Changing Camshaft sensor

LukeT

Hello all, I am after a bit of advice - I am having an issue with a camshaft sensor, I ordered and fitted a cheap ebay sensor and the car wouldn't run (previously it started fine when cold, but was struggling a bit when warm). So I refitted the old sensor and the car started up fine. I contacted the seller who said that the error codes would need clearing down. I am not convinced that you should need to clear the codes when you change the sensor, does anyone else know if this is the case?

Anyway I ordered a VCDS cable and downloaded VCDS lite which did show a camshaft intermittent error. Without the activated version of VCDS lite I can't clear the codes, is there any other way to clear them?

Thanks for the help.
Luke

Firstly, why would you need to clear the codes when the original sensor worked ok - they are fobbing you off.
Secondly, you can clear the codes with VDCS-Lite, at least mine does and also with the Torque app from a mobile when using a Bluetooth OBD-II adaptor.

Hi Andy, it does sound like they are trying to fob me off - I can't see why the new one wouldn't work properly out of the box, I can't really see why you'd need to clear codes to make it work, especially when by replacing with the original one it works fine! But I wanted to make sure what experience other people had before I sent it back and bought elsewhere.

Is it this adapter you are using - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Scanner-Diagnostic-Adapter-Android/dp/B07CP632CL

Cheers
Luke

Hi Andy, it does sound like they are trying to fob me off - I can't see why the new one wouldn't work properly out of the box, I can't really see why you'd need to clear codes to make it work, especially when by replacing with the original one it works fine! But I wanted to make sure what experience other people had before I sent it back and bought elsewhere.

Is it this adapter you are using - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Scanner-Diagnostic-Adapter-Android/dp/B07CP632CL

Cheers
Luke

Not exactly like that, mine is a smaller one in clear blue plastic, they all do pretty much the same though. Clearing the codes will be down to the s/w though, not the Bluetooth adapter.

Your being given the run around
Clearing the fault code would make no difference to the sensor working or not working
It would be a good idea to clear the fault code but it would not stop the engine from starting
In fact the engine will start and run without the cam sensor but it will take longer to start because the ecu will need to figure out which piston is on compression stroke. It typically takes about 10 revs to figure this out
No cam sensor will normally through a mil light but it’s a method commonly used to see if the cam sensor is faulty (disconnect and see if engine runs any better )

Also any version of vcds will clear the fault code as will any odbII scanner

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back