Do you have a red A2????

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
The minute you see a red A2 you normally see lacquer peel.
Yet there are some of us that have a red A2 with zero lacquer peel?
There must be a reason why so many (I.e. most) have this problem yet some “escape”?

Would it be a good idea for us, as a club, to try to determine some facts about this problem?

Something like a poll/list of questions to see how many red A2 owners have peeling and how bad it is and how many don’t have ANY.
We could see if any particular panels seem unaffected.
Perhaps we could also ask, what year their A2 is? Has it ever had a respray (full or partial)? and did It return (unlikely).

Just a thought?

It's the lighter red colours that tend to suffer badly from peeling Steve as most of the Merlots and Cherries seem to be fine. I've noticed that Vauxhall light red cars are the same so it's not only Audis. It must be something in the paint or a lack of it ?

The minute you see a red A2 you normally see lacquer peel.
Yet there are some of us that have a red A2 with zero lacquer peel?
There must be a reason why so many (I.e. most) have this problem yet some “escape”?

Would it be a good idea for us, as a club, to try to determine some facts about this problem?

Something like a poll/list of questions to see how many red A2 owners have peeling and how bad it is and how many don’t have ANY.
We could see if any particular panels seem unaffected.
Perhaps we could also ask, what year their A2 is? Has it ever had a respray (full or partial)? and did It return (unlikely).

Just a thought?
It is to do with the lacquer losing its adhesion to the paint. I believe from memory, (I started out my working life restoring classic cars) red has a higher content of oxide, so it is far more prone to this. Also I think it is to do with Audi’s paint process at the time, not using a 2 stage paint.

It's the lighter red colours that tend to suffer badly from peeling Steve as most of the Merlots and Cherries seem to be fine. I've noticed that Vauxhall light red cars are the same so it's not only Audis. It must be something in the paint or a lack of it ?
Yes it is the same red paint code that suffers this.

I have seen one or two other colours suffer this but it is very rare.

Steve B

It is to do with the lacquer losing its adhesion to the paint. I believe from memory, (I started out my working life restoring classic cars) red has a higher content of oxide, so it is far more prone to this. Also I think it is to do with Audi’s paint process at the time, not using a 2 stage paint.
Yes, but my post was asking why there are some (very rare ones) that it does not effect? What changed and when and if it is not due to a change in the painting process after a certain date then i would like to try to find out more.
It does affect the one colour code in particular.
Steve B

Yes, but my post was asking why there are some (very rare ones) that it does not effect? What changed and when and if it is not due to a change in the painting process after a certain date then i would like to try to find out more.
It does affect the one colour code in particular.
Steve B
I could be a simple explanation Steve, it could just be that the cars that spent most of their lives in garages and/or were treated to proper paint protection when cleaned are the ones that have maintained their finish better. I have seen a fair few red a2s recently, and the majority, irrespective of year seem to have suffered to some extent.

Also I think it is to do with Audi’s paint process at the time, not using a 2 stage paint.
If they didn’t use a 2 stage paint, then there is no lacquer to peel.
The first stage is the paint (colour) the second stage is the clear lacquer. So it is only a two stage paint process that could peel. ?

As I have said I am intrigued as to why most of the same colour red A2s have peel but one or two do not.

A poll might help us establish sone facts regarding year of the cars that don’t suffer.
Mine is a 2004 and “peel free” could the year be the difference?
To do any such investigation needs a separate post with a questionnaire / poll to collect the facts / statistics.

A general discussion on here is fine but it does not have a structure that will give us statistics.

Steve B

I could be a simple explanation Steve, it could just be that the cars that spent most of their lives in garages and/or were treated to proper paint protection when cleaned are the ones that have maintained their finish better. I have seen a fair few red a2s recently, and the majority, irrespective of year seem to have suffered to some extent.
Yes, that is correct, but I am merely hoping to gather some facts about numbers and years affected etc.

Not to worry. We can discuss theories as well I guess.

Steve B

If they didn’t use a 2 stage paint, then there is no lacquer to peel.
The first stage is the paint (colour) the second stage is the clear lacquer. So it is only a two stage paint process that could peel. ?

As I have said I am intrigued as to why most of the same colour red A2s have peel but one or two do not.

A poll might help us establish sone facts regarding year of the cars that don’t suffer.
Mine is a 2004 and “peel free” could the year be the difference?
To do any such investigation needs a separate post with a questionnaire / poll to collect the facts / statistics.

A general discussion on here is fine but it does not have a structure that will give us statistics.

Steve B
Oops, yes your right, 2 stage ?, it seems to be worse on amulet? red of the ones I’ve seen. The ones that seem to fair the best are misano, from what I’ve seen. This is a far more complex paint though so it could be a factor, as it’s made up of different colours.

Yes, that is correct, but I am merely hoping to gather some facts about numbers and years affected etc.

Not to worry. We can discuss theories as well I guess.

Steve B
I like your idea of a list though ? nice and simple, maybe year, colour, mileage, location? So we can gain a better understanding.

I like your idea of a list though ? nice and simple, maybe year, colour, mileage, location? So we can gain a better understanding.
Exactly, colour codes would be a huge help as would year of manufacture but as you say mileage and location and perhaps has the car had any treatments, coatings or been garaged etc.

I just think we need to see what the admin team think. It is more of a club discussion rather than just me.

it would work best if the post could have a structured process so that people can post into a form of some sort so that we can analyse the responses. The admin team may be able to help with that?

Cheers

It's the lighter red colours that tend to suffer badly from peeling Steve as most of the Merlots and Cherries seem to be fine. I've noticed that Vauxhall light red cars are the same so it's not only Audis. It must be something in the paint or a lack of it

My poor cherry is peeling badly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Red CS was fine apart from a very small amount on one door handle, until I move to Lancashire 15 months ago, I put it down to living nearer the sea.
My bonnet is now peeling before my eyes, it is still brilliant to drive and I can't see the peeling whilst driving ?

The paint process for metallic is a bit more involved than for a flat paint although can’t imagine Audi scrimping on flat paint considering there were long paintwork/body warranties. I remember that the A2 had a 10 year paintwork warrant from manufacturer when I bought my first one brand new.

Metallic paint however was a cost option and I can imagine if you went to the trouble of paying extra for paint, you’d look after it. My father is the example where in the early days he’d have no problems washing his red car with fairly liquid however when he got metallic painted cars this never happened.

I was too young for my opinion to have any relevance (I was about 13), but remember lacquer peel and serious fading but this was never a problem on his metallic cars.

I’d therefore hazzard a guess that It’s the first few owner’s car care routines would dictate whether this would happen or not rather than the quality of paint itself.

Our brilliant red is peeling on the bonnet, Am going to respray it in 2K not basecoat and laquer

Forgive me, I really don’t know for sure, but isn’t 2K the same as 2 pack (I.e a base coat and a lacquer). All of my paint knowledge is secondhand so it is just hearsay. So I may be wrong.

Steve B

Back