Concert 2+ doubledin Exeo/A4/A6

Menno

A2OC Donor
After installing a Seat Adagio Radio (same as a Audi Concert II+) there was a problem with light emitting on the buttons and switch on/off by ignition.
Clearly there was a canbus problem, although the wiring was connected.

In my case there where multiple issues.
Original the car was delivered from new with full Dis and a RNS-D. The cluster was replaced by former owner(s) to small Dis, and later on someone ripped out the RNSD, and creatively messed up the wiring to install a Android double din...... I could live with the Android, but it was cut to size so ugly it had to go.
My canbus cables where not attached to the cluster, the grey full Dis socket/connector is not connected, the half Dis cluster doesn't have a connection for it.
IMG_20210522_145733.jpg

Long story short, if you have a problem with your lighting and ignition switching your radio, then there's canbus trouble.

If you have half Dis (not going into full Dis, believe it's orange/purple and orange/brown, not sure) you need to retrieve canbus signal from pin 22 orange/green and pin 23 orange/brown at the green connector.
Do not cut the wires, I managed to solder a cable to the existing terminals (fiddly, very...). Used a piece of aircraft datacable which was already twisted and shielded.
Connect the other end to the applicable terminals of your radio and presto; switched by ignition, let there be light, and it remembers it supposed to be in your car after battery disconnect..... As the Americans say; Bob's you uncle!

IMG_20210522_145757.jpgIMG_20210522_145818.jpg
And the proof it's working;

? Happy days!

Last edited:
Menno, good job mate!?

Very well done. Another chore to remove from the wishlist .
I come by soon to see it live?

I’ve never really played with these 3rd generation stereos, but others on the forum have mentioned battery drain, lack of illumination, lack of response to the ignition, etc, despite being correctly connected to the car’s CAN wiring.
So, what’s different in this case!? Menno, are you able to confirm the part number of the stereo that you have fitted, please?

Cheers,

Tom

I’ve never really played with these 3rd generation stereos, but others on the forum have mentioned battery drain, lack of illumination, lack of response to the ignition, etc, despite being correctly connected to the car’s CAN wiring.
So, what’s different in this case!? Menno, are you able to confirm the part number of the stereo that you have fitted, please?

Cheers,

Tom

Yes, I also saw a lot of "problems" if this 3rd generation radio was installed, as well on this forum as on this side of the water.
I was a little hold back to purchase one, but they are not over expensive, so I just gave it a go.

The partnumber I will give, but maybe you want to explain in simple terms how canbus is used in our little A2's, I can "see" a little bit of how it works, but am far from knowing how it exactly works.
I understand there are more canbus actif; for speed related, infotainment, comfort, etc.
Could it be that if a radio is connected to a "different" part of the canbus and cannot get the commands it's needing?
Screenshot_20210522_165943.jpg

Partnumber is 3R0 035 186D
Be aware it's a Seat item, if you buy one without the radiocode be prepared to pay more then you would with an Audi Concert one!
Some radio de-coding companies aren't offering or can't retrieve Seat radiocode, luckily some can.

IMG_20210522_164529.jpg

Thank you, Menno.

I wonder whether some of the aforementioned issues are due to people using 8P versions of the 3rd Generation stereos. The 8P is known for being a little unusual in its CAN implementation, so perhaps the use of these 3R variants is the solution!?

Some investigation required, I think. :)

Cheers,

Tom

Thank you, Menno.

I wonder whether some of the aforementioned issues are due to people using 8P versions of the 3rd Generation stereos. The 8P is known for being a little unusual in its CAN implementation, so perhaps the use of these 3R variants is the solution!?

Some investigation required, I think. :)

Cheers,

Tom
Hmmmm, you've made me very curious!
You know what; If I can find (read "for free or very cheap") Symphony 2+ doubledin from an A3 8P I will connect it up to see what's happening.

In my search for a solution I also ordered a canbus emulator/simulator/generator thingy (I'm afraid it's coming from the far east with a pigeon, although I ordered it on a Dutch website; can't trust anything anymore.).
With this it should be possible (I hope....) to get an 8P in working order too, at least I think it's fun and interesting to play around with it.

Bought an A3 8P Concert doubledin. It was very cheap and came without the radio code which was easily retrieved online at a shop specialized in retrieving them.

IMG_20210603_143515.jpgIMG_20210603_144148.jpg

Ofcourse I plugged it in as soon as the code was mailed......... But as @timmus already mentioned, off course, : no sigar!
The radio is in working order, even the illumination of the buttons is working if one switches on the lights, but power on/off by ignition is not present.

This makes me wonder what is so different to an 8P radio.
Clearly the canbus wiring is connected correctly, as the Seat Adagio is working properly in all aspects.
Is it the 8P is programmed to receive another CAN frame/signal to switch on and off by ignition?
It's a pity, because if it worked I was planning to look for a Symphony 2+ (3?) because of the 6disc player it has (old school here...).

I will give it another try if the canbus simulator (for VAG related vehicles) will arrive, although it has to produce the correct CAN signal.
Ordered weeks ago so shouldn't be long now.....

Afternoon Menno,

My knowledge of CAN messaging is very limited but I do know that the RNS-E in an A2 whilst coded for the A3 will not power on/off when the key is inserted/removed from the ignition. Soon as it’s coded for an A6 all is good as I’m sure you already know.

I guess the messages are transmitted differently between the A3 and A6. Is there an option to code the head unit for a different model (A4 or A6 of similar age to the A2) as I’m sure Ive seen this head unit in an A4 before.

If coding it for a different Audi marque isn’t possible and the emulator you’re waiting for also doesn’t work I guess you could try an Arduino. Although an Arduino is not a factory type item it will of course allow you to overcome this issue and can easily be placed out of sight.

Kind regards,

Tom

Yes, coding....... I must admit it slipped my mind it could be the culprit.
@DuncanA2 will stop by on Saturday with VCDS, if there's time to play with the settings, then we will.

Oh well, if it doesn't work it's alright too, the P8 radio was bought to play around with and for now I'm very happy with the "OEM" look the Seat Adagio is providing, including the performance, equal to an Audi Concert 2+.

Back