Climate Control fault codes

Had timing belt/water pump done on my 1.4 petrol today. Mechanic put his code reader on and it showed 2 codes, 01272, Step motor central damper- Blocked or no voltage- Intermittent and 00600, Step motor potentiometer, temperature damper- Sort circuit your positive or open circuit- Intermittent. The Climate control seems to be sorting ok. Anyone seen/cured these faults?

These may be very old messages, messages since the last scan are kept until the next scan, they could be years old. They need to be cleared and then rescanned to ensure that they are current.

I have scanned hundreds of A2s and VERY few have a clear climate scan. The flaps can sometime get a bit sticky if not used for a while and so this can cause such errors,

if your Climate is working ok then I wouldn't worry too much, but as I say get the error codes cleared and have a new scan.

Steve B

It just seems to be one of those little hidden extras Audi were so generous with. An early generation diagnostic computer that did not have the means to report all faults nor self diagnose or repair other basic faults. Its been a while but there was a function in VCDS to "exercise" all the flaps and their potentiometers live while watching the readings change. Until it completely fails just ignore the fault codes.

It just seems to be one of those little hidden extras Audi were so generous with. An early generation diagnostic computer that did not have the means to report all faults nor self diagnose or repair other basic faults. Its been a while but there was a function in VCDS to "exercise" all the flaps and their potentiometers live while watching the readings change. Until it completely fails just ignore the fault codes.
good point Audifan!!!
But if you don't have VCDS, you can exercise the flaps manually, but it takes a while, you switch from maximum temperature to minimum and wait a while, then reverse and repeat several times. Then do this for the air direction settings as well, to exercise those flaps.

This can sometimes cure the problem where the climate blows very hot air even with low temperature settings.

Steve B

Last edited:
Back