Coolant drip top-rear engine 1.4 Petrol

carbore

Hi.

My 1.4 petrol spoilt my day by “starting” to drip coolant. I say starting because during the MOT the tester pointed out a “pink line” at the top rear of the engine BUT.

Im only a few weeks into this as a project car, i have changed the cambelt, waterpump and aux belt and done an oil service. The car has been in the barn for a couple of weeks on axle stands and it only seems to have started today. I did fully top up the coolant after the water pump change but then fully ran the car before the oil service as i did an engine flush, that was Monday (its now sunday). Not one drip seen then, but now it was a steady drip until about halfway down the lower half of the header tank.

Oddness aside it looks an sod to find and to get to, any ideas what/where it might be and links to any advice.

Hi there carbore ... my guess would be the junction between the pipe that links the water pump to the thermostat housing (the death pipe!!) ... its a push fit and sealed with a rubber 'O' ring and held in place with a 'U' clip ... it's a DIY job to replace but not the easiest ...
Just a an edit, you might have disturbed the seal mentioned above when you changed the water pump.

HI, thanks Id seen that post but having read it again (for the fourth time) Im now fairly sure thats the thing we saw at the MOT place as I remember the flatted off pipe. Do you know if access is from underneeth or top. I think there are links re pulling off some gear links for access.

HI, thanks Id seen that post but having read it again (for the fourth time) Im now fairly sure thats the thing we saw at the MOT place as I remember the flatted off pipe. Do you know if access is from underneeth or top. I think there are links re pulling off some gear links for access.

Yes you can do it all from the top ... the 'death pipe' is basically clamped between the water pump and the thermostat housing ... you have to take off the thermostat housing, one end of the EGR pipe and the gear cables to gain access to the 'O' ring. I found it easier to leave the 'death pipe' connected to the housing and pull away from the water pump, it's just a push fit with another rubber 'O' ring into the water pump ... it's not that bad a job if the thermostat housing bolts come out easily.

Hi, looks like this needs doing properly As I lost a tank full of coolant in just over a week with very little driving (radweld wasn't enough)

Checking all the bits, this part on ebay looks to be the heart of it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A2-...-PLASTIC-COOLANT-WATER-HOSE-PIPE/323843696283

I also getting the c clip, and a replacement thermostat. Anything else o-ring, clip wise etc (dont fancy the entire thermostat housing)

Any other advice appreciated, im looking to get parts/tools in so I can do it over Christmas holls (second car fortunately)

Hi, looks like this needs doing properly As I lost a tank full of coolant in just over a week with very little driving (radweld wasn't enough)

Checking all the bits, this part on ebay looks to be the heart of it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A2-...-PLASTIC-COOLANT-WATER-HOSE-PIPE/323843696283

I also getting the c clip, and a replacement thermostat. Anything else o-ring, clip wise etc (dont fancy the entire thermostat housing)

Any other advice appreciated, im looking to get parts/tools in so I can do it over Christmas holls (second car fortunately)

Hi carbore ... if you can remove the thermostat housing without rounding of any of the bolts it is pretty much an 'easy' job to replace the pipe, I ordered three new bolts just in case as one of mine rounded off. You may also struggle to remove the bolts from the thermostat cover, again I managed to shear one but had bought a new housing anyway. Good idea to replace the 'O' ring between the housing and engine block and replace the gasket on the EGR pipe, you can get away with just pulling this pipe out of the way from the end nearest the bulk head (opposite end to the EGR valve!)
For me the easiest way to replace the 'death pipe' was to connect it to the housing when out of the car and slot back in with the C clip in place .... I tried installing the housing with the pipe in place behind the engine and failed.
You will need a bottle of G13 coolant as well and a pair of clamp pliers will save an enormous amount of time when removing the hoses.
Best of luck, it's a very satisfying DIY job ... Tom

Out of curiosity, do you know which type of thermostat you have ... two types available, one is the traditional metal, the other is a plastic cylinder and they aren't interchangeable but you will see when you take the cover off.

Last edited:
HI, @Tomscar

For the hose clamp plies is it this kind https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Wate...060309?hash=item56ef01cdd5:g:dZsAAOSwv7xfyPCP

or the plain kind that provide a temp seal https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-3...200075&hash=item2134164260:g:U6UAAOSwdG9aIBzn

Is the EGR gasket part no 3 that mates to part number 13 on the picky in this thread https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/egr-valve-and-air-leak.42533/

Also, Im being dim and cant find a housign to block o-ring :-( or housing bolts

Any hints appreciated. Thanks!

HI, @Tomscar

For the hose clamp plies is it this kind https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Wate...060309?hash=item56ef01cdd5:g:dZsAAOSwv7xfyPCP

or the plain kind that provide a temp seal https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-3...200075&hash=item2134164260:g:U6UAAOSwdG9aIBzn

Is the EGR gasket part no 3 that mates to part number 13 on the picky in this thread https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/egr-valve-and-air-leak.42533/

I know this was addressed to Tomscar, sorry if I am butting in.

Are you aware of 7zap? - a parts data base, used widely on here, if not bookmark the below. Find the part you want and google the part number. (If nothing comes up on a subpage in 7zap, scroll up!)

Andy

HI, @Tomscar

Sorry for the delay ... as answered below, yes ... the first link, that's the pliers and yes its the small diamond shaped metal gasket ... good luck with the project, look forward to your report ???

Thanks both, parts and pliers ordered so will probably start next weekend. Im lucky to have a nice dry barn to work in and not need to use the car to get to work in the morning;

Heres an unrelated picky from my Elise in 2004 when I didn't have somewhere to work and did need to get to work in the morning. I was swapping the clutch hose for a braided one as they used to fail in hot weather and you would get a crunchy gear change.

DCAM0105.jpg

Attachments

• DCAM0105.jpg
    DCAM0105.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 155
Thanks both, parts and pliers ordered so will probably start next weekend. Im lucky to have a nice dry barn to work in and not need to use the car to get to work in the morning;

Heres an unrelated picky from my Elise in 2004 when I didn't have somewhere to work and did need to get to work in the morning. I was swapping the clutch hose for a braided one as they used to fail in hot weather and you would get a crunchy gear change.

DCAM0105.jpg
Beautiful machine ... just watched Ed China doing an 02 plated one up earlier on Wheeler Dealers ???

Help, moral support needed.

Im halfway through this, at the point where I have the thermostat housing and all pipes other than the back pipe removed but the bak pipe seems to be holding the housing in position (roughly) I get a reasonable amount of movement on it but dont want to pull it any harder as it feels like its held somewhere.

I can see a clip on the pipe about halfway down on some of the parts phots, is that possibly holding on to something?

Sould I venture under the car and have a look or is that pointless?

Ideas, advice, photos, links, offers of a better life welcome. (iv done a fair bit of reading etc more cant hurt)

Im halfway through this, at the point where I have the thermostat housing and all pipes other than the back pipe removed but the bak pipe seems to be holding the housing in position (roughly) I get a reasonable amount of movement on it but dont want to pull it any harder as it feels like its held somewhere.

I can see a clip on the pipe about halfway down on some of the parts phots, is that possibly holding on to something?

Ideas, advice, photos, links, offers of a better life welcome. (iv done a fair bit of reading etc more cant hurt)

... the pipe is just a push fit into the water pump but from memory there maybe a wire clipped to the side of it.
... it's coming back to me, there is a cable attached to it and easily accessed from underneath.

Thanks @Tomscar ill have another potter tomorrow and hopefully get the stuff out. Sadly the top pipe cracked the end off the housing so I need a new housing. Also I ordered the parts quite a while ago from a new supplier but they didn't get out of Germany and get returned. Fortunately Its not my only car as its looking like it wont be on the road until new year (not that I have anywhere to drive it!)

Thanks @Tomscar ill have another potter tomorrow and hopefully get the stuff out. Sadly the top pipe cracked the end off the housing so I need a new housing. Also I ordered the parts quite a while ago from a new supplier but they didn't get out of Germany and get returned. Fortunately Its not my only car as its looking like it wont be on the road until new year (not that I have anywhere to drive it!)

This probably won't help you now but I bought a Topran branded housing and it looks identical to the original ... however, it did come with the wrong 83 degree thermostat installed but I fitted a genuine 87degree plastic one and a cover to suit (about £36 from a Skoda dealership) ... the Topran housing accepts both types, just the cover that is different.

You say you have removed the thermostat housing and then say the pipe is holding the housing in place, a contradiction???? The same pipe is used on my FSI and assuming the same for your 1.4 there is a C clip that fixes the pipe with the housing, have you removed it? - the housing will then be free.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think the photo is confusing as the clip goes at the other end.

Andy

Hi Carbore ... if you look at the first picture in Andrew's post above, there's a little clip sticking out around half way down ... there is a cable held in place by it and you will need to un-attach to remove the pipe ... I think the 'instruction' manual advices removal and installation of the pipe whilst still connected to the housing, I couldn't get the 'c' clip back in with the pipe connected to the water pump end first ... just my experience on the 1.4 petrol.

Coolant Pipe.jpg

Last edited:
Evening @Tomscar,

In reply to your earlier post I was just trying to get the state of play straight in my mind. Fully appreciate what you said about keeping the C clip in place both for removal (a better 'handle') and refitting ( otherwise near impossible to insert C clip).

Interesting what you said about the cable support (ringed above). It does not seem to be used on the FSI, at least on mine, and I just assumed it was that for some other engine that uses this pipe, you have me worried now that it should be used on my FSI. Maybe some previous mechanic with my car forgot to employ it or forgot about it until it was too late and ignored it! I assume you refer to the knock sensor cable, always thought it looked a bit floppy and near the block! Any other FSI owners care to comment?

Andy

Back