Compression Test Done. FSI

Crgwal

A2OC Donor
Scotland
Hi Folks,

Today I did a compression test. I had some odd results but "mostly" okay I think.

First test with the engine turned 2 times gave me 13+/- on all of my cylinders.

Second test with the engine turned 5 times gave me 17 on all but one cylinder which was just below 15.

Have I done my compression test correctly as I was expecting to see around 12+/- on all cylinders.

I have been having a little missfire recently but it's not showing any errors at all on VCDS. Oddly after putting all my spark plugs back in and coil packs it hasn't missfired for the last hour of running now. I will keep an eye on it though.

I also put my wire cam down into see the pistons. The piston walls all looked clear but I could see carbon deposits on top of parts of the piston heads. Just interesting really. Cars at 135k miles.

Any feedback on this would be amazing.

Many thanks,
Craig

Hi Folks,

Today I did a compression test. I had some odd results but "mostly" okay I think.

Second test with the engine turned 5 times gave me 17 on all but one cylinder which was just below 15.

Have I done my compression test correctly as I was expecting to see around 12+/- on all cylinders.

I have been having a little missfire recently but it's not showing any errors at all on VCDS. Oddly after putting all my spark plugs back in and coil packs it hasn't missfired for the last hour of running now. I will keep an eye on it though.

I also put my wire cam down into see the pistons. The piston walls all looked clear but I could see carbon deposits on top of parts of the piston heads. Just interesting really. Cars at 135k miles.

Many thanks,
Craig
Was the engine hot?
Mac.

After putting everything back together I haven't missfired since. Maybe a bad wire on one of my coil packs?

Anyway, if anyone has any info on my compression test let me know.

Many thanks.

After putting everything back together I haven't missfired since. Maybe a bad wire on one of my coil packs?

Anyway, if anyone has any info on my compression test let me know.

Many thanks.
If any use a link to the Audi workshop guide on FSI compression data.

The whole thread is enjoyable, except the end.

Andy

Hi Folks,

Many thanks,
Craig
Sorry, should have asked before, assuming your numbers are Bar, the results are very good.
I'm no expert, but I'd think if anything was wrong with the way you tested, your results would under read, so it's an OK from me.
Are your coil packs the originals?
Mac.

Thanks for your reply. Here is a picture just to be sure.

Coil packs were replaced by previous owner maybe around 30k miles on them.

Look at the state or my spark plugs I changed when I first got the car 10k miles on them.

I have changed a million things on the car since then. And I had 12 engine errors since then fixed...
20221204_151931.jpg
20221204_145044.jpg

Thanks for your reply. Here is a picture just to be sure.

Coil packs were replaced by previous owner maybe around 30k miles on them.

Look at the state or my spark plugs I changed when I first got the car 10k miles on them.

I have changed a million things on the car since then. And I had 12 engine errors since then fixed...
View attachment 102101View attachment 102102
Yes, outer scale is Bar, so all good. Worth a check that the coil packs are Audi/VW/Bosch etc, not cheapos.
But if no EML and no errors, just enjoy it.
Mac.

Back