Clonk from the front wheel / oil consumption

Pedro_Rocha

Hello.
ive another problem in my a2... jesus... never ending problems...
the car does a clank when:
i go forward and break, then when i reverse, if its quickly, clonk..., then if i go forward quickly, another clonk.
it does the clonk only when i change the direction (forward/reverse).
it looks like something has slack.
i went to mechanic, and he tought it was the transmission (the wheel part).
he changed it, but the clonk remains.
less pronunciated and only in reverse, but it remains.

he now thinks it maybe be the hub (dont know the correct word in english).
when i mean the hub is the big metal piece where the calipers fixate, and he axle goes inside. maybe some crack...
never heard of a crack it that part.

maybe a bearing? if it was a bearing during driving i should ear something, no?
maybe a slack in the wheel cube/hub (dont know the correct word)?

Its my money pit :(

i had a problem with the pistons rings. no compression on cylinder 3.
engine open, problem fixed.
but... the oil consumption is there.
About 700 miles from max to min in the oil dipstick.
the fix was made 2000 miles ago. is it normal the oil consumption?

thanks and cheers from portugal

dogbone changed
front wheel suspension, everything swaped.
front ARB bushes swaped. (not original, febi i think)

the clonk only happens the first time i change direction. it doesnt happens more.. only when i change direction (forward/reverse).

What happens if you put the steering on full lock and drive slowly in a circle. does it clonk repeatedly?

Your oil consumption is excessive. My TDi rarely needs topping up between services at 10K mile intervals and 160k miles on the clock.

The 1.4 petrol can be quite heavy on oil consumption. Worth checking all the breather system is intact and no oil on the outside of the engine. I think I "use" more oil checking the level wiping the dipstick than the engine uses in my 1.4 tdi.

Check the brake calipers and pads for wear allowing either the caliper to rotate or the pads to rotate in the caliper. As you go forward all parts will rotate forward and when you reverse the sudden movement rearward could be making the clonk. Or could be worn CV joints.

Hello.
ive another problem in my a2... jesus... never ending problems...
the car does a clank when:
i go forward and break, then when i reverse, if its quickly, clonk..., then if i go forward quickly, another clonk.
it does the clonk only when i change the direction (forward/reverse).
Suspension mounts? Located at the top of the suspension struts and have ball bearings that are open to the elements and can seize up partially. The clonk is caused by the sudden movement of the bearing from its' partially seized position when the steering wheel is moved.

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
My engine is the 1.4 tdi AMF.

"What happens if you put the steering on full lock and drive slowly in a circle. does it clonk repeatedly?"
no. no noise

"Check the brake calipers and pads for wear allowing either the caliper to rotate or the pads to rotate in the caliper"
ive pad has lots of meat.
also the discs are good (no lip)
and no play when the pads are on the caliper.
The CV joint was swaped by a new

thanks

OK it is not the outboard CV joints then. Lift the front of the car, support it safely. Can you then replicate the clonk by tuning the wheels forcibly backwards and forwards? Put the car in first gear.

OK it is not the outboard CV joints then. Lift the front of the car, support it safely. Can you then replicate the clonk by tuning the wheels forcibly backwards and forwards? Put the car in first gear.
unfortunately nope.
only in the elevator, with someone at the wheel.

Why not just put the car in for an IPO? Or at least a mechanic that will do the equivalent checks then repair what they find.

dogbone changed
front wheel suspension, everything swaped.
front ARB bushes swaped. (not original, febi i think)

the clonk only happens the first time i change direction. it doesnt happens more.. only when i change direction (forward/reverse).
this sounds like when my A6 needed new front brake caliper springs. The brake pads would shift to the other extremity in their fitting and clunk into position then stay there until I changed direction and braked again. Audible at low speeds when you are changing direction like this in a car park. Obviously slightly different design of caliper on an A2 but I think that @audifan's post above may well be close to the problem.

I don’t know if this helps, but your description of the problem is very similar to when the wheelbearing is replaced without cleaning& degreasing of the splines of the driveshaft followed by two rings of loctite. The two rings are to be applied to compensate for that tiny bit of play between the driveshaft and wheelbearing. See attached (2 and 3). If this is applicable for new wheelbearing, maybe this can sort your problem out. Good luck ?

Attachments

• 47F367E2-4868-4FA0-B0CE-4A2D5576E317.png
    47F367E2-4868-4FA0-B0CE-4A2D5576E317.png
    9 KB · Views: 87
Back