Doors locking on there own

Chiefmechanic

My cousins 2001 1.4 fsi will lock all the doors unless the engine is running. Even with the keys in the ignition but no engine running it will lock all the doors and continue to try locking the doors every 30 seconds or so. If the doors are locked with the key then it doesn’t try to lock them again. It’s only if I walk away without manually locking the car. Any ideas. Brian

I'm no expert but would hazard a guess at defective microswitches in the door lock so the car doesn't register that it has been opened and tries to lock itself again after the standard time delay after the remote is pressed. Do the interior lights illuminate and the door open diagram on the dash show the driver's door when the driver's door is opened?

I would second that it is a microswitch, probably on the driver's door. Does the same thing happen if another door is opened after unlocking with the remote?

Checked the car today and the drivers door indicator on the dash registers when the door is open or closed. The interior lights also go off when the car is locked. If another door switch won’t fix the fault can VCDS code it out.
Brian

I am not aware of any way to "code it out" using VCDS. It is not a complicated set up and basically the switch appears to be failing so I am sure you will be able to fix / replace it.

Steve B

Last edited:
I’m getting another drivers door switch but in the meantime can I disconnect the electric plug to the drivers door lock to stop the car auto locking. I know I need to lock it manually if possible but I need to stop the battery going flat overnight

After more fiddling I have found that if I lock the door with the key in the drivers door instead of using the remote then the car does not try to lock itself. This will do until I get another drivers door lock.
Brian

Back