Detailing my A2

the grim reeper

A2OC Donor
Well just wanted to post some pics of my efferts over the weekend before the weather stopped play:mad:.
Makes a change to do mine as i'm normally doing other peoples cars so here's some there's more on my profile album

Cheers Phil

Absolutely first class finish there Phil - mind you, I'd expect nothing less for a man with your polishing abilities.

I'm just waiting on a window in the weather this side of the pennines now to get Tank up to scratch and to get the scratches out!

Two new Nokian tyres on their way too - couldn't resist the price of the Ebay pair - £65 delivered! Even if it does mean going back to 205/40 tyres.

Cheers

Mike

Here's what i did

1. shampoo and clay Malco ultraviolet (shampoo) 3M fine clay
I use the clay as i'm washing, using the shampoo as the clay aid
2. Machine polish, with lambs wool head and Presta ultra cutting creame light, we use to use this at work till they struck up a deal with someone else not mentioning names as they are not as good
3. Foam finish, using a rough cut foam head this is only for taking the polish off applied by hand, this seals the paint (no longer available made by Automagic, i think they went bust USA)
4. As the weather's turning i used Meguiars spray wax(while thats drying went to step 5)
5. Trim and Tyres Meguiars Tech protection (run out), so used wonder wheels on the tyres
6. RainX on the glass (while thats drying)
7. remove resedue of the spray wax and then buff windows just as it starts raining:eek::mad:

But as you can see i didn't come out to bad, will do it again in the summer ;)

Cheers Phil

PS No i didn't go through that field on the last photo:eek: it does look like i have though didn't notice till i got on the big screen

Last edited:
I'm just waiting on a window in the weather this side of the pennines now to get Tank up to scratch and to get the scratches out!

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike
Well i should have taken some photos of the scratches i got out of a car today but by the time i realised it was to late:mad:, some Chav had used to try and make a hole in the fence at work to get some other cars out:eek:, didn't get away with it but left this car with some major scratches (WW1 springs to mind lol) well me and a work mate took 1hr :eek: thats 2 of us to get them out, saved panel no paint need :cool:
But as i had said to you before if we was using foam would not have been able to get them out

Cheers Phil

Looks great Phil...great work

I used auto glym's liquid wax on my A2 about a week a go, I believe that only lasts 2 to 3 weeks.

Is meguiar's any better?

Its hard to say as mine is silver it will look like i've waxed it everytime i wash it but then that could also be down to the shampoo as it has teflon in it, i use the spray wax as its easy and quick with very little mess afterwards

Cheers Phil

Looks great - I'd never even thought of claying whilst the shampoo/wash is still going - that's a good idea.
Did you use wonder wheels on the black sills/wheel arches as well?

I'll be doing a decent assault on mine in a few weeks time - don't have machine polishing equipement but will be using my tried and tested combination of Wash, Clay, Autoglym Super Resin, followed by Autoglym Perfectionist Gloss.

Looks great - I'd never even thought of claying whilst the shampoo/wash is still going - that's a good idea.
Did you use wonder wheels on the black sills/wheel arches as well?

I'll be doing a decent assault on mine in a few weeks time - don't have machine polishing equipement but will be using my tried and tested combination of Wash, Clay, Autoglym Super Resin, followed by Autoglym Perfectionist Gloss.

Hi Dan, wash,clay,AG+AG should be fine. I had never got round to giving mine the full monty before so it got it last weekend wont see the machine for the rest of this year.
No only used wonder wheels on the tyres run out of Meguiars doing the sills etc....
I've alwaysed used the clay when shampooing, spunge in one hand clay in the other you no like Daniel son lol:rolleyes:

Cheers Phil

PS Had thought about the drums was only thinking of silver or black though, if discs(on the rear) then probably done red

Well, my little package arrived today: Bilt Hamber Clay, Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze, Meguiars Soft Buff2 Finishing pad and Collinite 476 Super Double Coat Wax.

All I need now is a decent window in the weather to give Tank his first big shine!

I also couldn't resist the tyres on Ebay I pointed out recent;y - 2 x Nokian Z in 205/40 R 17 for £65 delivered.

Yes, I'll be going down to 205 from 215, but the difference is minimal and with FSDs on, there should be plenty of comfort reserves too.

I have to say, first impressions are good: the tyres are designed in Finland and made in Japan (makes a nice change for budget tyres not to be made in China or Korea). There is a nice rim protector there and the central rib has moulded in depth indicators, as well as the mandatory tread wear bars. They'll be going on before the Scottish cruise, just in case there is a monsoon whilst up there!

Cheers,

Mike

Well, my little package arrived today: Bilt Hamber Clay, Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze, Meguiars Soft Buff2 Finishing pad and Collinite 476 Super Double Coat Wax.

All I need now is a decent window in the weather to give Tank his first big shine!

Cheers,

Mike

Well Mike that window looks like this weekend then, if you can believe what the weather man has to say ;)

I would like to fitting my wind deflectors but GY Audi still has the car and i've now got to fix the garage door :mad:, got home from work got loads to do and spring broken to the door.So if i do get the beast back wont be doing anything to it :(

Cheers Phil

PS don't let Murdo know you think it may rain:eek:, it doesn't always rain ;), it just seems like it does a bit like Manchester

Chris, although I'm loving your blue sky thinking approach to the use of modern rationalised jargon, I can't help but think that you're right!

I HATE the use of such terms and especially that one I used first: 'I love' NOT 'I am loving'!!

Goes for a lot of other phrases too!

Phil, I've got a service on Peterevans A2 tomorrow and then the rest of the weekend is handed over to Ang - I'll have to wait for a weekday window, when she's at work - remember, I'm a gentleman of leisure still (till the end of the month anyway!).

Cheers,

Mike

'thinking outside the box'.

;)

But i thought that was the hole thing of the A2 ;)

For me the Detailing could have been better but as the car was going in for door hinges on the wednesday didn't want to over do it, as they are suppose to be doing some paint on it aswell (paint and wax don't mix very well:eek:)
things can always be better (a little bit of OCD, Darren C will know all about that ;))

Cheers Phil

Chris, although I'm loving your blue sky thinking approach to the use of modern rationalised jargon, I can't help but think that you're right!

I HATE the use of such terms and especially that one I used first: 'I love' NOT 'I am loving'!!

Goes for a lot of other phrases too!

Phil, I've got a service on Peterevans A2 tomorrow and then the rest of the weekend is handed over to Ang - I'll have to wait for a weekday window, when she's at work - remember, I'm a gentleman of leisure still (till the end of the month anyway!).

Cheers,

Mike

Forgot about that, you are don't rub it in sunny all day, just goes out to drop my scooter off for service and walks out the shop and you've guessed it RAIN:mad:

Cheers Phil

(a little bit of OCD, Darren C will know all about that ;))

Cheers Phil

Cheeky... but oh so true!!:p

I have been meaning to take another look at this thread as the IT police at my work ensured that your photographs where barely viewable first time around.

A very nice job indeed mate. I am a bit of an autoglym convert myself, but I am always open to new products. I plan on lavishing my own A2 in due course, (ready for the summer), and I may well take a look at some alternative products this time around. And then of course there will be Di's to do too...

Cheers,

Darren

Ada's spring clean

Took some inspiration from Phil....here's a few pics of Ada after a bit of TLC being applied today. Still some work needed to get it up to my standards before the Scottish Cruise:eek: But its a good start and she's looking much better with the winter crud removed. You can see my condensated offside headlight in pic 3 - must sort that!

Products used:

Raceglaze Auto bathe.
Bilt Hamber clay bar - fabby stuff!
Swissvax medium cleaner fluid.
Raceglaze 55 premium wax - harder to apply than the Swissvax Onyx I have used till now, but its a lovely 'wet look' shine.
Swissvax microfibre polishing cloth.
Turtle Wax extreme tyre gel on tyres and lower plastics.

Last edited:
Back