Door skin or new door?

fizgig1

Good afternoon all,

Just wondering what is the best route when it comes to a large scrape on a door.

I see breakers with whole doors and some others with skins.

Thoughts on the easiest route please.

Thanks in advance.

Swapping the door is so much easier the door skins are available but more of a specialty job.. I’m sure if you search a well known auction site I’m sure you will find one the same colour or post in the wanted section you’ll be surprised what we all have tucked in our garages..

I scraped two doors on my A2 and made an insurance claim. The insurance company wanted to write off the car and sell it for salvage but I wouldn't allow them to collect it. Eventually we agreed a cash in lieu of repair figure. I think 2 doors cost approximately £1000.00 new? Never fit them still waiting for paint.
If I were doing this repair now I would probably look for good used doors in the correct colour.

Thanks guys. That’s what I thought. Just wanted to confirm I wasn’t missing a trick!

Cheers.

I have a spare rear passenger door if that’s of any use? It’s azur blue.
Thanks Kleynie. I think the rear doors are the only panels that the previous owner didn’t manage to tag in the car park! ? thanks for the offer anyway. Crystal Blue wheel arches on the other hand... ?

Sciroccorrado hi,

The colour code of my tatty A2 is LY7R Crystal Blue. Sarge has kindly confirmed this from the label in the boot. That said I often see confusion between the blue and silver on online breakers. Having spent a small fortune getting it back on the road after a massive MOT failure the smarting up has been delayed a few weeks ( had I seen Steve B’s excellent show car prior I would have bought that! ) anyway I will in due course be needing various panels and both bumpers. However perhaps I will start with the interior ie hard touch buttons or replacement units on the radio and air conditioning. I know nothing so need to understand basic things that you chaps already know about radios and Dins!? ? keen to change the seats too so perhaps blue or black.

Sorry that has turned in to a bit of an essay!

I have much to learn, and lots of reading to do on this excellent resource. Thanks to all of you for sharing the knowledge. Sarge has been very helpful too. I hope to be able to help him clear his drive! However small the contribution.

Thanks all.

Hi Fizgig - in the words of Yoda "Much have you to learn"... ;) I think it's fair to say that when it comes to Audi A2s, take any conventional advise and theories and throw them out the window especially when it comes to stereos and a lot of parts etc.

I think my best advise would be to start a little "project" page and say what you WANT to get from the car (ie good stereo, clean sound, soft/hard ride, comfy, clean looking inside, outside, leather seats, etc. etc.) then as for recommendations. You'll probably struggle to find two similar (let alone identical) A2s on this forum certainly as everybody wants something different, and the ease of upgrading A2s is legendary.

BTW I don't have any LY7R parts I'm afraid, so I can't help you there :) but I might be able to help with other bits.

sciroccorrado thanks:),
I love the fact that nearly all A2's are different ;) I'll slowly pick things up and hopefully learn some new skills along the way.

Back