Damaged rear head set locator

A2 D2

Whilst taking advantage of the laughably generous rear loading area to transport twelve cases of 12x750ml glass bottles(!), I was reminded that the plastic bracket which holds the rear headrest has been snapped at some point.

Has anyone got a part number for this, or perhaps a spare? How easy is it to replace? Perhaps I should just try some super glue to begin with, I did have an issue with a broken headrest on a 645Ci which was satisfyingly resolved with careful application of super glue... thoughts welcome.

Attachments

• 8971CD53-84AD-47C8-B7AE-1041BEDE60D9.jpeg
    8971CD53-84AD-47C8-B7AE-1041BEDE60D9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 225
  • 55040DFD-773E-4FAA-ABE3-21A1451E23E3.jpeg
    55040DFD-773E-4FAA-ABE3-21A1451E23E3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 236
  • 6B12DE04-8CF9-451F-B504-2CCE6565810C.jpeg
    6B12DE04-8CF9-451F-B504-2CCE6565810C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 235
I can't help with the part number or the replacement, but I can tell you and anyone who does have the spare how to get it out.

If you're lucky you can release a headrest tube with a slightly hooked rod down the inside. In a certain place there is a hole in a flared-out section of the tube. With the hook in the hole you lever this section inwards to allow the tube to come through the top of the seat frame that the flared section clips it to. This might well be the point of failure of your broken tube. I have seen a diagram somewhere on this site explaining the above method, but I won't be able to search for it just now.

If you're unlucky you have to get the backrest cover off as far as you can (explained in other threads also), then reach right up under the cover to the hidden top of the metal frame and squeeze the tube at the right place to let it through the frame.

The two headrest tubes are different, one has a square lower end the other has a round one, so whoever has a scrap seat to provide your replacement will need to know which it is. Once you have it, it will only fit in one alignment, just push it into place.

I struggle to pull them out even when I am squeezing the release slider!, must have taken gorilla like strength to do that.

Part number here, depends on colour.

[Is this the longest part list on 7zap!!!]

Lot of work to extract the receiving tube from the seat and remove top bit (in pictures) from the tubes to make good and refit. In all honesty if the headrests will go back in the seat back and look okay do so and never touch them again. Probably easier to collect a pair of free/cheap rear seats that regularly come up on here, put an ad in Wanted, but matching cloth may be a problem.

Andy

Last edited:
Thanks for your swift responses @Andrew and @Proghound

I presume that my suggestion of super glue hasn't gained traction with you both?

Additionally, it occurs to me that I don't have the spec of our A2... I presume that it is Soul Black.

Thanks for your swift responses @Andrew and @Proghound

I presume that my suggestion of super glue hasn't gained traction with you both?

Additionally, it occurs to me that I don't have the spec of our A2... I presume that it is Soul Black.
I am not averse to using superglue, I would include it in my words 'make good'. I am not clear what has broken from your pictures, but if you can see the surfaces that need gluing, by all means do so if it will produce a satisfactory result, probably out of sight anyway but I would never try to extract the headrests again.

Andy

This is the break. I tried superglue, unsuccessfully on the first attempt.

Attachments

• 7C308280-7222-4398-B172-AFF077D68D72.jpeg
    7C308280-7222-4398-B172-AFF077D68D72.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
  • 1608107C-6ECD-46B4-9D65-574D2D646991.jpeg
    1608107C-6ECD-46B4-9D65-574D2D646991.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 214
I am afraid I am not connecting with the extra pictures, still not clear, probably would be plainly obvious If it was in front of me. I stripped a seat a couple of years ago and the detail of your broken part is fuzzy in my memory. Sorry I can not be of further help.

Andy

@A2 D2 I have a pair of rear seats in black cloth, good condition, looking for a good home. If any use you're welcome to them foc

Hello @Jellybean , that is very kind indeed. For now, I shall attempt to address this issue myself as I have a strange determination to maintain the car's originality.

Back