Common oil leak points 1.4TDi (AMF)

Fishman

A2OC Donor
I haven’t had chance to get the undertray off and investigate where all the oil is coming from but I wondered if there are any common places for the AMF engine to lose oil from?

TIA

I have known oil leaks around the rocket cover gasket and the turbo pipes at the back of the engine if it helps. The sump plug is also a good place to start.

Check the inter cooler as sometimes splits and sometimes there is a spout at the bottom which should be sealed but is sometimes open to the elements and under boost a lot of oil is expelled

Dave

If you have changed engine oil filter recently I would have checked oil filter canister cap o-ring

cheers
dieselfan

Yes agree with the oil filler tube; de-attaching from engine-block could also happen (happened twice for me)

And all TDIs has oily turbos I would say

Yes agree with the oil filler tube; de-attaching from engine-block could also happen (happened twice for me)

And all TDIs has oily turbos I would say
Yes, that would be down to it having not been refit correctly when it was replaced which i believe must happen all too often.

It's quite strange when you look at the fittings as there is only the pipe itself, the plastic coupler (which looks like something you would disgard from a plastic bottle), the rubber o ring and the plastic c clip and you would swear the c clip has to go on the coupler but in reality it is just like the original speedfit push fit plumbing fittings that have little metal teeth inside to grip the pipe and the clip is purely to prevent it dismounting, in fact i believe it's actually made by John Guest/Speedfit.

I think some people wouldn't replace the quick fit coupler at all as they either don't have it (costs around £10) or are scared of replacing it as you have to dig the old one out, and as you can see from my old one they become quite brittle and can break so wouldn't be able to secure the pipe?

Attachments

• DSC_3405.JPG
    DSC_3405.JPG
    765.4 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Yes, the design and location is stupid. In my case the oil filler becomes loose due to vibrations. Shame that the regular oil cap is so far back on the top cover, otherwise I would looked into blinding the original oil filler (as someone already does on the petrols)

Blind tight plug something for @depronman ?

Yes, the design and location is stupid. In my case the oil filler becomes loose due to vibrations. Shame that the regular oil cap is so far back on the top cover, otherwise I would looked into blinding the original oil filler (as someone already does on the petrols)

Blind tight plug something for @depronman ?
sorry I don't understand

Paul

If a sketch with dimension can be a divided then I’m sure I can manufacture a blanking plug

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not just repair the filler pipe and fill as Audi intended?
As awkward as it is to replace i do agree.

I'm all for originality and don't think it would be practical to make any kind of replacement bung as you would be in the same predicament, or worse trying to get it to connect and seal into the block.

It's like many parts on the A2, in fact cars in general, that last maybe 10-15 years which is pretty good imo, so why not just replace them with original items once and keep the cars original and as they were designed to be?

I personally feel the same about the pressed steel control arms/wishbones. They last at least 10 years, maybe 15 or maybe forever if they're looked after and kept clean and greased now we know they could corrode and become a problem.

It's possible that the oil filler pipe would last forever too if it was always disconnected from the reservoir at the filling point before any engine work (cambelt etc) is carried out to avoid it being stretched and possibly causing it to split.

Because this is the second time it falls off. The design of this thing is horrible, and doomed to fail. I will very happy to blind it off and remove the filler.

@Olerype Ok well if you know where it fails improve that area of the filling system. I would still prefer that than removing the bonnet and the upper engine cover to get to the other filler cap even if it was only twice a year. I suggest the problem is more due to the colder temperature your pipe operates in. Perhaps if you could use a waterproof flexible type of insulation and wrap the whole of the filler pipe that may improve its cold weather durability.

Back