Diesel filter housing Broken bleed bolt..REPLACED...

i have a broken bolt (plastic) which is the bleed screw at the bottom of the housing
common fault i see
i did not want to pay £60+ for a housing just for the bottom part
SO i have made a replacement in steel
it took a bit of time to figure out but ive managed it and this one will last

1. remove the bottom base
2. remove the bleed part in the middle with a 10mm socket and the broken part stuck in the top
3. find a metal bolt to the same thread ideal length is important
4. drill and tap the plastic part to same thread
5. the bolt will hold the round part in with the O ring
6. refit ... done and it works fine

Just one thought on this, and I should have done the same a couple of years ago when I had the same problem. Moisture will tend to accumulate in the bottom of the filter and the bolt will probably rust - that is why I assume Audi made this part all plastic.

i used a cadmium plated bolt
and to be honest i dont think it would rust anyway
i think the secret would be to change the diesel filter every year and inspect the bolt

But..... i am going to experiment with plastic bolts also stainless steel soon and maybe let other members have them
i just need a broken bolt/base to do more tests if anyone has one

Last edited:
Dear all, this is my first entry so hope it works... Mines a 2004 1.4 TDI. I have exactly the same problem as above, broken plastic 10mm screw in the fuel filter housing. Ive blocked the hole and pushed the lower plug back to stop it leaking but have to fix it. I'm looking for a second hand part but have 2 questions .... can I replace the whole filter unit with a metal one and is it difficult? How to change the plastic one, I don't see how to disconnect or block the hoses they look very thick?

Does anyone have any parts that can help?

I'm doing all this to change the filter itself as the car stutters when I put my foot down on the motorway. Its done it for the last couple of years I'm assuming its a lack of fule flow?

Dear all, this is my first entry so hope it works... Mines a 2004 1.4 TDI. I have exactly the same problem as above, broken plastic 10mm screw in the fuel filter housing. Ive blocked the hole and pushed the lower plug back to stop it leaking but have to fix it. I'm looking for a second hand part but have 2 questions .... can I replace the whole filter unit with a metal one and is it difficult? How to change the plastic one, I don't see how to disconnect or block the hoses they look very thick?

Does anyone have any parts that can help?

I'm doing all this to change the filter itself as the car stutters when I put my foot down on the motorway. Its done it for the last couple of years I'm assuming its a lack of fule flow?

I wouldn't bother with second hand parts. Better off just replacing the whole unit with a new one from Audi (around £60). It will come with a new filter as well. Just clamp the pipes with malgrips to limit any loss of fuel. You will have to crank the car a lot when first starting to get the fuel back through.

Back