Diesel Stink

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I park my Golf in the garage I am aware of a nasty diesel stink. Perhaps I have a sensitive nose, but are other diesel owners aware of this ?

I might add that I have recently been using Shell’s “Pura” diesel which has a lot less sulphur content, and although the situation might have improved a little I still find the stink offputting. For the record I drive into the garage bonnet first, so its not as though the exhaust is filling the garage with fumes.

Regards
John Disdale

No :)

icon_smile_cool.gif

The smell is when I park, and get out the car.If no one else experiences such a problem, then the next question has to be what sort of technical problem could contribute towards this ?

Our TDI (not a PDI engine) did not smell, and our A2 TDI does not smell either.

Assuming you have not overfilled your tank, my guess is that your Golf has a tiny fuel leak somewhere. Or else Mrs. JD has changed her perfume.

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

For sure the difference in stink when re-fuelling the car with Shell “Pura” is significantly better than when using plain diesel, but what I don’t understand is that the smell in the garage seems to me to be far more lethal than when adding “Pura” to the car.

There are no signs of oil on the garage floor, and only yesterday I photographed the engine bay which was mint. Could I have a fault or failure with the exhaust system ?

As to the poor wife, well she is struggling to accept that I only got a sunroof so that you could stand up and not wear out the leather seats.

Regards
John Disdale

John,

What's this Shell Pura Diesel ? I'm using Tesco's City stuff which doesn't smell when parked.

My friend has a Golf GT-TDI 150 and thats smell free.

Time to check out that local dealer....

2001 1.4 TDI SE, Crystal Blue, Open Sky, Climate Control, El.Rear Windows, H&R -2" suspension, 17" five spoke Canonica alloys, Alpine CD/MP3 & Genesis Components & Amps, Focal Sub all custom fitted.

I visited the dealer this morning, but they could not find anything wrong. I was asked if the smell was fuel or exhaust fumes, but admitted I was no expert in describing the stink. It was said that there could be a case the sprayed wax treatment to the underside of the car could have gone onto the exhaust system, although it was not defined if this in itself creates a diesel type smell. Meanwhile I listened to a mechanic say that he has never liked diesel cars because they all smell. Anyway I have been asked to drive another 300 miles to see if the problem still exists, and if it does they will look again.

Regarding “Pura” diesel I forget the exact facts and specifications, but as from around the year 2004 EU law will make it illegal to use plain low sulphur diesel, and all fuels will have to be very similar to “Pura” – which I might add was development with the new legislation in mind. Main benefits of “Pura” are that it contains something like 80% less sulphur, and consequently is better for the environment. It is said to be far less offensive in the stink created in filling up the car, however when it comes to the engine “Pura” is said to be brilliant in not coking up the pistons/head, whilst also offering much better combustion. Such details I did once find on a Shell internet site – so have a search if you fancy it.

Talking of fuel I was pleased that 2 days ago on a 100 odd mile return trip (some town, mostly motorway) I averaged nearly 58mpg (with AC on, plus one passenger and the dog). I thought this was terrific for a new 1.9 litre 130bhp engine with a lot of poke. Of course it’s never likely to equal an A2 TDI on consumption, but I do find it impressive – especially when I know that over the same journey my A2 petrol model would have only made around 38mpg at best.

Regards
John Disdale

JD,
I've not noticed any smell from my Golf...
But I will now check each time and advise if I can smell anything.
B.T.W I also use Shell Pura....
JD.
I purchased another Golf today for a sales rep that just joined. I'm a little upset as Frankie’s has cruise control, three headrests at the rear, rain sensors and traction control. All for the same cost of mine that was purchased 6 weeks ago...dare I swap them around????????

Well, with 2 Golf owners staying stink free it really does appear as though I have a problem in spite of the dealer thinking otherwise. I think I will telephone VW UK to ascertain under what technical circumstances a stink could exist. I shall also have a look around in Tesco’s to see if they sell a Stinkometer – hopefully one that goes up to Far-T Level 6.

I might add I have been burning a bit of engine oil (500cc over 500 miles), however I have not been at all concerned about this when I recall so many past A2 TDI owners who suffered the same in the very early stages, to then be followed up with zero oil consumption. Whether it’s at all possible that I can smell the engine oil being burnt off I don’t know. Is that possible ?

Fancy Roy buying a new Golf PD130 for his Sales Rep. Heavens until he could prove capable of earning his way I would have given him a 1980 Ford Fiesta, a spare set of wiper blades, and a packet of tea bags if he fancied stopping for lunch whilst on the road.

In terms of Roy swapping cars for the higher spec model, I’m not so sure that the gain would be worth very much. Facilities like auto rain sensors sound good, but without any risks to circuit failure when it rains by brain sends a little message to my fingertips which then flick the wipers on. I agree this option could save “finger fatigue” but physical exercise can be healthy. As to cruise control how often can you cruise along at a sustained speed these days, when half the time its brake, accelerator, brake. Regarding traction control this is standard on all Golf PD130’s so that should not be an influential factor.

If I had any concerns it might be in giving a car to a Sales Rep who believed he could cruise around because he had cruise control. This could convey the wrong message when the Sales Rep’s task should be to floor the gas pedal at all times, and thus visit as many clients in a day to obtain their orders.

Regards
John Disdale

Re: JD's last comments,

We will very shortly be disposing of an old Fiesta as that is what the A2 will be replacing. If any company bosses are after a budget company car for new employees let me know as my current list of options are
a) try and sell it in Autotrader even though it has more dents in it than a very denty thing (none of which are our fault - I blame the sociopaths leaving London @ 5pm)
b) take it down the local scrap merchant for him to suck air in over his top lip then offer us a fiver
c) a gallon of petrol & a box of matches,
d) Beachy Head - make a nice day out is suppose.

Almost a 1.4SE in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

Rob - Clearly you lack any form of optimism. A good Sales Rep could probably get another 100,000 miles out of your Fiesta, and then sell it on as a good runner.

JD,
I went to my dealer yesterday and asked for some long life oil.
Well what a performance.....
Apparently my Golf is set up for VSI BUT and it's a big but. Nobody can say hand on heart that this is the case.
Options...
Drain the oil and fill back up with long life....
Cost, approximately £80......

On the other hand I asked for 1 litre of oil. The chap asked how many miles I'd done, I advised a little over 1400; he was VERY surprised to think I needed to top up so quickly. He advised to run it until the oil warning light appears then stick some in.
It really does make me wonder in these dealers really do know what they are talking about. Surely it's better not to let the warning light come on?????
Anyway I left without purchasing the said oil or indeed booking the car in for an oil change.
I'll try a different dealer tomorrow.

John, you seem to be a special man. First you argued your A2 to death, now you're starting to do the same with your new Golf. Don't you agree that this is a bit pathological to do so? Not that I am bored, but you could do harm to yourself.

Steering,

Sounds to me that your easily bored to make such a comment, but please don’t waste your professional psychiatric abilities in worrying about me. Tesco’s still allow me to play in their carpark, so I’m not as dangerous as you may think.

Clearly you are trying to convey a message of some sort in spite of you struggling for the right words, so forgetting your medical expertise can you in simply language tell me what you might have done if you had spent £18,000 on a car and it had problematic paintwork. Would you have shared the story on this sociable forum, or would you only have told your pet goldfish.

Regards
John Disdale

Roy,

Although Audi have been into using “Longlife” oil and variable servicing intervals for at least 20 months it is all very new to VW dealers, and so I guess this accounts for the daft confusion.

I cannot believe that anyone in their right senses would recommend to anyone to drive for over 1,400 miles without checking the oil, especially when I thought everyone appreciated that VAG diesel engines burnt quite a bit in the early days. Indeed my dealer acknowledged this fact.

More importantly (be it Audi or VW) all owner handbooks recommend that the sump level is checked (a) at the start of a long journey, or (b) when re-filling with fuel (which at best might mean 600 miles). What case then can an employee at a dealership have in suggesting that the manufacturers recommendations are thrown out of the window ? If you can tell me this I will go to bed a wiser man.

Perhaps VW use different sump sensors than Audi (although I doubt it), but lets not forget on this forum there have been 2 cases where ultra low & dangerous levels failed to activate the warning light – so what nutter would opt to put all their faith in such a device.

Regards
John Disdale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back