Disconnect cowl panel grille / fresh air duct without removing wiper and washer jets. it’s vital to remove fresh air duct to get access to back side

Disconnect cowl panel grille / fresh air duct without removing wiper and washer jets.

it’s vital to remove fresh air duct to get access to back side of the engine and access EGR/ turbo / intake manifold and exhaust etc. according to workshop manuals its need to remove wiper and washer jets, however its very easily to remove fresh air duct without removing wiper and water pipes.
a2-2681.png

Pull off rubber seal on cowl panel grille from left-hand side until the wiper motor

Lift the plastic cowl panel cover
IMG_9243.JPG

there is 2 Torx screws under the plastic (same screw as size as bottom mud covers ), use this type of small screw driver to get them. Bit size is T25
IMG_9241.JPG

Job done
IMG_92441.jpg

By the way I was cleaning EGR / anti shudder valve and it was clogged up pretty badly.

IMG_9245.JPG

Last edited:
Eh, yuk! Is that a 90 or 75?

Great info thanks - I’ve tried to work out how that plastic lump is removed before. Very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s useful to know thank you. I did a neat job on the joint between the plastic cowel and windscreen with silicone. Looks tidy and reduces the amount of water draining into the engine bay
May have to replace my engine cover gasket and didn’t want to disturb that joint.

Eh, yuk! Is that a 90 or 75?

Great info thanks - I’ve tried to work out how that plastic lump is removed before. Very helpful.

Audi a2 1.4 TDI 2001 75BHP and 130K miles worth of oil and soot mix, took about 2 hours to scarped and clean, if any one doing this don't try to remove vacuum tube (tiny and brittle) from anti shudder valve actuator, instead remove two screws and remove actuator. I used WD40 for final cleaning, Diesel would be ideal for cleaning EGR.

Disconnect cowl panel grille / fresh air duct without removing wiper and washer jets.

it’s vital to remove fresh air duct to get access to back side of the engine and access EGR/ turbo / intake manifold and exhaust etc. according to workshop manuals its need to remove wiper and washer jets, however its very easily to remove fresh air duct without removing wiper and water pipes.
View attachment 40443
Pull off rubber seal on cowl panel grille from left-hand side until the wiper motor

Lift the plastic cowl panel cover
View attachment 40444

there is 2 Torx screws under the plastic (same screw as size as bottom mud covers ), use this type of small screw driver to get them.
View attachment 40445

Job done
View attachment 40446

By the way I was cleaning EGR / anti shudder valve and it was clogged up pretty badly.

View attachment 40447
Will possibly be removing my EGR valve shortly but can't find instructions in the manual. How many seals do you need? I can see a gasket and an O ring.

Was the inlet manifold solid with crud too? I guess that is left in place otherwise it would get into the cylinders?

Cheers

Phil

Will possibly be removing my EGR valve shortly but can't find instructions in the manual. How many seals do you need? I can see a gasket and an O ring.

Was the inlet manifold solid with crud too? I guess that is left in place otherwise it would get into the cylinders?

Cheers

Phil
Hi Phil,
it’s quite easy to remove EGR, only 3 Allen bolts holding up the EGR, and two more bolts connecting exhaust tube from underneath(item 13 on picture ). Once you remove exhaust tube you have easy access to EGR bolts. I have remove engine support engine support bracket from the back for better access. You only need two Allen keys for whole job 6MM and other one 5mm(I think).
A2 EGR 2.jpg

A2 EGR.jpg

There is gasket (no 11) that need renew and O ring(no 7) (very cheap on eBay) . You can use a long extension bar to remove blots from underneath car, but i used small L shape Allen keys.

I didn’t remove inlet manifold yet (gasket didn’t turned up in time), I could see inlet manifold also clogged up a bit, I’ve clean the bit with narrow spoon. Hope to take inlet manifold completely off next week for a good clean.

Last edited:
I had a go at this today and hit a snag. I can’t see how I can get to the air duct fixings without removing the scuttle trim panel, and that requires the wiper to be taken off;
a35bbcc7c84d821d759383950af9bce8.jpg

The nut holding on the wiper came off ok, but the arm itself wouldn’t budge. Any tips before I go and order a small puller?

I can see the EGR valve, there’s a liberal coating of oil:
ce4b68930b59ae4279e055a8dbc9003d.jpg

d27c904b7b4947829cdb8ae172654d30.jpg

Just posted on your other thread, park the wiper vertically and it should pull off by hand. You'll also be able to get at the smaller nut for the other half of the arm.

Just posted on your other thread, park the wiper vertically and it should pull off by hand. You'll also be able to get at the smaller nut for the other half of the arm.

Thanks, I'll try tomorrow. Meanwhile there's a small puller on it's way from Amazon Prime - also due tomorrow - you can never have too many tools.

Don't you just love living in the 21st Century!

The nut holding on the wiper came off ok, but the arm itself wouldn’t budge. Any tips before I go and order a small puller?

This tool is made for that job and is not expensive £10 ?

Tips - apply decent with WD40 or similar right away so it get as much time as possible to soak.

Cheers dieslfan

Vindusvisker arm avdrager s.jpg
Vindusviskerarm-avdrager_1 s.jpg

Last edited:
I had a go at this today and hit a snag. I can’t see how I can get to the air duct fixings without removing the scuttle trim panel, and that requires the wiper to be taken off;
a35bbcc7c84d821d759383950af9bce8.jpg

I can see the EGR valve, there’s a liberal coating of oil:
ce4b68930b59ae4279e055a8dbc9003d.jpg

d27c904b7b4947829cdb8ae172654d30.jpg

I've managed to unscrew the air duct fixings by removing washer jets and using a long handled torx through the hole in the past. removing the scuttle is much much easier though, once you have the wiper off.

If you are very careful and with the wiper out of the way i.e up the windscreen, you can lift the right end of the scuttle out of the windscreen and gently lift until inline with the washer jet on the wiper side. That will give enough clearance to get to the 2 screws securing the air duct. Support the scuttle from underneath to free up both hands.

it can also be done using a small ring spanner (ratchet if possible) and torx bit alone. Can be a little fiddly but worked for me.

Attachments

• 2B6884E2-2C04-4C42-96D0-4CA280A6856F.jpeg
    2B6884E2-2C04-4C42-96D0-4CA280A6856F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 203
Reactions: A2Z
Wd40 is a good idea. I’ll douse it tomorrow first thing. With luck the puller will be here before lunch.

Update: I did use a little puller although even then I surprised by how much torque I had to apply to the chinesium gizmo before the wiper arm sprung. Since then its been on and off a couple of times and knows how to do so (a smudge of anti-seize helps).

I ordered on Amazon and by the time I'd finished a coffee it was here. Well, just under 24 hours actually but impressive none-the-less.

Did anyone else find getting bolt 9 out a nightmare with the head of bolt 12 in the way?

Even with 12 out, the flange of 13 seems to be a wind up. Do you need to remove 13 altogether or the whole engine first until its an aluminium noodle with an EGR floating under the bonnet?

1622131561034.png

Before you start to remove any of the bolts pack the area underneath to catch a bolt if it drops. No, remove 2 off Allen bolts #12. This now gives access to the lower of the 3 off Allen bolts #9. I used a combination of long Allen keys and Allen bits on extension bar to remove the Allen bolts, shorter ends of the Allen keys for bolts #12. When refitting the #9 Allen bolts I taped them to the Allen key to stop them dropping down the back of the engine. Remember to fit a new gasket to the EGR inlet pipe #13

Update: I did use a little puller although even then I surprised by how much torque I had to apply to the chinesium gizmo before the wiper arm sprung. Since then its been on and off a couple of times and knows how to do so (a smudge of anti-seize helps).

I ordered on Amazon and by the time I'd finished a coffee it was here. Well, just under 24 hours actually but impressive none-the-less.
Hi:
Do you have a part number for O ring 7 and Gaskets 1 & 11 , also any other consumable bits, I need to change these over the bank holiday week.
Many thanks,
Ami

When I replaced my EGR earlier this year it came with the O ring already fitted in the channel and also came with 1 new EGR inlet pipe gasket. No other consumables unless you wish to replace the vacuum tube that operates the valve. Or lose any of the Allen bolts ( hence the tip about packing the area underneath first ). Bolts are tight but all can be done from above the car using the tools I mentioned.
Here is the page from the parts manual...rather than the engine manual..

Reactions: Ami
Back