Damp front footwell carpet

LordTJC

I vacuumed the carpets in my 2001 TDI the other day and noticed that the front carpets were slightly damp under the floormats. The rear carpet was dry.

I've searched and seen suggestions to pull up the carpet and check underneath. How do I get the carpet out? Do I just pull it out from the seat end?

I've also seen loss of coolant mentioned. My coolant level has gone down but don't know if this is a recent thing or just gradual over time. I will top up and report back.

Thanks,
Tim

the only way I could see a link between coolant lose and damp front carpets would be a failed heater matrix/pipework

If you get you finger wet with whatever is on the front carpets then taste it, if its sweet tasting then that is anti freeze and would indicate a failed heater matrix

Another possible cause of wet front carpets is a blocked drain from the aircon, in which case the water is pure and should be tasteless
Also a leaking windscreen as been known to cause wet carpets

The front carpets just pull up, get your fingers under the carpet at the hump where the seats mount
To get the rear carpets up you need to remove the front seats and centre tunnel

Paul

i have the same problem, reading Wikipedia Audi re-designed windscreen scuttle after 2002, so my guess is this is where the issue needs solving
matt

As @John flower stated check the 2 under bonnet drains in the bonnet have their nozzles on and are not blocked with rotting leaves etc. Once you are happy they are good. Put a bin liner on the passenger footwell and remove the pollen filter, if it is wet then water has been coming down through the fresh air inlet and has leaked through the pollen filter. Check the scuttle drains are OK and the seal around the engine bay is intact and does touch the bonnet when closed. If the filter was wet get a new pollen filter and before you fit it check the condition of the heater blower and clean it and dry it. Check it spins freely if not the bearings are starting to seize up and need relubricating. Another area to check is the bottom of the door cards as the rain water can get between the seal and glass and may come down the card making it wet over the sill onto the carpet. The drains in the bottom of the door are lower than the sill so not usually a problem. Other options could be door seals or even a window left open - obvious I know but at this damp time of year I crack open a window for the last 10 minutes of the drive to help stop condensation in the car, so it is possible a window was forgotten about. Lastly are you talking both footwells or just the passenger side? Do you have rubber mats? Check under the front carpets in the under floor areas as you do not want water in them.

the only way I could see a link between coolant lose and damp front carpets would be a failed heater matrix/pipework

If you get you finger wet with whatever is on the front carpets then taste it, if its sweet tasting then that is anti freeze and would indicate a failed heater matrix

Another possible cause of wet front carpets is a blocked drain from the aircon, in which case the water is pure and should be tasteless
Also a leaking windscreen as been known to cause wet carpets

The front carpets just pull up, get your fingers under the carpet at the hump where the seats mount
To get the rear carpets up you need to remove the front seats and centre tunnel

Paul

I had a leak from where the rubber pipe joins the matrix and it did get the passenger foot well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in my case i think this could be the incorrectly replaced windscreen unfortunately - the gasket that goes around it is not aligned 100%
and water seeps in between aluminium profiles onto wire harness and into the passenger footwell..
even the foam lining of firewall is dripping wet :(
Matt

hi Silverpig, would you share a photo of your fix, pretty please? ta
i need to get mine resolved, it's getting ridiculous.
Matt B

I've just taken down pillar trim part and sadly my suspicion is confirmed - lots of black silicone underneath, some cowboy repair
need to look at fitting new windscreen hey ho, that's the way to go

Back