Climate control which is which?

number2

I've spent a while trying to find the answer with no luck,
Our car is a 2003 1.4 petrol, I've managed to source a really nice climate control but keep reading about ''double din'' how do I tell which model I've bought and whether it will fit the car?

many thanks.
n2.

If your car has the cubby hole above the ashtray in the dashboard, you have a single-DIN headunit. The climate unit that fits under this has square lower corners. This is the most common arrangement.

If you have no dashboard-cubby and a tray under the handbrake, then you have a double-DIN 6CD Symphony headunit. The climate unit that fits under this goes in the lower position where the cubby would be on a single-DIN car, and it has rounded lower corners to suit the dash aperture.

Double din:
Audi-A2-1999-1280-11.jpg

Single din:
IMG_2078.JPG

I've spent a while trying to find the answer with no luck,
Our car is a 2003 1.4 petrol, I've managed to source a really nice climate control but keep reading about ''double din'' how do I tell which model I've bought and whether it will fit the car?

many thanks.
n2.
I think you have your answer by now but to add.

DIN is an abbreviation for the German 'Deutsches Institut für Normung', translates to 'German Institute For Standardisation', similiar to our British Standards. In this context it defines the size of the dash apertures to enable third parties to manufacture units, normally head units that will fit (in theory).

I remember being equally confused at first, you are not alone. If you think about it is still confusing, both types of climate are single din, I.e. fill one height slot in the dash, a double din climate is single din!! It should read something like 'climate for double din head unit above' but then this misleadingly gets contracted to double din climate. Bottom slot climate would be better.

If you are in any doubt the bottom slot climate has lower round corners the other climate has square corners.

Always amuses me life is littered with ill-named words, domestic boilers are not boilers that is the last thing you want to happen, house radiators do not really radiate they convect, central heating pumps do not pump they circulate....the list is endless.

Andy

Just to add, a climate panel that is intended for a single DIN dash can be filed/sanded to round the corners and fit into a double DIN dash.

Ian

Ok got it, many thanks for the replies - looks like I've got the right unit, before fitting it I'll give it a good clean around the wee fan,
Take care and stay safe everyone.

Back