Does the air-conditioning need to be serviced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chivers

Does it? What care does it need (from the dealer) if it is working right?

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

Chivers

Please excuse what I'm about to say if you know it already (you are a seasoned A2 owner afterall), but for the benefit of others....

Yes, you can have the system serviced maybe once a year if your super strict, or once every two/three years. The system may need a gas recharge and general grease/check.

Other than that, some pointers for best running are:

Always run the unit at least once a week for a good 20 minutes. This is fine in summer-it's on 100% of your driving time, but in the winter regular running will help keep things sweet.

About 5 minutes before your due to turn off the unit (e.g. arrive at your destination) turn off the aircon part of the system and just run through normal outside air-this will help dry the dampness in the vents and help prevent a nasty smell.

If you do get a nasty smell, you can buy special sprays to spray into the vents to clear it.

But at the end of the day, the system will need servicing. Usually the dealer will have a fixed price for this. There are independent aircon set-ups who will do the work cheaper-the choice is yours.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

The special spray seems to out of stock with Audi at the mo'. I took mine in last Friday for this very reason (amongst other things) and even though it was booked in 10 days prior to that, they still couldn't get the anti-bacterial spray. Ho-hum!
Mike

A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!)

Doesn't the standard service schedule call up aircon servicing?

I find that I always use the aircon in the winter - it helps to de-mist the windows quickly. Apparently thought, all Auidi's switch of the compressor if the external air tmep is below 5 degrees C.

MartinW - Dolphin Grey 1.4SE

SEAT's do the same-low temps outside mean auto shut off of the air con unit.

I run the aircon all the time in the A4 (mainly better for my allergies) and I only get the smell after it comes back on the first time after a cold snap and the AC has been off due to <5°C.

I'm sure it does wonders for my MPG..

Ade,
After reporting my dismal fuel economy to the dealer, I was assured that, inspite of what DIS says, the CC doesn't have much effect on economy - "having the window open will have a greater effect"! This is coming from the service manager at Smith Kight Fay, Stockport, but do you believe him?
Mike

A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!)

I'm not sure exactly what effect the CC has on MPG - depends on the outside temp. If it's hot, then the CC is working harder etc.
I bet it only makes 2 or 3 mpg difference - not really an issue.

Sorry guys but this topic has been aired a lot and....[}:)].
sorry coordinator boy but turning the compressor off just before finishing will encourage mould growth.
Just leave it on all the time that is the way cc is designed. Air con is slightly different but should be left on. The cold inhibits/kills bacteria. ;)

icon_smile_cool.gif

Not sure if I agree with you. If the ducting is very cold, then suddenly the supply of chilled air stops, surely condensation will form in the said ducting. This will then attract bacteria and nasty smells. I agree that the next time you use it you may freeze the little devils to death, but then you'll turn off the cold air and the cycle starts again.

The idea of letting non-chilled air through the ducts was to gently warm them and prevent a huge amount of condensation forming.

And what's all this 'coordinator boy' stuff?.

Don't want to stir anything up as a 'new boy' on the block, but running the Audi CC for over 4 years in my A4, the only time it smells is when I have previously run the car with the CC off (even for a few minutes). Next time I start her up with CC it smells. If you run it all the time it's sweet as a nut.

Just my observation, I bet there's probably millions of the microscopic little beggers eating away at my lungs as we speak [:p]

Chivers,

AirCon does need servicing. A typical Aircon system of the A2's size will be charged with anything between 150 to 250g of Freon (R134a). As a general guide line, most Aircon manufacturers expect there systems to to lose approximately 3g/year (5g/year max) - due to various reasons. Since the initial charge has around 5% tolerance, then in normal circumstances the system should be OK for at least over 3 years (same a warranty strangely enough). Couldn't find reference in my service manual, however the dealer should inadvertantly check the system at every service, as part of the system analysis check. The Aircon panel measures the pressure, hence refridgerant volume in the system - if it is too low, the service engineer will get some feedback/indication.

Steve,

Maersk's comments are correct. One piece of info he didn't add is the mould growth takes place on, or very close to the AC evaporator. When considering the whole system, then nearly all of excess water in the system would be in this region. If the Aircon is on, then very little bacteria can grow. You logic is also correct, however to be honest the amount of water in the ducting is very little in comparison, and therefore never causing any problems.

Kaine

(aka - automotive aircon engineer)

I stand corrected then. Still want to know what this 'coordinator' boy malarky is-I may get him banned from Tesco's in retaliation:)

There are two ways of checking if it still works.

1). Your Pepsi Max stays cold whilst driving to the beach.

2). You can hang your coat of you wife's........

Sorry to lower the tone.

:D

2001 1.4 TDI SE, Crystal Blue, Open Sky, Climate Control, El.Rear Windows, H&R -2" suspension, 17" five spoke Canonica alloys, Alpine CD/MP3 & Genesis Components & Amps, Focal Sub all custom fitted.

[}:)]Coordinator boy malarky, I should dearly like to be close enough to Tesco to be banned from it! Whatever the hell it is!
Totally Enormous Silly Coordinator Officer?
Sorry boss.
Youwill probably ban all my posts now.[}:)][:0]

icon_smile_cool.gif

paulj - don't quite understand the second method of telling whether the CC is working - do you have any pictures?

Dear Kaine

Thank you very, very much. I read an article in a light-weight French car magazine that suggested the following service program for the a/c:
EVERY YEAR: Measure temperatures at the vent outlets, check weight of a/c fluid, clean the "air cirucit," check the moisture content.
EVERY 2 YEARS: change the R13A gas and oil, antibacterial treatment for the circuit, change the passenger compartment air filter, check for possible leaks.
EVERY 4 YEARS: change the desicating bottle.

They pointed out some astronomical costs. Can we ignore all that?

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

Hi Chivers,

I dont know the A2 system in detail, however some comments on the magazines statements;

EVERY YEAR
1) Measure the temperatures a the vent outlets - dont bother unless you believe something is not right. Most of us can only tell if we are comfortable or not. Measuring the temperature at the outlets will not help.
2) check weight of a/c fluid - as my previous reply.
3) clean the air duct - The A2 has a filter (UK fit is standard), therefore this is not necessary.
4) check the moisture content - of what refrigerant? air? To be honest, either way this is a little pointless unless you have a particular problem, i.e. screen demist is not working.

EVERY 2 YEARS
How old is the magazine? All new vehicles from early '90s onwards had to use R134a for environmental reasons.

EVERY 4 YEARS
Depends upon mileage (hence usage) however this is probably the only good bit of advice.

My opinion:
To be honest, most of us are very accute to our surrounding environment. If you are used to setting your A/C at say 21 deg, then if some problem with the system happens, or a general service is required, you will notice. I would say that if you are comfortable with in car temp, then the system is OK. Unless some problem happens, I would recommend just to follow the dealer service checks.

Out of interenst however, since it doesn't appear in the service manual I will give my local dealer a call some time this week to enquire whether the service schedule actually does cover the a/c.

Kaine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back