Does spare supersaver wheel from A3 fit A2?

Olerype

Does anyone know if the wheel from A3 fits A2 with respect to offset, rubbing etc?

Does it also fit in the trunk?

Depends on what year Audi A3 it came from... You want PCD 5x100 later A3s have 5x112

The steel 'saver' wheels certainly don't save any weight, they are far heavier than the obvious alternative, to buy a 5th full size alloy wheel that matches your existing set. 16" SE six spoke rims (the most common standard spec here in the UK) are easily found used, and not particularly expensive.

Reactions: RZX
PCD is 5 times 100. These are normally less heavy&bulky than 16 SE rims, and comes typically as 120/95/15 or something like that, so they do not take that much space in the boot.

I will doublecheck the offset and tyre size.

Pretty sure A3 will not fit due to the offset ET in the wheel even though PCD is correct.

Even if they fit the arches the traction control and ABS will not be happy with the difference in wheel speeds.

Do not think the ABS/ESP will kick in because it does not when running on low tyre pressure which is similar.

But guess I just need to try to find out..

A difference in circumference is the norm when using a space saver spare wheel. You are of course speed limited while running the saver, and it is definitely best to fit it on the non powered axle, even if that involves shuffling the wheels to achieve that.

If you're running 225 R18s on your regular wheels I'm not surprised you're unenthusiastic about getting a fifth matching wheel. In your position, I'd put greater emphasis on buying premium quality tyres and on replacing them sooner rather than later, with an aerosol in the boot for emergency use rather than faff about with a space saver.

Why would you bother, just get a second hand alloy, doesn't have to match as long as it's the same size, I currently have a Skoda alloy in one of my A2s, at least I won't be speed restricted should the worst happen.

Because I do not want a heavy bulky wheel to occupy my boot. And 80kmh is more than enough in Norway; it is just a matter to get home/garage to repair the flat tire. You do not want to be stuck in a winterstorm highlands at night with family and a flat tire.

Will report back as soon as I have tried the wheel; if it fit on car, and how it fit in the boot.

Yes the ABS and traction control will get confused with the different wheel sizes, the best option is to put in on the rear, but you could end up changing 2 tyres just to get home. Aerosol glue not ideal and most tyres are not repairable after using it but can get you home ( unless hole too big or in the sidewall ). Personally I would have either a steel wheel or an alloy spare in the boot of the same size as you have fitted to the car. Sorry but the space sacrifice out weighs the hassle of a incorrect space saver.

Strangely enough you mention low tyre pressure not affecting ABS /traction, well in laters cars that use TPM the ABS does pick up the difference in wheel speed when tyres deflate. Technology has moved on in the 20 years since our little aluminium chums were designed.

Not sure what size wheels you are running, but for norway I would have thought you should be on 15" with winter tyres. These small wheels are quite light and compact. They even fit under the false floor.

Picked up the space saver wheel yesterday; will come back with more info and photos soon.

Aerosol glue and air compressor is a joke, will never work roadside, and the glue expires every 4-5 years and new one cost the same as a spare space saver wheel. My 50 cents.

To be continued...

Back