Concert 2

Bluesplit

Hi ya,

I’ve bought a concert 2 out of a 2003 1.6 fsi, code *8Z0035186A*, I’ve plugged it into my existing wiring that currently has an Audi A4 head unit fitted, doesn’t appear to be any chopped and changed wiring but I have no power to the stereo, noting comes on, changed the fuses as that was looking crusty but still nothing. Are these stereo’s interchangeable through models?

Please, please forgive me for asking, but have you turned it on? Press volume control knob (left hand one) and wait a couple of seconds. Clutching at straws but try with the ignition turned on. Part number checks out. Fairly sure no difference in wiring between A4 and A2, but no guarantee.

Not much help I know.

Andy

Yeah I did try that, might put it back in and try holding the ‘on’ button down and see if there is any difference. Wondering how much work & how good a finish with wet & dry to sand the A4 stereo down to fit the gap properly, it looks a much nicer stereo! Thanks for the reply, I will try it again

Hi,

A2 and A4 concert 2 head units have the same connections. The both have a single always on power feed, power on pin 7 and ground on pin 8 of the 8 way connector.

If your A4 unit works, there is no reason why the A2 unit should not. If you have checked the small fuse in the back of the headunit, the A2 unit you purchased may be defective in some way.

regards

Andrew

On A4 v A2 wiring. As you have both units you can compare the connector diagram stuck on both units for any differences; it might reveal something.

I know some members have reduced other wider unit sizes, with some success. Depends on how fussy you are and how much skill and care with the job.

If you say the A4 unit is nicer I am guessing it's worn buttons. I do not know the A4 unit but expect the front panel is essentially the same just the front button frame is wider. In which case you can swap swap the buttons between the units and sell the A4 unit on, if you can get the A2 unit to work. I am literally just writing a 'How To' at the moment that will be posted in a few days.

Andy

Edit. Just seen Andrew has confirmed compatibility

Thank you both for the replies, the fuse had blown in the A2 unit so I swapped it with the working A4 but still nothing. If there is a ‘how to’ then I will see if I can get a refund and a another A2 head unit and swap the buttons and volume knobs over

It would be interesting to know if A2 unit has now blown a known good fuse, if so refund time.

if you buy another A2 unit it might be as good as the A4 with no extra work!

Andy

I too confirm that a Mk1 TT head unit is a straight fit identical front panel and wiring. They sell a lot cheaper on eBay than an 8Z model numbered unit.
It is also worth noting that you can replace the front panel of an A4 head unit with one from an A2 unit if you have a dead A2 unit but a working A4 one, this saves you having to trim down to fit.

Geoff

Back