Changing front speakers..

skymf

Hey, Im thinking of changing the two front speakers who are a little damaged on one side. (Door hinge...)
But when i started looking, I found that there are like two + and two - cables going into the plug that fits straight to the original speakers. Guess one leads to the small treble speaker somehow?
Can I just cut where the plug is and put the double cables together, and joint them to my new connector cables? Hard to explain, but I hope someone gets what Im going for... Any ideas ? ^_^

Thicker comes from head unit and smaller wire goes to tweeter yes. Cutting connector and putting them together + adding new wire for speaker is fine technically. But before doing that you should figure out how to fit the new speaker.
Leave the cutting for last and attach new speaker beforehand.
And be sure to mark polarity (+ and -) for reference.

Ok. So the small treble speakers wont Keep working?
Seems like they do a lot for hearing well while drivning.. hmm. Guess ill experiment some with double wires when it get a little hotter outdoors ?

The tweeters will still work if connected, they have a capacitor to filter the bass out and save damage. Make sure you use the correct impedance speakers.
Ian

At least for the ones who came with Sony stereos. Dont even got rear speakers or cables to connect back there. Cheap version i guess. 1.4 petrol -00

I've got some original speakers here if you needed to replace like for like...I have personally never found the genuine speakers a problem....

Andy

are these really original speakers? There shouldn't be anything close to the door stay.
I suspect the original front speakers have been damaged by a failed check strap. I see this regularly. If the failed check strap is allowed to flap about for too long, it'll eventually poke a hole through the speaker housing.

I've got some original speakers here if you needed to replace like for like...I have personally never found the genuine speakers a problem....
I'd also be replacing like with like. The original speakers are an oddball diameter and depth, meaning fitting aftermarket stuff isn't straightforward. Given that originals are decent and readily available, this would be my course of action.

Cheers,

Tom

I fixed the front speakers pretty well. So now Im considering getting cables so I can add rear speakers instead. Got two new ones, so ill probably try setting that up in the summer.

I fixed the front speakers pretty well. So now Im considering getting cables so I can add rear speakers instead. Got two new ones, so ill probably try setting that up in the summer.
What speakers did you fit and any mods needed ?

What speakers did you fit and any mods needed ?

I soldered the small original treble back together and used tape on the small hole in the speaker housing. Pressed out a dent on the bass speaker. So now it sounds nice again.
The Broken door hinge had pressed into the speaker.

And I Still Got My new speakers waiting to be installed in the back instead ?

A welcome from the UK to our Swedish cousins :)

If you want rear speakers, there is an original way of doing it, which is quite efficient. It involves a small amplifier which seats underneath floor on right hand side of car. I'm sure there are some instructions on the site how to do this.

I soldered the small original treble back together and used tape on the small hole in the speaker housing. Pressed out a dent on the bass speaker. So now it sounds nice again.
The Broken door hinge had pressed into the speaker.

And I Still Got My new speakers waiting to be installed in the back instead ?
New standard ?

Back