Dead battery.. Need urgent help, please!

larax

A2OC Donor
Urgent help needed.

Unfortunately I had a flat battery tonight.

I was about leave work but car wouldn't start..

So upset at this moment but fortunately I found a good Samaritan who helped me jump start the car.

Have no idea is this because the cold weather or it's time for a new battery??

I need the car to get to work and get home.

I think I still have the original battery:
15754001774993530417568717149481.jpg

Any suggestions? Should I buy a new battery early in the morning?

Thanks for the help!

Before condemning the battery you really need to check a few things such as is the battery being charged, are the engine earth points good, is the starter OK...……...as a jump start got the car going I would possibly rule out the starter and earthing points but still bear them in mind.
As a start get a garage or motor factor to test the battery, a simple test with a modern tester should show up any faults with it.
Do you do many short journeys this could mean the battery isn't getting enough charge put back into it to maintain its fully charged state.
In short a few things can cause a flat battery...…..

Urgent help needed.

Unfortunately I had a flat battery tonight.

I was about leave work but car wouldn't start..

So upset at this moment but fortunately I found a good Samaritan who helped me jump start the car.

Have no idea is this because the cold weather or it's time for a new battery??

I need the car to get to work and get home.

I think I still have the original battery:
View attachment 59394

Any suggestions? Should I buy a new battery early in the morning?

Thanks for the help!
As the low temperatures have arrived you loose around 30% of battery capacity so a battery that is ok when air temps are 10c will really struggle at 0c
It’s common for our vehicles to last 15-17 years believe it or not mine was 16 years old when I changed it.
There will be a date stamp on the negative terminal I think, eg: (06/03)
The electronics need 12.4 volts or they play up, Tayna batteries of good value varta batteries.
Hth
Keith.

If you want a recommendation for a new battery if that's how it goes Varta F19 is considered the nearest available to the original, but I note many members fit Varta F18.

Tayna have a good reputation and next day delivery.

If possible get your battery on charge it should be good for a few days with a decent charge.

I notice your battery terminal cover is wrong!

Andy

Last edited:
That battery is not only very old, but also lower capacity than is optimal for your car.at 70 Ah capacity. Fortunately the latest Varta E44 now offers 77 Ah, or you can step up to a heavier but higher capacity F19 at 85 Ah. Varta recommend the E44 for all A2s now.

Doesn't apply to the OP, but those with the genuine spare wheel bracket need to sense check the height of any replacements to ensure they fit. I believe the original and the Varta F18 are 175mm tall.

Before condemning the battery you really need to check a few things such as is the battery being charged, are the engine earth points good, is the starter OK...……...as a jump start got the car going I would possibly rule out the starter and earthing points but still bear them in mind.
As a start get a garage or motor factor to test the battery, a simple test with a modern tester should show up any faults with it.
Do you do many short journeys this could mean the battery isn't getting enough charge put back into it to maintain its fully charged state.
In short a few things can cause a flat battery...…..
I usually do 6-6miles to work and to home occasionally 50+miles once in a while.
Unfortunately I don't think if I going to have any spare time on weekdays to go to a service so I guessing my bes shot would be a new battery.

If you want a recommendation for a new battery if that's how it goes Varta F19 is considered the nearest available to the original, but I note many members fit Varta F18.

Tayna have a good reputation and next day delivery.

If possible get your battery on charge it should be good for a few days with a decent charge.

I notice your battery terminal cover is wrong!

Andy
Thank you I would go with the best or most common ones what others (here) using in their A2.
I just spent over £1500 for the new parts on the car as I want to keep it on the road for the next 5-10.
New battery should be the best option.

The battery terminal cover had to be removed because I had to jump started but I just put it back to it's right place, thanks for mentioning!

I usually do 6-6miles to work and to home occasionally 50+miles once in a while.
Unfortunately I don't think if I going to have any spare time on weekdays to go to a service so I guessing my bes shot would be a new battery.
Best bet for peace of mind & that warm glow when you turn the key & it jumps into life

Best bet for peace of mind & that warm glow when you turn the key & it jumps into life
On top of that after 3-4 times trying to put some life into the car at home I just noticed my driver side headlight bulb gone as well..
Wondering if it's because of the battery or just a coincidence.

Silly question but since I never done this would it be an easy fix? Just plug and go I assume?

Silly question but since I never done this would it be an easy fix? Just plug and go I assume?
Battery is ok but foam section has to come out first if I recollect,
If it’s the headlamp it’s best to undo the 2 torq screws & remove/ move forward to give access as it’s almost impossible without unless you have small hands & are double jointed.

That battery is not only very old, but also lower capacity than is optimal for your car.at 70 Ah capacity. Fortunately the latest Varta E44 now offers 77 Ah, or you can step up to a heavier but higher capacity F19 at 85 Ah. Varta recommend the E44 for all A2s now.

Which one do you use If you don't mind I'm asking.
Or which one should I buy?

Some information on how to remove the battery is here. Be warned the so called battery retainer panel, the panel you pull pull up to unclamp the battery can be reluctant to slide smoothly.

Andy

Which one do you use If you don't mind I'm asking.
Or which one should I buy?

I switched to the E44 ahead of any failure of my original 80 Ah battery (after 17 years, so it had done well regardless). Although the original battery was still performing more than adequately, the car definitely runs better with the new battery.

Doesn't apply to the OP, but those with the genuine spare wheel bracket need to sense check the height of any replacements to ensure they fit. I believe the original and the Varta F18 are 175mm tall.
Hi Darren,

My original Varta battery has long gone but I was trusting Spike with regard to battery height here, and the picture does look the same height as my Varta F19, but it may a trick of photography.

Good to be cautious though, let's try and find out. @larax out of interest can you measure the height of the battery when you remove it and the length and width, thanks

Andy

My original Varta battery has long gone but I was trusting Spike with regard to battery height here, and the picture does look the same height as my Varta F19, but it may a trick of photography.

Good to be cautious though, let's try and find out. @larax out of interest can you measure the height of the battery when you remove it and the length and width, thanks

Most original Varta A2 batteries (other apparently than those fitted with the factory spare wheel) are definitely 190 mm tall, and 175mm wide. The length of the battery varies with the capacity.

Last edited:
Hi Darren,

Andy
Yes will do but unfortunately battery arrives next week if order it today.

Back