Colour storm edition TDI owners take note

a2sumo

A2OC Donor
Hi just before I purchased my yellow colour storm the previous owner had to change the rear wheel arch due to the black finish coming off. Well after 5 years I have just noticed that the black finish is coming off and I suspect it's diesel fuel that's doing it. I'm very careful when filling and if it does get splashed I try and wipe it off. It's only slight but it looks like it's spreading - off to Audi to buy another I guess.

So be careful people cheers mike

Have seen this happening to the opposite side of the tank; presume the arch is "sprayed/battered" with gravel, salt etc while driving. At least here in Norway. Mudflaps would probably be a smart move!

The wheel arch under my fuel cap on my silver TDI has been 'etched' by diesel spills. Looks like the top coat has been stripped and a tiny drip immediately spreads into all the scratches in the surface so wiping doesn't help. Keeping a layer of wax or silicone on it helps a bit. I'm thinking of reapplying a layer of topcoat as a more permanent solution but previous attempts at 'patch' painting haven't been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi just before I purchased my yellow colour storm the previous owner had to change the rear wheel arch due to the black finish coming off. Well after 5 years I have just noticed that the black finish is coming off and I suspect it's diesel fuel that's doing it. I'm very careful when filling and if it does get splashed I try and wipe it off. It's only slight but it looks like it's spreading - off to Audi to buy another I guess.

So be careful people cheers mike

Hi Michael
Can you post a photo please... that's interesting I just thought they were plastic.. but they are obviously painted you say ?...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The colour.storm arches are just painted. I'm sure a good bodyshop would be able to match it and save an expensive trip to the dealers.

I don't think this is a problem unique to Colour Storms.

In one place on my non Storm sills the black paint is flaking off. When I first discovered it I was quite shocked as I thought black plastics on the A2 were unpainted but it seems not. It's not a problem as mine is due a major bodyshop visit before the project is complete but I wonder why Audi decided to paint black plastics....erm, black? Maybe as a measure to prevent the plastic greying on cars that do not have a decent wash/protection program?

Jeff

The colour.storm arches are just painted. I'm sure a good bodyshop would be able to match it and save an expensive trip to the dealers.
If it was me that's exactly what I would do ..repaint them...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back