Cracked 58 mpg this week from my petrol!

Tai

Well my calculations come up as 58.63406 miles per gallon, but hey! :)

To acheive this however I've resorted to driving like my grandmother: Doing no more than 60mph on the M20. My 140 mile return commute is 95% motorway and dual carriageway, but I've streamlined the 5% traffic and now stick to main rotes avoiding the humps.

Gonna try Tesco 99 next! See if I can break 60!

Best of luck grandma! The Tesco 99 stuff defenitly gives more miles per tank but I'm still trying to work out if it's cost effective.

Cheers,

VonB

Yeah that's what I was wondering. How much more MPG did you manage on it? Cost difference per litre?

Give me a chance to run this tank of 99 down, then I'll run a tank of regular shell through to compare it to, and work out if it's worth it or not. Of course it all depaends on the type of commute and other journey's your doing but my current commute is very mpg friendly.

Kepp an eye on this thread (hit the subscribe button) and I'll make sure I keep it updated with my findings:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16080

Cheers,

Stuart 'VonB'

Forgot to mention I've resorted to coasting down some of the M20's bigger hills too. So I guess I'm cheating a bit! ;)

Hypermiling is the technical term for it :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiling

I actually got only 51mpg from my last tank of DERV, which was highly exceptionally poor (although my previous tank was 67mpg, also exceptionally good!)

So I'm a hypermiler! Cool :cool: My plea to the soon to be wife, when convincing her that removing almost £3k out of the wedding budget for an A2 was a GOOD idea, was that it would save us loads of money and pay for itself by the time our big day arrives. Already shaved a 3rd off insurance. Loads off tax, but now it's all about the fuel!

I'll probably get out and start pushing soon! :D

Good negotiating skills there on reducing the wedding budget - most times it goes the other way!

hmm - a bit off topic - but how heavy would you say the frame is on its own with nothing inside - just the alu frame?

Props for the MPG! That's amazing for a petrol, I can't manage close to that in my diesel.

I've been driving very carefully lately trying every technique to maximise MPG, but the best I've managed is 56MPG from my 1.4TDI, and that was with alot of motorway driving, haven't managed to match that since despite my efforts.

Really must take my A2 to Skipton and see if there's anything he can spot.

Fantastic MPG there, welcome to the hypermiler club! i can squeeze 62MPG out of my diesel if i am on country roads doing 50ish but if i am on a motorway i struggle to get over 60 even if i am doing 60mph. Well done on your economy and i hope it carries on

Chris

Oh the shame!

Reading the replies, and thought I'd rethink my calculation process and I think my MPG claim may be flawed! I'm too embarrased to explain, but I think it may be closer 51 than 58! :D:D

I'll try again on my next fill, and see what I get...(walks away from the computer, hanging his head in shame)

mpg error

Even 51 is brill for a petrol, my best ever was 47.3 on a very laidback trip from devon to sussex and back. 60 on main roads and 30-50 on countries. Plus I freewheel on the slightest of downhill gradients. (I have read that it uses less if you leave it in gear, but my experience says otherwise) Have tried brim to brim in and out of gear, out wins everytime to the annoyance of my passenger who gets really p'd off. Mine is using more since I upped to Kumho 195's even allowing for the 1.7% rolling increase. Granny to the rescue methinks. Regards and best of luck with recalulating. PS I have taken to carrying a long artist brush to push the filler flap open while I hold the pressure release button open with the filler nozzle. I get an extra 25 miles in the tank. Just have to ignore the queue forming behind you. Colin

Back