Coolant level sensor replacement

Pinkythelabrat

A2OC Donor
Good afternoon,

I’m pretty sure my coolant level sensor is goosed. It hasn’t a clue when my car is low on coolant - stays fat and happy

It may be me but it seems like the sensor is moulded into the expansion tank. Is the only way to service it to replace the whole tank?

I was hoping to maybe clean the internal pins or similar but that also seems impossible.

Anyone got a success story they care to share?

Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you unplug the connector, does it then register that something has changed? I know that when the connector was not actually attached on my project car it was putting a low coolant signal in red up on the dashboard (among the various steering warnings etc. and oil level sensor faults at the time) - the first thing I did was reconnect this and that particular error never came back. I was just wondering if it is the sensor or upstream of there that is the problem in your case.

I’ll try the unplugging. That’s a great idea.

It’ll save me time replacing in case that’s not the problem.

I know if the coolant goes low anyway - the engine temp goes over 90 a little bit. It has done the twice the coolant completely disappeared. How many cars could drive with almost no coolant in them and still stay pretty cool for a few miles at least?

Replace the expansion tank complete with new sensor. Not too expensive provided you get one in this brave new world we exist in.... May even be the reason you previously lost coolant ( or the cap in the tank ).

I bought one from Crewe Audi a couple of months ago. It was around £40 posted and the coolant level warning light no longer flashes up on the DIS when first starting.

Last edited:
I think half the problem with the level sensor is it is in line with the return flow and tends to sludge up first. You can remove the expansion tank to clean it, but replacement is quicker. The seals around the sensor can leak as does the cap after miles of use. So by changing the tank you are doing preventative maintenance.

I do have a spare expansion tank with sensor already (are all our sheds equally full of A2 bits?)

The two previous coolant losses - one was a leaking temp sensor seal and the other was a back to front installation of a thermostat by me!

Back