤣 on looking underneath I'm greeted with rust and crumbled spring mounts and also a heavily corroded spring! All looks terribly original under there.
I hope my old springs (mabo) with new mounts will solve it.

To fund the project I've sold the interior seats, and swapped them for a bargain set of twist cloth in great condition..this now makes financial sense and may well ensure this car gets its mot and back on the road. Below I've begun cleaning away! See the new seats I really like twist and jive in a pine green!

The mat is half cleaned half not, to show effectiveness. See the ucket of water thats just from the half passenger mat below!
20240422_130715.jpg
20240422_144539.jpg
20240422_144841.jpg
20240422_144857.jpg

The seats above have not been cleaned yet, superb condition and a bargain!

Did a proper rest drive tonight and parked up in its final work spot ready to go up on stands for some time I'd imagine! Probably the most interesting collection of bumps knocks and metal vibrations I've ever heard on a car that still drives 😆

On the plus side the engine felt good gearbox felt good brakes felt good and the aircon worked!

From feel im estimating the following rusty crusty work...

1. Front arb bushes- ✔️ 👍
2. Rear springs probably shocks too
3. Exhaust flexi - not damaged!
4. Dogbone mount- ✔️ 👍
5. Droplinks- ✔️ 👍

Then I'll see what other noises are left Still going! Then oil and filter service and some interior plastic button etc before mot.

Last edited:
Shame its lost its leather if it was original to the vehicle. But I understand why..
Hi, i check with previois owners and the leather wasn't original, it was retro fit, with the half and half door cards.
A lot of people haye twist as its easynto dirty and high maintenace.
It's now original, bar the door cards. This is a great result for me as it released funds to repair it and its on its way back to it proper state.
The car needs about £500 to finish it off and it will be mot and up for sale, back on the road. It was going to be crushed!
I think twist cream would be the only leather I personally would pop into a pine green the cream and green in real-time look excellent.

I'll.post some more this weekend as and when I get time to work on it.

Got it up on Jack stands today, and after chuckling at the myriad of fixings to hold the undertray on, I inspected the knocking noise sources.

Arb totally gone
Dog bone totally gone
Drop links bottoms gone

So shopping ordered and hopefully a nice result.

Rear springs I have spare ones so that and a de rust is next job after this.

20240429_120435.jpg

Last edited:
All new arb 16mm febi, new dog bone febi, and spare oem drop links fitted!
Test drive later. School run now.

Used hot water for roll bar bushes to soften and touch of silicon spray. Lovely fit!

Back