Changing front spring on drivers side

• Thread starter Deleted member 16918
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16918

I recently changed the offside front spring on my 1.4tdi with webasto heater. It proved to be not to hard in spite of the horror stories. I gained access to the top mounting by removing the bolts securing the brake reservoir cradle(3 lower ones and one on the wing all 10mm) and pushing it to one side after removing the bolt securing the air intake on the cradle and pushing that to one side. I used a socket set and although it was a bit fiddly I got there. At the bottom I did not need to undo anything but the pinch bolt and removed the strut with some mild bashing. I used spring compressors (about £8 online) which were very useful. Having removed the strut, I undid the top nut using a 21mm ring spanner and 30 torx although it is supposed to be a hex. I changed the compressors over, fitted the spring and put it back on. To seat the strut I jacked up the hub although I could have refitted the wheel and lowered it to the ground. I then replaced the remaining bits.

Smooth!
I struggled in fairness think my approach was wrong, so wish the had designed them with bolts going upwards into captives but seen as thou its only a issue for RHD guess its not a priority (Peugeot Experts have this design and its pure heaven!)
Did you change the top mount as well?
Did you need to replace the corroded/worn pinch bolt?

Smooth!
I struggled in fairness think my approach was wrong, so wish the had designed them with bolts going upwards into captives but seen as thou its only a issue for RHD guess its not a priority (Peugeot Experts have this design and its pure heaven!)
That's a really clever idea: do everything from underneath? Also, in the arch bolt heads much less likely to corrode than threads. Same production costs as well you'd imagine.

I've just done the same job, no Webasto, but plenty of little fuel / vacuum pipes helping to block the master cylinder bracket loosening. One of those jobs that once you've done one, the next would be much easier.

I have to say, this one really did feel like it was going to shear the captive nuts off the struts though. Will deffo spend more time on hitting them with penetrating fluid well before the job on the next one.

Smooth!
I only changed the spring. The top mount seemed OK and the spring cost £18 new as opposed to about £30 for a manky secondhand strut. Of course I reused the pinch bolt although I realise that is is supposed to be renewed.

The car just passed the mot, so not a total botch.

Back