Dead alternator but full battery how far. Fsi

Tomsk

All,
How far do you think I could drive an 1.6 fsi. With a dead alternator but has a new battery. I need to drive about 40 miles. Any ideas.

No, don't do it, you'll likely get about a mile or so if you're lucky. The power steering pump alone will drain it in no time.

Sarge

Yes shouldn't be too hard, sometimes the hardest part of the process is the fitting of the unit to the mounting brackets oddly enough. Disconnect Battery!, Remove belt, remove cables/wiring, remove unit and replace in reverse.
Sent me your email and I'll try to send you full instructions.

What has happened to it? has the regulator gone?

I'm up In Manchester tomorrow from Devon. I have an alternator for an FSI. Let me know if it's any use to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All,
How far do you think I could drive an 1.6 fsi. With a dead alternator but has a new battery. I need to drive about 40 miles. Any ideas.

A friend of mine drove to work in his FSI after his alternator had broken. He used two batteries connected together and charged them back up when he got there. It was only 25 miles though. You're probably going to need to get it fixed to do 40.

regards

Andrew

yes the grey one. I'm waiting for a reply from the seller, do you think it's sitting a little high on them wheels ?. thanks for your offer about the alternator but will see what he says and what deal we can come too.

yes the grey one. I'm waiting for a reply from the seller, do you think it's sitting a little high on them wheels ?. thanks for your offer about the alternator but will see what he says and what deal we can come too.
Is this FSi 03 plate? NJ03DRV
If so this was my A2 for 13 years from 30k to 142K miles- if it looks as if it sits high it’s on Munro Reflex shocks and springs replaced around 100K miles. Originally it has Sports suspension which I think was 10mm lower from factory- it rides well.
P

If the battery runs flat it’ll wreck it. Lead acid batteries don’t do well when run flat, they always need a charge. Something to do with a layer of corrosion forming on the internal surfaces under certain chemical conditions when it’s flat. Not only will you need a new alternator, but you’d be forking out for a new battery too.

If the battery runs flat it’ll wreck it. Lead acid batteries don’t do well when run flat, they always need a charge. Something to do with a layer of corrosion forming on the internal surfaces under certain chemical conditions when it’s flat. Not only will you need a new alternator, but you’d be forking out for a new battery too.

Only deep cycle batteries can manage this and even then, less than mostly charged is bad news. Your starter battery is even more delicate.

The chemical change of the electrolyte from sulfuric acid to water corresponds with a change in the lead plates to absorb the sulfur. Excessive sulfation leads to an irreversible (or very hard to reverse) creation of a lead/sulfur complex. Keep going and you will irreversibly fur up the plates and destroy their form - battery gubbed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to renew this post but it gave me an insight in what could be wrong on my FSI project. I got it few months ago but it would have failed the MOT for the Power Steering not working. After a week I had to charge the battery to move the car. Again today, after more than a month without charging/running, the battery is completely flat. I think the battery is dead as a Dodo...:mad:

You can stress test a battery with a garage gizmo. Basically I think it’s a high draw item (heating element) which sees how the battery slumps on hard use. Halfords probably have them (in order to flog you a new battery!) as will reputable garages I’m sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back