Concert display fading up and down?

Keithb

Hello A2ers :)

The OE Concert headunit in my A2 has started doing weird things. Firstly the DIS no longer recognises the radio information so it shows nothing about the music being played (new colour DIS). Secondly the the headunit display constantly fades up and down. It plays ok with no audio issues at all.

Any ideas?

Could it just be a lead on the back or a connection inside the unit? I don't have a spare so I'll have to purchase a replacement.

Hi Keith,

Do all the stereo buttons illuminate when your turn your sidelights on?
If you're playing music with the ignition on and then switch off the ignition and remove the key from the barrel, does the stereo switch off?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Keith,

Do all the stereo buttons illuminate when your turn your sidelights on?
If you're playing music with the ignition on and then switch off the ignition and remove the key from the barrel, does the stereo switch off?

Cheers,

Tom

Hey Tom,

Yep all the buttons illuminate when the sidelights are turned on.
And yep the stereo switches off when the key is removed from the ignition barrel.

Aside from the flickering/fading up-down display/lack of DIS info, the stereo functions as normal.

OK, thank you. Next question...

In the Colour DIS menu, you'll find a section called 'Design'. On this page, there's an option called 'audio data'. Is there a tick in this check box?

Cheers,

Tom

OK, thank you. Next question...

In the Colour DIS menu, you'll find a section called 'Design'. On this page, there's an option called 'audio data'. Is there a tick in this check box?

Cheers,

Tom
Yep Audio Data tick box ticked ☺️

OK, thanks. I think your Concert II unit is dying a slow death.

Whatever you do, don't bin it; I cannibalise failed Concert II units for parts. :)

Hi Keithb,

I have a spare faulty Concert II unit from an A3. The unit itself blows its fuse once power is connected. I suppose you could swap the front panel innards from it to your current unit to see if that cures your display fading issue. You are welcome to it free of charge if you can collect from Coventry. I also have a spare Chorus II that you can try plugging in to see if it's a connectivity issue.

Cheers for the info Tom, I had assumed it was on its way out :)

Also interested in the spares you have on offer ca2n :). Crazy busy this weekend but happy to pop over one day next week or next weekend?

There are effectively two problems here...

1) the display is going doolally
2) there Concert II doesn't appear to be broadcasting data down the CAN bus to the instrument cluster

Assuming these two problems are linked, replacing the display alone will not fix the broadcasting problem. A3 Concert II units probably have cross-compatible parts (such as the CD mechanism and the screen), but the motherboard is fundamentally different and will not operate happily in an A2.

If the issues are not linked, then the display from the A3 Concert II could well fix that problem. However, the broadcasting issue would have to be investigated as a separate problem.

My recommendation is to temporarily fit the A2 Chorus II unit. Of course, you'll need the 4-digit unlock code. Depending on the results of that fitment, we can make further deductions.

Cheers,

Tom

Are the faceplates removeable/interchangeable on these Concert Headunits? Someone has offered me a replacement but I would like to retain our original Concert face and buttons (it is pretty mint)

Are the faceplates removeable/interchangeable on these Concert Headunits? Someone has offered me a replacement but I would like to retain our original Concert face and buttons (it is pretty mint)

Yes, the circuit board behind the buttons, which incorporates the display, is replaceable. What worries me is that the display is not faulty but is simply doing as it's told by a faulty motherboard. What gives me the idea that the motherboard is faulty? ...the fact that it's seemingly not broadcasting audio data to the cluster. This same data bus is responsible for dimming the display, so it's entirely conceivable that the screen isn't at fault. As mentioned in my post above, we have two problems and we don't know whether they're independent or linked. Fitting the Chorus II tape deck or indeed another Concert II unit (even with a tatty fascia), will help to identify the root cause of the problem. Once that's been established, we can make one perfect Concert II unit from the components of two.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Yes, the circuit board behind the buttons, which incorporates the display, is replaceable. What worries me is that the display is not faulty but is simply doing as it's told by a faulty motherboard. What gives me the idea that the motherboard is faulty? ...the fact that it's seemingly not broadcasting audio data to the cluster. This same data bus is responsible for dimming the display, so it's entirely conceivable that the screen isnt at fault. As mentioned in my post above, we have two problems and we don't know whether they're independent or linked. Fitting the Chorus II tape deck or indeed another Concert II unit (even with a tatty fascia), will help to identify the root cause of the problem. Once that's been established, we can make one perfect Concert II unit from the components of two.

Cheers,

Tom

You Tom are all of the awesome :).
I shall purchase the mentioned headunit and go from there :)

You Tom are all of the awesome :).
I shall purchase the mentioned headunit and go from there :)

I love this expression and am most complimented. :)

Unfortunately, unless I can get my hands on the thing, playing 'parts darts' and simply replacing the unit is the best diagnostic method available to you. That said, there's actually a possibility that I could swing via yours as part of an upcoming journey I need to make... though that may not happen for 6 weeks.

Cheers,

Tom

I presume there's no sign of any other internal illuminations randomly changing their brightness? If you alter the brightness control wheel next to the headlight switch, does everything do what it's supposed to?
  • Do the climate control buttons brighten and dim as you'd expect?
  • What about the ASR button?
  • What about the stereo buttons? I know the stereo display is acting strangely, but do the stereo buttons around the display react as you'd expect?
Could you please look at each of the above and let me know the results, please.

Cheers,

Tom

I presume there's no sign of any other internal illuminations randomly changing their brightness? If you alter the brightness control wheel next to the headlight switch, does everything do what it's supposed to?
  • Do the climate control buttons brighten and dim as you'd expect?
  • What about the ASR button?
  • What about the stereo buttons? I know the stereo display is acting strangely, but do the stereo buttons around the display react as you'd expect?
Could you please look at each of the above and let me know the results, please.

Cheers,

Tom

Ok I finally drove the car at night and witnessed the following;

- The dash illuminated buttons fade up and down correctly
- The stereo does not, it stutters and has a delayed fade up and down. It doesn't really fade at all and merely steps up and down to match what the rest of the buttons are doing
- The stereo buttons flicker on and off even when the stereo is off
Cheers,

K.

sounding more like the concert II main board than the concerts actual display to me, sure Tom will confirm

Hi Keith, I've got 2 fully working Concert IIs at mine at the moment, if you wanted to pop over sometime just to check...

Back